MSF 2020

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

MSF 2020

Postby Gamerhaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:10 am

Hi all just joined and considering buying the FS 2020. When it was first launced I purchased the hard copy (10 Discs). Had all sorts of problems trying to load.In the end I was lucky to get a refund.Now that some of the bugs have been sorted thinking of trying again. Could I get some advise as to whether my Comp is capable of handling same. I have W10 tenth gen I7 16GB ram and Nvidea geforce RTX 2070 . Your advise would be appreciated thanks
Gamerhaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: MSF 2020

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:36 am

Forget the disc version; it’s a complete rip off! You will have to download the entire smegload from them anyway and keep on downloading massive updates in order to continue using the program. :( The most important thing is your internet connection speed. If you have super fast fibre optic connection you’re golden. :D
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Gamerhaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:59 am

thanks for the info ,Have had flight sim since the stick figure days, looking forward to the latest
Gamerhaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:37 am

I agree 100% with Sinkrate's message above: DO NOT buy the DVD version of MSFS.

A little bit more information:
The problem is that these DVD were never updated, so they still contain the very original version of MSFS.
That means that if you install these DVDs, you will still have to download all of the updates that were released since the sim was first released. And that will be a LOT of gigabytes.

I would personally recommend you to acquire MSFS through Steam.
Steam has the easiest install process and will save you a little bit of trouble like "hard-to-locate" or "authorizations-blocked" folders and stuff like that.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gamerhaw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:54 pm

Could anyone advise which is the best version to buy
Gamerhaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 am

Well, I would recommend you to stay with the standard version.
The additional sceneries included in the more expensive versions are not really worth the additional price, and at some point you will probably be able to get some payware or freeware alternatives to these anyways.
The additional planes included in the more expensive versions are completely not worth it:
- they are beautiful, yes, but their level or realism is very low, just like all the other default planes
- their files are locked for edition/encrypted, which means they will not benefit from mods made by the community

Concerning my last point above, I can give a simple example: the default Boeing 787. It has a very beautiful 3D model and cockpit. But its flight model and instruments are said to be terrible, and the community can't do much about this, because the files of this plane are not editable/accessible.
On the other hand, the default Airbus A320 was in the same situation initially. However, a group named FlyByWire offered a very nice mod (addon/patch) which drastically improves the flight model and the instruments/switches in the virtual cockpit. They have fixed a lot of problems, added a lot of features that were missing, and this is still on-going. Every once in a while, a new version of their addon is released, with additional features/fixes inside.
Same goes for the default Cessna CJ4 business jet: it also benefits from some mods made by the community. In fact, these mods were so good that the team which made them is now contracted with Asobo to collaborate with them.

TL,DR: take the standard version. The other versions are a waste of money.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby papituwall » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:54 am

Pay attention to your RAM, will be better if you can have 32Gb
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:04 pm

Indeed.
However, my computer has only 16 GB of RAM installed and the sim works like a charm :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020