Finding your Community Folder

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Finding your Community Folder

Postby pete » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 am

(This may have been posted already but here it is from me. )

Adding new scenery and aircraft is easy, provided you know where your Community folder is located.
Downloaded files are simply unzipped then drop the folder into your Community folder

Here is a quick description:

Default installations.

Microsoft Store version

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOM\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Steam version

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community

If you installed MSFS in a location of your choice you may find it here

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finding your Community Folder

Postby expat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 am

This is why I installed directly to my C drive and called the folder FS2020. In there I have the sim folder and the community folder. I can find everything in seconds. I never understand why games / sims / programs are always buried so deeply within the windows folder structure. I always do this and have never had a problem running a program.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby saints_hockey_01 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:38 pm

i just created a folder in the root of my drive called microsoft flight simulator and saved everything there
saints_hockey_01
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby rizarefaldi » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:07 pm

This is why I installed directly to my C drive and called the folder FS2020. In there I have the sim folder and the community folder. I can find everything in seconds. I never understand why games / sims / programs are always buried so deeply within the windows folder structure. I always do this and have never had a problem running a program.
https://itkoding.com/cara-install-windows-10/
Matt

So confusing without documentation but finally got this thread,

nice, appreciated.
rizarefaldi
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby EVVFCX » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi all,

With the new mandatory update this week, I decided it was about time I made things easier for myself by backing up the community folder.
Now I checked after copying and found that the files copied were 10 less than the original folder.
I tried again in the dos window (CMD) with xcopy I had the same result so I started looking at what was missing and it's files relating the Fliewire Airbus but I cannot see a reason why.
They are not hidden/archived in any way.
Could somebody else do check on the contents of their copy, selecting everything then right cicking and selcting properties is a quick check.

regards Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Re: MFS 2020

Postby captjim » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Hello fellow simmers Captjim here again. It's been a while. I have finally decided to give 2020 a try. What I need is the basic info on how to get the program. Also the cost and the details on how to obntain it. Any info will be helpful. Captjim <<s
captjim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby SIMTECH » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Capt Jim, I was like you in as much as I hesitated to try MSFS until the bugs were worked out. Three weeks ago, i signed up for Game Pass.. cost $1.00 for a month. Took two and half hours to download and in three hours total, I was playing with it. I played several hours a day for two weeks; then came SU 7. Pretty good update, not too many things got boinked... not any that one can't live with. Long story short: I cancelled GP after three weeks and bought the game through Steam. I've never looked back.. Very happy with it... Good luck with your adventure... It's worth it....
SIMTECH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tonii9 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:58 am

I installed directly to my C drive and named the folder FS2020 because of this. I have the community folder and the sim folder in there. I'm quick to locate anything. Why games, sims, and other programmes are constantly buried so deeply inside the Windows folder structure is a mystery to me. I usually do this, and I've never experienced a software running issue.
tonii9
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:48 am

I see a recent fashion of new members just posting a slightly modified version of a previous post in the topic... :roll:
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby papituwall » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:54 am

Best way for managing community folder is to create a separate folder for community addons and use the program MSFS Addons Linker that allows to create different profiles and activate/deactivate addons in community.

I'm not sure if I can post the download link, but google "MSFS Addons Linker"

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O68u05J ... el=badGamr
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby tonii9 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:48 pm

I installed directly to my C drive and named the folder FS2020 because of this. I have the community folder and the sim folder in there. I'm quick to locate anything. Why games, sims, and other programmes are constantly buried so deeply inside the Windows folder structure is a mystery to me. I usually do this, and I've never experienced a software running issue.
tonii9
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby footballmercedes » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:37 pm

Recently, it seems to be the norm for new users to simply rehash old posts in the thread with minor edits.

papa's freezeria
footballmercedes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby course123 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:12 am

I can find everything in seconds. I never understand why games / sims / programs are always buried so deeply within the windows folder structure.
I always do this and have never had a problem running a program.
course123
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby akfakamli8 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:11 am

Open the game settings > General.
Navigate to Developer Tools and switch them to ON.
On the developers menu at top, navigate to Tools > Virtual File System.
The path of your Community folder is under > Watched Bases.
akfakamli8
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020