MSFS 40th anniversary edition

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

MSFS 40th anniversary edition

Postby Daube » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:48 am

Hi all,

Yesterday there has been an expected announcement from MS and Asobo about a new "edition" of MSFS coming this year in November 2022.
This new edition, called 40th anniversary, is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Flight simulator franchise.
Just like the GOTY edition that was released last year, this new edition will include some new planes and helicopters, as follows:

Historical Aircraft:
Wright Flyer
Ryan NYP (“Spirit of St. Louis”)
Douglas DC-3
De Havilland Canada DHC-2-Beaver

Helicopters:
Bell-407
Guimbal Cabri G2

Gliders:
DG Flugzeugbau LG8-18
DG Flugzeugbau DG1001E neo

True-to-Life Airliner:
Airbus A310

All of these will come for free and anybody will be able to download these new addons once they are released, no matter which version of MSFS you have (standard or premium or premium deluxe).
It's also important to note that these aircraft are not made by Asobo. They are in fact made by third parties, within a collaboration agreement with Asobo. For example, the DC-3 is made by Aeroplane Heaven, while the Beaver is made by Milviz.

The most impressive one is probably the Airbus A310, which is made by Inibuilds. This addon maker might not be famous (yet) in the FS world because they are actually coming from the Xplane world. That plane does in fact already exist in Xplane 11, and is known to be of very good quality and realism. Inibuilds has announced their plane has been improved further for MSFS, which is really great news, especially we get all of that for free :o I would encourage you to check the reviews of the plane for XPlane in order to get an idea about what kind of quality level you can expect here.

Finally, in addition to all of these planes that will be available in November 2022, there is one more addon which is available for free as well, but also available right now: the Pelican from the Halo video game franchise. This is a purely Sci-Fi / Fun addon, which is of course a pure advertisement for the Halo video game from Microsoft, but still it's nice to get a fun addon very nicely modelled both inside and out, with both a VTOL and conventional flight mode (switchable from the cockpit). This plane can be downloaded immediately from the marketplace within the sim, for free of course.

Here is a video of the announcement (watch until the end to see the Halo spaceship part ;) ):
https://youtu.be/l_F20n8BwME

And a link to the announcement:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/12/ ... niversary/
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: MSFS 40th anniversary edition

Postby CHUCK79 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Sweet!
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:37 am

I'm kind of looking forward to the glider, although I'm already using the freeware DG-808 made by the team named "Touching Cloud", who also made the famous utility program "Kinetic Assistant" (which also has a freeware version).
Flying a glider in MSFS is, to me, much more enjoyable than it was in FSX, P3D or XPlane. This is mostly due to the superior graphic quality, which really provides a nice rendering of the surrounding scenery and a greater pleasure to fly.

I have read somewhere that MSFS now includes thermals as well, by default... Until very recently, it could only simulate ridge lift, thermals were missing and Kinetic Assistant was one way to get some. I guess the next sim update (Sim Update 10/X) will bring some additional improvement to the weather/air masses simulation, as well as support for helicopters, since an "official" one is coming in November finally :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby striker » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:58 am

Are we going to have to buy this? In other words, is this a mandatory update that will require purchase or if we do not want to buy can we continue to use the original MSFS20 version we have now?

I am not keen on sending more money on this. Simple as that.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:19 am

As I wrote in the first message, it's a free addon. Just like the GOTY edition was.
EDIT: you realize "a mandatory update that require buying" does not make much sense, right ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020