Wow. This is going to take some learning...

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Wow. This is going to take some learning...

Postby Wing Nut » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:07 pm

I'm thinking the days of just hitting keys to see what happens are long gone?
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Wow. This is going to take some learning...

Postby Sim Picklens » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:53 am

It takes a while to bar hop along the Florida Keys, Better call a taxi
Sim Picklens
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:59 am

This is one of the things that p!$$=$ me off about it. Each time I try to assign a key I get the message the key is used by another function, so what would happen to that function?

I cannot click on autopilot in the VC (or any buttons). I just get some message about using a key but that key doesn't do it
How to pause
How to raise eyepoint in flight for landings
Ground steering. I cannot get my joystick or any key to do this
And it goes on....... :think:

I keep giving it a try but each time I get so frustrated that I just quit. Luckily I love P3D.

Might help if I had more patience :roll:
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:43 am

cevans wrote:This is one of the things that p!$$=$ me off about it. Each time I try to assign a key I get the message the key is used by another function, so what would happen to that function?

I cannot click on autopilot in the VC (or any buttons). I just get some message about using a key but that key doesn't do it

I'm surprised about your remark concerning the autopilot that is not clickable and tells you about using keys instead ?
MSFS is pretty much identical for the most part to FSX or P3D regarding the controls. You just use the mouse and click or use the scroll wheel to interact with a clickable button and that's it. I almost never use the keyboard, in fact, excepted for changing view or going into the menu.
If you are facing a strange behavior of the mouse interaction, you might still be in the new interaction mode that was introduced with a recent update last year. You might want to go into the options and revert the mouse interaction system back to "legacy", which will make it work like FSX/P3D without any blueish areas.

How to pause

You can press the "Pause" key or simply press the "ESC" key to display the menu.

How to raise eyepoint in flight for landings

Just like in FSX or P3D, there are some keys you can assign to that.

Ground steering. I cannot get my joystick or any key to do this

I still use my simple MS Sidewinder FFB2 joystick and the ground steering is just assigned to the rudder axis, like it was in FSX and P3D.

And it goes on....... :think:

I keep giving it a try but each time I get so frustrated that I just quit. Luckily I love P3D.

Might help if I had more patience :roll:

The way to setup the controls is not more complex than it is in P3D. The menus are just different, but the functionnality is the same. Yes it takes a little bit of patience to learn, but we're talking about what here ? Two, three minutes tops ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cevans » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:33 am

Due respect but it's not the same for everyone.

MSFS is pretty much identical for the most part to FSX or P3D regarding the controls.

Simply no. All my controls are default as FSX and P3D. Nothing changed. But in MSFS2020 they fail to work for the 1st time

'P' has no effect on anything. In P3D and FSX it pauses the sim

Assign keys for raise eyepoint: well since FS2004 it's been the same in FSX and P3D. But in Asobo FS the same keyboard keys are already used by another action

I still use my simple MS Sidewinder FFB2 joystick and the ground steering is just assigned to the rudder axis, like it was in FSX and P3D.

Again no. I think you assume because your joystick works very easily all others will. Mine is a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas and with that Asobo FS is a complete PIA.

In all MSFS up to now (FS9/FSX/ plus P3D) I use my joystick rudder control on the throttle lever. In FS20 it does not work. Nor does using mouse in VC. Nor the throttle twist.

And in VC my mouse will NOT press buttons on the cockpit. The finger comes on but then a message about using a keystroke but with a square around it. Neither works. I wish I could show you a video of this so you will believe it.

Probably if I had more patience I could work out and assign many different keys to controls but I do not. I like things easy. Even my toggle switch to pan view did not work so I assigned it. Now it only does 90degree angle views. A PIA!

It's very offputting
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby villagedefrance » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:39 am

I am with you on this.

I admire the work Asobo has put in MSFS. The concept is good and the world scenery looks great, but there are so many frustrating bits in it.
To start with, the loading time is abysmal, and most of the aircrafts feel kind of dull, like arcade type, not simulation.

I was part of the beta and purchased my copy before launch day. It was very exciting initially but then I got bored.
I converted some FSX aircrafts and dug deep into the SDK to learn and to tune my flight dynamics and ... oh boy! so incomplete! MSFS is missing so many parameters it is hard to believe and we are 2 years in. Here is a little list of some of the most frustrating ones:
- Auto-feather does not work for propellers. So no prop reversing. However this should be fixed in SU8. We will see ...
- The maximum number of blades for propellers is 4 according to the SDK! Even though the TBM930 as 5.
- Propellers cannot contra-rotate (it does somehow but you can't start the engine), so a twin prop has to have its props turning the same way.
- Contact points for wheels is limited to 3! Even the the default B747-8i has only 3 points (the center main gear is using the right wing contact point). This should allow for 18 wheels at least!
- No bypass ratio for jet engines!
... and so on.

Hopefully things will get better with time but right now it doesn't feel right for me.

So I am back with the 16 years old FSX. Lovely!
villagedefrance
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020