Gaming Laptop For FS2020

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Gaming Laptop For FS2020

Postby Grover2005 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:49 am

OK, please hear me out…I am downsizing my living situation and will have much less room for computer gear (Sigh…) So here’s my question: Does anyone here fly with FS2020 using a 17" gaming laptop? Sure, the move is currently to 32" screens and blazing desktops, but I just won’t have the room…There are some decent deals out there right now on gaming laptops with excellent components and beautiful screens…And, I will almost certainly be sitting closer to the laptop than I am my monitor…I will welcome any opinions or suggestions! Thanks…
Grover2005
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Gaming Laptop For FS2020

Postby Daube » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:35 pm

It's hard to reply...
The thing is, I know these laptops can have quite a decent computing power and quite nice video cards.
But I really wonder about the cooling of the internal components in such a small case.

I have currently a medium-big computer tower, with many fans. When I trigger MSFS, just reaching the main menu, the fans on my GTX1070-ti already jump to maximum speed, and that's quite noisy. Then I fear the fans on the laptop would also go full speed, and these are known to be very noisy (since they are smaller diameter and turn faster...). This might end up being unconfortable...

That being said, I have never owned a modern gaming computer, so I don't really know how noisy they would get...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby hertzie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Did I play MSFS2020 on my 17" laptop: yes (till 9 months ago). Did I like it? No, 17" is too small. As I have a pocket-beamer, I played it on the wall, to discover that the resolution of the beamer doesn't do right to the sims great sceneries. MY (!) conclusion: if you want value for money with MS2020 you'll have to invest in a heavy PC with a lot of memory (what laptops don't have) and a BIGGGGGG screen (what laptops also don't have). An investment I cannot afford, besides another conclusion I (!) made: MSFS2020 isn't a flightsim, it's a game.

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:13 pm

hertzie wrote:Did I play MSFS2020 on my 17" laptop: yes (till 9 months ago). Did I like it? No, 17" is too small. As I have a pocket-beamer, I played it on the wall, to discover that the resolution of the beamer doesn't do right to the sims great sceneries. MY (!) conclusion: if you want value for money with MS2020 you'll have to invest in a heavy PC with a lot of memory (what laptops don't have) and a BIGGGGGG screen (what laptops also don't have). An investment I cannot afford, besides another conclusion I (!) made: MSFS2020 isn't a flightsim, it's a game.

hertzie.

You can't play MSFS nicely on your pocket beamer then MSFS is not a flightsim ? Are you serious ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cherokee Flyer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:34 pm

Last year I got a Laptop MSI GE75 17 in. intel I7 nvidia 2070 1tb m.2 ssd. runs msfs good 40fps on high settings and using mod for google map scenery. This year Costco has a MSI GE76 for same price as last year but next gen I7 CPU and 3060 GPU,Best deal I've found. On Sell on Nov 25. $1,199
I also bought a 27" curved Monitor and works Great.
Cherokee Flyer
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby EVVFCX » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:11 pm

I have 2 gaming laptops, oldest one runs FSX and P3D V4 quite well. My 'current' laptop is 3.5 yrs old and runs MSFS/FS2020 fine and usually stays between 25 to 40 fps to a 15" display, it's good enough but when I link to a 4K LG it comes alive, default setting is on ultra. I turn down the AI which I don't really need, this is all on an RTX2060.
I did increase the memory from 16gb to 32gb but I must say I'm looking at a replacement laptop but also just considering replacing the C drive ssd to a much larger size.
According to the manufacturer, it can't have an ssd larger than 1TB but has been tested by a major memory supplier as running a 4TB without problems.

In both laptops the fans don't run flat out but they do run up for a few seconds every 15 mins or so, don't put laptops on a soft surface and leave plenty of room for air to move around.
So based on shortage of room then why not go for a good laptop.

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020