AI copilot hijacking airplane

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

AI copilot hijacking airplane

Postby Shane Stachwick » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 pm

On occasion, I get a weird bug where the AI copilot takes control of the airplane and doesn't give it back. Toggling the AI controls does nothing. It usually happens at the start of the flight, when I should be sitting on the numbers at idle, and he pushes the throttle to full and won't let me do anything. Sometimes it happens after I've already gotten in the air and the aircraft overstresses at low altitude.

Does anyone know a fix other than restarting the sim?
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: AI copilot hijacking airplane

Postby Tiger1962 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am

Do you have a keystroke or button assigned to co-pilot toggle on/off along with some other command? It would be worth checking your control assignments for the AI co-pilot functions just in case.
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: AI copilot hijacking airplane

Postby Shane Stachwick » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:56 pm

I figured it out, it's the Takeoff Assist. Silly thing. Just had to turn it off, although I did keep the autorudder on, since I'm flying with the number pad.

I also figured out why it was staying activated in the air. I had set the AP to cruise at 2200 for the New York discovery flight but because the flight plan set the designated cruising altitude at 10,000, the assist thought I was still climbing. If my VS was high enough, I'd overshoot 2200 and have to descend a bit. With the engine still going full tilt, eventually the aircraft would exceed VNE and overstress.

Honestly I think Asobo needs to do a bit more testing with these things, they've still got all kinds of issues. Having a VFR flight set up with an IFR flight plan, with a cruising altitude that much higher than the altitude set to the visual waypoints, is just inexcusable.

Also I tried to fly it IFR and ATC spelled out "RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL AIRPORT" with the phonetic letters in my IFR clearance. That's just dumb.
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020