Questions

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Questions

Postby striker » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Starting to enjoy FS2020 again after this recent update and the introduction of choppers so I can at last enjoy the scenery in better detail.

But a few things are annoying me.

1. How do you minimise the game so you can do some other stuff and come back to your flight?
2. Any way to save the flight? So you can set up a scenario and go straight to it in free flight
3. How to remove the instruments when you go to outside view?
4. How to easily pan around your aircraft as you can in FSX?
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Questions

Postby CHUCK79 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Hello!

1)Alt+Enter tabs out.

2)Pause the sim. At bottom of pause menu there is a "Load/Save" button.

3) I don't know if you can do this...seems like you should be able to though.......

4) the "ins" key (next to "home") activates the drone cam. It's the one I prefer. I use an Xbox
controller to "fly" the drone to take screenshots.

Hope this helps!
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Daube » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:56 am

I think the instruments in the outside view can be disabled through the "assistance" section of the options.
Concerning the ALT+ENTER, this will simply switch the display from full screen to windowed (and vice-versa), which makes it easier to reduce to the taskbar ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby striker » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:16 am

Thank you!

Another. Can you move the globe around in the Freeflight menu so you can decide where to explore rather than have to do that in Google Earth and then select start point in FS2020?
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am

Yes, you can rotate the globe, zoom in and out, and the more you zoom, the more local airports you see.
When you click on an airport, you can either set it directly as starting point (or destination), or you can "zoom to details" which offers the maximum zoom to see the whole airport structure (runways and parkings) to select a starting position more precisely.
If you choose a runway, then your flight will start with engines running.
If you choose a parking spot, then your flight will start cold&dark.
If you click anywhere that is not a starting point (white dots), then your flight will start airborne. That one of the things I dislike in MSFS. I wish I could start anywhere on the ground, but it's not possible unless you select one of the available starting spots for that airport/airfield.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby striker » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 pm

Thank you. But what I mean is rotate the globe in freeflight. I know about clicking and zooming but if I'm looking at the USA in the middle of the screen, how do I rotate the globe around so Europe, or Asia is the center of the screen? As you know Google Earth just uses the mouse to rotate and zoom.

I'm also not impressed so far by the clicking airports because many do not show up details or even name when youzoom in and click them. What am I missing?
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 am

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question fully...
In the freeflight menu, when you look at the globe, you can rotate it exactly like you rotate it in Google Earth/map. Just click and drag.
Is that what you were talking about ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:20 am

I just checked again.
In the main menu of the sim, when I go to the section "Worldmap" to create a new flight, I can just use the left button of the mouse to drag&drop the globe to rotate it in any direction.
The mouse wheel controls the zoom level.
Then, when I zoom in to a certain area with small airports, if I zoom enough, the airport switches from a small white dot to a round icon. If I hover the mouse cursor on that airport icon (without clicking), a popup window appears showing the name of the airport as well as its ICAO code.
The difficult thing is, if the runway is very small, then there are the runway starting points very close to that icon, so I have to carefully aim at the icon to get the name, not hover over the runways points.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby striker » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:28 am

Must be something in settings. Doesn't work for me. The earth is fixed no matter what I do.

https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1669934396.mp4
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:51 am

Thanks for that video, the problem is very clear. It's the first time I see such a problem.
I did a quick search and found some discussions from people having the same problem as you. It seems a workaround could be to reset the configuration of the mouse "profile" in the simulator:
FIX - reset your mouse control to the default profile
controls → preset manager → mouse → reset to defaults
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Touchdown » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Just a couple of questions:

Q1: How do you save/load a flight? Some of the bush and discovery flights are so long that real life interjects and prevents me from finishing.

Q2: Some community add-ons cannot be uninstalled in content manager. How can I get rid of them?
Touchdown
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:19 am

For saving and loading a flight, I don't remember right now but isn't there simply an option/item that appears at the bottom of the screen whenever you hit the ESC key ?
For the community addons, you do not handle them via the content manager. You can simply delete manually the corresponding folder of the addon in your Community folder.
You should only use the content manager to handle the addons that you got from the marketplace, as well as the default sim content.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020