Aimed at morons?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Re: Aimed at morons?

Postby Tug002 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:49 am

I understand cevans point. You should be able to enjoy what you have bought without being threatened. Many times in the past I have done the downloads after I have used the software because of time restraints. Being threatened to do downloads which you will eventually do is unacceptable. The time we do them should be of our choosing, not theirs. :|

Keep smiling
Tug :D
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:52 pm

cevans wrote:So they say 'an update is mandatory'

Meaning if you don't install the update they will steal back software you have paid good money for?

Really? If so I wonder if that's legal. What a pile of crap

No, they don't steal it back from you.
They uninstall it.
You can still install it anytimes, as you still own it.
If they stole it, then you wouldn't see it in your list of games anymore.
Let's use the correct words here.

And concerning the updates: your sim connects to the MS servers. If your sim is out of date, it might not be able to communicate correctly with the servers, which would cause troubles and unnecessary complaints from the users who wouldn't understand what's going on. Updating the sim ensure it's working as MS expects it to work, so that problems reported to MS are actually real problems, not outdated ones.
Anybody buying this new sim knew they would have to download a lot, and frequently. Just update it. What's the problem ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiger1962 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:37 am

The problem is that people don't visit the Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider website which gives plenty of notice, or ample warning, about impending updates: https://www.flightsimulator.com/
According to the Sept. 24 Development Roadmap, the next updates are due October 15 and October 29, so MORONS shouldn't expect to spend an evening simming on those dates.
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby striker » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Bad enough the startup time :D

Me too in the team that want to have the choice whether to install now or later.

For me? Very later. Haven't used it since.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:21 pm

It is a very very good sim but as has been said people have different internet connections and being told you have to download a very big 20gb file now in order to continue is not the right way to go. On top of that being told if you don't install right now your sim will be uninstalled? Not good customer service if you ask me.
It did download. Took a lot of time. Had to let it download overnight.
MS should not be followed and obeyed without criticism. They've made major errors in the past. Been found guilty in court even. And I do hope that they get around to understanding not all of us have the availability of ultra fast internet connections and so give us the option of 'install now or install when I'm done' .
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:50 pm

I'll wait. I know I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest, but I'll wait. I waited to upgrade from DOS. Then I waited to upgrade from Lotus 123 to Excel. Just like I waited to upgrade from FS2. I think I'll upgrade my zimmer frame first. :violin:
logjam
Major
Major

Postby expat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 am

logjam wrote:I'll wait. I know I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest, but I'll wait. I waited to upgrade from DOS. Then I waited to upgrade from Lotus 123 to Excel. Just like I waited to upgrade from FS2. I think I'll upgrade my zimmer frame first. :violin:

If you machine can run it, you are truly missing out.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:19 am

Well personally, I feel as if I have been robbed!

I bought the 10 disk version in the belief that I would not have to spend hours downloading the darn thing…..wrong!

Even after I had downloaded it, I still couldn’t use it; Microsoft forced me to download a so called “patch” which is bigger than the game itself!

There is some kind of fault (presumably at their end) which stops the patch downloading when it gets to a certain file. Lots of people seem to be having the same problem – Microsoft has remained silent!

All in all, a lot of time and money wasted with no hope of redress – FML!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 am

To be honnest, buying that sim on DVDs will only be useful once the main developments are finished.
For now, the game is still pretty much beta, if not alpha, no matter what their marketing says about it.
Many things need updates. Sceneries, planes, sounds, the sim itself. All these things can get heavy.
Buying the DVDs on day one was not a good move...
Not exactly your fault, but on the other hand, you knew the sim was not finished yet, right ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm

I agree with Chris.An upgrade is an up grade.Meaning It it should
have been in the original package.Think about faulty Airbags.Happened
to my car some years ago.Fixed fo free.
And yes.Mr. Evans is a legend here.

Anthin. :clap: :mrgreen:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 am

Not exactly your fault, but on the other hand, you knew the sim was not finished yet, right ?

Wrong! It was marketed as a serviceable, finished product and the price reflected that! There was no mention of needing a super high speed fibre broadband connection or of serving as a guinea pig for those lazy money grabbing barstewards at Microsoft. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Call me a moron if you like, but I still believe that we should get what we paid for and what was advertised.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Ah well, maybe I'm the only one who was interested in that sim before it was released and read about it.
With all the discussions about it on all sim-related forums, I thought people knew the state of the simulator upon release. It was very obvious the sim would be released unfinished, almost alpha stage...
Unfinished aircraft, unfinished sceneries, missing features, missing stability, but not a single missing bug :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Andiroto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:18 pm

I will give MS / Asobo the time they need! In a year, I'll decide if I buy it!
And if I have to, I'll wait then another year. . .

I still enjoy FSX and will continue to have it in the future!
Andiroto
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby expat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 am

Sinkrate wrote:

Wrong! It was marketed as a serviceable, finished product and the price reflected that! There was no mention of needing a super high speed fibre broadband connection or of serving as a guinea pig for those lazy money grabbing barstewards at Microsoft. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Call me a moron if you like, but I still believe that we should get what we paid for and what was advertised.

Where are your complaints about Windows, that has never been finished since the day Windows 95 was released :lol: :lol:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 am

Where are your complaints about Windows, that has never been finished since the day Windows 95 was released :lol: :lol:

Matt

Oh no, not that; don’t get me started! I think I can feel a Meldrew moment coming on. :x Better sign of now before I go into a thermonuclear rant. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020