Microsoft Flight Simulator are you still playing it?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Microsoft Flight Simulator are you still playing it?

Postby Scott103 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:52 am

Games been out a good few weeks now so just curious are people who weren't fully into Simulators are you still playing this?
I think the game is stunning world looks amazing but I just have no drive to play again once I've been to the main landmarks I know I ll probably get downvoted for this just wish there was some other things to do in the game/ work towards.
It would be good if Microsoft made a horizon type style version of a game like this
Scott103
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator are you still playing it?

Postby Daube » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:39 am

A good few weeks ? :shock:

Anyways, if I understood correctly, your question is more aimed at casual gamers that didn't really use simulators in the past.
I don't think you'll find any of these on this forum. SimV is dedicated to simulators. People registering to this forum are usually using simulators more than any other kinds of games. So you probably won't receive many answers ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:12 am

If you mean msfs 2020 the answer is no. I got sick of all the tedious updates so I now use X-Plane 11 and fsx.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ConcordeError404 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:15 am

Sinkrate wrote:If you mean msfs 2020 the answer is no. I got sick of all the tedious updates so I now use X-Plane 11 and fsx.

ye, FSX can run on my USB while MSFS requires a literal gaming PC
better off flying FSX and P3D
If you are unable to fly an aircraft, become the aircraft
-the guy who came with concept of a wing suit, perhaps
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:45 am

Concorde001 wrote:
Sinkrate wrote:If you mean msfs 2020 the answer is no. I got sick of all the tedious updates so I now use X-Plane 11 and fsx.

ye, FSX can run on my USB while MSFS requires a literal gaming PC
better off flying FSX and P3D

FSX on a USB? I guess you're kidding :D

To the original poster. MSFS has been a simulator for decades. (Wiki). I think it dates back to the early 1980's and developed up to FSX. Lockheed Martin took the FSX platform and still developing it further in P3D.
The new 'MSFS' (aka FS2020) has broken away from the original platform and is developed by a gaming company Asobo. It does require a pretty powerful PC to run it and if, like me, you're not living in a city with superfast broadband connection the regular updates can take many hours to download and you cannot use the 'game' until the download has finished. I start MSFS at night before bed and in the morning the update (typically 20GB) has still not finished. Additionally MSFS is still really in beta, with a gamey feel about it. Flight characteristics and other aspects (like changing aircraft or location when using it) are also a pain to use for any long term FS user (or real pilot). It seems to be aimed primarily for future payware mainly addons as the design programs required are not cheap.

I've tried it many times and I still don't like it. So I'm staying with P3D. I am pretty passionate about freeware too! If it gets to the point where I can use it as it downloads updates and I can change location/aircraft mid flight without having to restart then I may rethink.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:09 am

FSX on a USB sounds indeed like a joke.

Concerning MSFS there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding it's performance. The thing is, MSFS actually has better performance than FSX or P3D ever had.

On the same hardware, you will get a smoother experience with MSFS than FSX or P3D, provided you keep within the same levels of details across sims.
For example, in P3Dv4, flying over major airports or cities would come with a big FPS hit, which doesn't happen in MSFS. Same can be said about XPlane11 for example, which also provides quite good performances like MSFS.
The difference is also impacting the VR experience with the exact same logic.
And that's on an i7 8700k with a GeForce 1070-ti, so very far from high-end hardware...

The main problem is the necessity of a fast internet connection, yes.
My brother has a "medium-low" connection with speeds barely reaching 17 Mb/sec if I'm not mistaken. He can nevertheless use the sim without issues. The updates take a long time indeed, he lets them run through the day and night if necessary. Sometimes he also uses the tethering of his mobile phone 4G internet connection to go a bit faster as well.

Concerning the beta stage of the sim right now, this is unfortunately going to last for a while. We all know that.
Nevertheless, in its current state, the sim already provides a fantastic experience that other sims don't provide (yet, XP12 is just around the corner...). The latest World Update has transformed Switzerland so much I just can't get enough of exploring it in the helicopter or other slow aircrafts. I crossed the country just 10 days ago and it was a pleasure to follow the same route later on in the simulator to see the landscape from another, higher, angle :D
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby papituwall » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:58 am

The question should be: which simulators you keep in your system after using MSFS? Do you use any of them?

@Daube, do your brother feel MSFS enough good in offline mode?

My statistics on installed sims:

MSFS: 97%
X-plane 11: 2 %
P3D v5: 0%
FSX: 0%
DCS: 1%
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby yancovitch » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:49 am

hmmmmm.....funny, but no matter how beautiful the scenery, without moving people, it still feels like flying over a world wide apocalypse...a mausoleum...a mass cemetery....tends to be somewhat depressing..especially for low flyers....which makes me wonder....what is attractive in this world ...the scenery or the people..hmmm......but maybe the world really doesn't need people :D....but naaaa...the world needs an audience :D ....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Daube » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:08 pm

papituwall wrote:The question should be: which simulators you keep in your system after using MSFS? Do you use any of them?

@Daube, do your brother feel MSFS enough good in offline mode?

My statistics on installed sims:

MSFS: 97%
X-plane 11: 2 %
P3D v5: 0%
FSX: 0%
DCS: 1%

I don't know, he never uses the offline mode :/
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ejwells409 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:22 am

Scott103 wrote:Games been out a good few weeks now so just curious are people who weren't fully into Simulators are you still playing this?
I think the game is stunning world looks amazing but I just have no drive to play again once I've been to the main landmarks. I know I'll probably get voted down for this, just wish there was some other things to do in the game/work towards.
It would be good if Microsoft made a horizon type style version of a game like this

I agree with Daube in that you are looking at people who don't see MSFS (or FSX or X-Plane or P3D+) as the Simulator it is meant to be but rather a "Game" that rewards you for certain scenarios (which it actually does in a way). We are generally aviation enthusiasts of one sort or another (Private Pilots, Professional Pilots, Aircraft enthusiast who enjoy flying virtually anywhere in the world, people working towards a PPL and so on).

If it is MSFS 2020 that you are talking about and simply "Gaming" is what you got it for. . . .you wasted your money.
ejwells409
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020