Any FSX portover done yet?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Any FSX portover done yet?

Postby cevans » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Anyone know of a portover done yet?

I've read of it being done and seen tutes on it but have yet to see one that works. There is a fast and dirty miljet here but no gauges and it just sits on the ground. Not worth downloading unless you are going to work on it. There was also the Manifred Jahn C47 but that turned out to be unauthorised and disappeared.
I was thinking of trying one myself to see how it goes but would like to see if anyone has actually managed one yet with working gauges and permission to distribute etc?
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Any FSX portover done yet?

Postby Tiger1962 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm

Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:51 am

I went to the site, payed a donation, downloaded some aircraft. Results: nothing works, planes don't show, whatever I tried.

Big disappointment.

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tiger1962 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 am

Did you follow the installation instructions? Here's the guide for installing the F-22:

How to Install Planes
Simply download the zip/rar by clicking the black button below and extract it to the community folder.

Make sure you install in the following format: /community/addon_folder/addon_files, and not /community/addon_folder/addon_folder/addon_files
Alternatively you can use ModManFX (click here)

Finding the community folder:
If you have installed the MSFS contents in a custom folder, go in to that folder, and simply drag and drop the unarchived addon folder into your Microsoft Flight Simulator "Community" folder
If you have bought it from the Microsoft Store Go to %localappdata% (search using windows search), then go to Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMLETTERS\LocalCache\Packages\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder
If you have the game through Gamepass Go to %localappdata% (search using windows search), then go to Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMLETTERS\LocalCache\Packages\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder
If you bought the game on Steam... Go to %appdata% (search using windows search), then Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder
Alternate Steam Method (If Above Does Not Work)... Go to %localappdata% (search using windows search), then got to Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMLETTERS\LocalCache\Packages\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder
Alternate Steam Method (If Above Does Not Work)... Go to YOUR_STEAM_LOCATION\steamapps\common\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 am

My path is:

DATA (D:)/MSFS (stand alone, no Steam or whatever)/HLM_Packages/community/addon_folder (newly created)/addon_files (newly created)/fligtsimsquadron-b25-mitchell
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 am

"If you have installed the MSFS contents in a custom folder, go in to that folder, and simply drag and drop the unarchived addon folder into your Microsoft Flight Simulator "Community" folder". This is what I did and doesn't work.

"Go to %localappdata% (search using windows search), then go to Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMLETTERS\LocalCache\Packages\ and place the addon folder(s) into the Community folder". I can find Packages, but no Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMLETTERS. Doesn't excist.

Thanks for trying to help me, much appreciated !!

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tiger1962 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Hertzie, your path to DATA (D:)/MSFS (stand alone, no Steam or whatever)/HLM_Packages is not the correct Packages folder.
You'll need to go to your Folder/View settings and check that Show Hidden Items is on, then search your C:\ drive for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:05 pm

OK, thanks for help. They show up.

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:56 am

More direct download page https://flightsim-squadron.itch.io/flig ... t/purchase

But - This is what the page says 'Some fun custom aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulation.

To manage expectations, they are probably the wrong scale, most have no animation, no working interior or correct sound, and are probably rubbish to fly ....

So should probably really not be used for any purpose other than to take some screenshots for fun :-)
'
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hertzie » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:23 am

Thanks Pete for your reply, the B-25 is the best, though you have no instruments. But hopefully this is a start, so they deserve our (financial) support!

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:52 am

so they deserve our (financial) support

The creators deserve support yes. But are these quick portovers done from FSX native aircraft? If so, I don't see credits.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby papituwall » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:32 pm

I have tested the tool with 2 or 3 aircraft and also some published aircraft. These conversions (can not be called portovers) have only interest for "spotters".
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:21 pm

As Erik says, this is the beginning and we have a long way to go. Remember there was a time when DXTBMP, FSDS, FS Panel Studio and MdlConverterX did not exist. Such tools were developed for the previous MSFS series (& P3D) and have enabled huge leaps forward in the hobby.

Thankfully it seems MS have left the new MSFS open. But it's a different language and takes time to learn and explore. Time will no doubt allow some great freeware 3rd part aircraft addons.

Lots and lots of scenery right now so scenery creation must be pretty easy.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020