Sim will not reload

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Sim will not reload

Postby wayneman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:40 pm

I purchased Msfs 2020 when it first came out and later on I began having a few glitches so I took off the pc with the intention of downloading a clean version. When I go to the Microsoft store it recognizes that I own it but it will not let me download it again. I’m not much of a computer guy so I searched all over for a way to reach a human at Microsoft but i guess you know how that worked out. It’s been months and I go back and try again every couple weeks but get nothing. I think I wasted my money. Im just at a loss as to what to try.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Sim will not reload

Postby Dave T » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:43 am

I don't have it because I didn't want to deal with this nonsense. People on other forums have had similar issues. Is it through Steam or Microsoft?

Make sure windows 10 is updated, Xbox app installed and updated, rename community folder.

Good luck.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:25 am

I think I wasted my money. Im just at a loss as to what to try.

I KNOW you wasted your money. :lol: :lol: :lol: You could try X-plane 11, or failing that, just go back to FSX :doh:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:48 am

The question would be: how did you uninstall it at first ?
If you got the MS Store version, then there is a precise way to do things in order to install or update the sim properly.
Dave gave quite a few good tips above:
- you MUST ensure your windows is up to date,
- you have to download and install the latest version of the "Xbox application" from the MS Store app, and after installation, you have to run it at least once.
- in the MS Store app, you have to ensure you got all of the applications up to date (click on the dots in the top left corner, select downloads and updates, and then press the button "get updates". If you have installed/updated and launched the XBox app, it might be able to find an update for MSFS

From there you should be able to install the sim properly.
A computer restart might be necessary prior to do that.
A log off then log on to your MS Live account might be necessary as well.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby wayneman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks so much guys. I am sure I improperly uninstalled. I will follow these suggestions and let you know how it went. I really appreciate the information, as I was getting nowhere before. Fingers crossed.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 am

Take your time ;)
Small mistake in my post above: top-right corner of the MS Store application for the small dots to click, not top-left :oops:
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby wayneman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:05 am

Daube. I really appreciate your help. I thought maybe it was the answer, but as meticulous as I was it is still hosed. I finally found a number for MS and they called me back within 20 minutes. The lady on the phone didn’t have a clue and was absolutely no help. I could only understand part of what she was saying.
The frustration I feel could be cut with a knife. I remember getting my first credit card from Radio Shack so I could buy the very first flight sim. I couldn’t afford it but had to have it and I’ve had everyone since. Now the very best one is out and I’m screwed and this company I’ve supported all these years could care less. Wow. Sorry. I’m pissed.
So next I go to the Xbox app and beg for a refund. I’m done with MS.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wayneman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:34 am

I guess I’m totally screwed. It doesn’t show up on the refund page and text says it’s because it’s not eligible for a refund. I haven’t been this mad in many years. What a ripoff it turned out to be for me. I’m glad you guys are getting decent service.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wayneman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 am

Thx. I will give it a shot. Duabe was right. It did not correctly uninstall. I was able to find all the Asobo aircraft folders still there. Something wasn’t removed that is telling it not to download because it thinks it’s already there. The plus side is that all the updates I did got my DCS helicopters running smooth as silk.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wayneman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:18 am

Ok guys. I really appreciate the help. I have made some progress. I think my problem now is the “Microsoft gaming s services” app. It would not update. I have deleted it but can’t find it again to download a clean version. The game was actually downloading until the app came up with the error.
Anyone have any ideas how I can proceed now. Where can I get the gaming services app? I’m in way over my head. All I wanted to do was fly!
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:03 pm

Maybe you can use that link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gamin ... verviewtab
It points to the gaming services "dowload" page, normally. From there, you should be able to trigger the installation.
If it tells you it's already installed, then you should go into your MS Store application instead, click on the dots on the top right and check if there is any "update" for it again.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby wayneman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 pm

Folks. I appreciate all the suggestions and most were spot on except the computer had an issue with a security update and would show it as updated when it was not. I took it to the Geek squad and got lucky when I found my rep was into flight sim. He worked with it for four days and it’s finally working correctly. We were close to having to wipe it.
The lesson I learned. I should have taken to them a year ago and i could have avoided a lot of frustration. Thanks to everyone who helped.
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wayneman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:50 am

Update.
So, again, it’s been over a year since I flew my flight sim and the right person at the Geek squad finally fixed me up. I’m not sure why they didn’t figure it out the first few times I took it in but it’s fixed now! I seriously doubt anyone else will have this problem but I thought I would do my best to explain just in case.
Somehow the processor put in my computer was a last generation version which Microsoft stopped supporting and it caused the computer to appear as though it was updating but it would not. So, I went a LONG time without an update and this ultimately caused the sim not to load.
The tech also found other issues such as disagreement between MHz speed of hardware, the sim was on the SSD and the operating system was on the disk drive. I just had all sorts of issues that were directly related to my lack of computer knowledge.

So, in summation. I appreciate everyone trying to help me out. If you have issues, don’t forget to check hardware. On the bright side; it was worth the wait. Now that it’s set up correctly everything runs super smooth and looks great on my triples! All the updated drivers etc….. make such a difference. I had no idea it could be this immersive.

Thanks again. Hope this helps somebody else who suffers from a deficit of computer skills.

NOTE- I thought it was fixed last December but it wasn’t! That post should be disregarded. But, I’ve got it now!
wayneman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020