Abandoned Airports

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Abandoned Airports

Postby Shane Stachwick » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:07 am

Fun little thing I discovered: One of the available destinations in the new simulator is a small, private airfield in Abbotsford, Wisconsin. I must have done a few dozen Google Searches for variations on the keywords "Abbotsford airport", and "KABB" (the ICAO code supplied for the airport), looking for more information but try as I may, I counldn't found any mention of the airport on the internet. I assumed that Asobo or whoever was responsible for developing the map data must have messed up and supplied an entirely fictitious facility.

....until today! After a little more digging, I found that the airport was actually called Colby-Abbotsford Airport (though I have yet to find any evidence supporting the KABB ICAO code) and it closed sometime between 1988 and 1999. Very few records survive, but the path of the main runway apparently remained clear until at least 2012 and possibly the present day. Check it out!

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/WI/Airfields_WI_N.htm#colby
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Abandoned Airports

Postby expat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:47 am

I have found this with a few airports. For example the Yosemite tour, I checked out some of the abandoned airports with Google. The Sim only has them as basic names and not the full name that they were listed under.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Abandoned Airports

Postby Delta_ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:54 am

Just don’t land at Manston in Kent for a while. Might be a obstacles in the way :mrgreen:
Delta_
Major
Major

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020