Scratching my head....

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Scratching my head....

Postby Shane Stachwick » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm having a couple of issues that I can't seem to resolve. Some are with the simulator itself, some with add-on aircraft.

[*] I can't adjust the simulation rate. I've tried mapping the command to different keys and so far no result. I really wish it was just part of a dropdown menu like FSX but I guess that would make too much sense. Has anyone gotten that to work, or is that functionality disabled?
[*] In the Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation, the radio keeps shutting off and I can't get it back on, leaving me completely unable to talk to ATC. I haven't set any failures in the aircraft. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
[*] In the Kitfox, ATC won't pronounce the manufacturer and model, just my tail number. I looked for the aircraft.cfg file to see what the issue was but there doesn't seem to be one. Where can I go to fix this?
[*] Autopilots don't seem to work well, assuming I can get them to work at all. I've heard there are some bugs associated with them, but I also can't help but wonder if I'm using them incorrectly. In particular I'm confused about the LNAV, VNAV, and FLCH modes, and how they interact with the older modes that were present in FSX. It also seems that the Altitude Hold mode puts me about 100 ft higher than what I've selected. Not a huge deal, but I do find it annoying. EDIT: ALT mode appears to have fixed itself. Weird.
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Scratching my head....

Postby expat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:45 am

Shane Stachwick wrote:I'm having a couple of issues that I can't seem to resolve. Some are with the simulator itself, some with add-on aircraft.

[*] I can't adjust the simulation rate. I've tried mapping the command to different keys and so far no result. I really wish it was just part of a dropdown menu like FSX but I guess that would make too much sense. Has anyone gotten that to work, or is that functionality disabled?
[*] In the Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation, the radio keeps shutting off and I can't get it back on, leaving me completely unable to talk to ATC. I haven't set any failures in the aircraft. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
[*] In the Kitfox, ATC won't pronounce the manufacturer and model, just my tail number. I looked for the aircraft.cfg file to see what the issue was but there doesn't seem to be one. Where can I go to fix this?
[*] Autopilots don't seem to work well, assuming I can get them to work at all. I've heard there are some bugs associated with them, but I also can't help but wonder if I'm using them incorrectly. In particular I'm confused about the LNAV, VNAV, and FLCH modes, and how they interact with the older modes that were present in FSX. It also seems that the Altitude Hold mode puts me about 100 ft higher than what I've selected. Not a huge deal, but I do find it annoying. EDIT: ALT mode appears to have fixed itself. Weird.

First question, are you all up to date with downloads and contents.

I have only flown about at real world speeds, but I bookmarked this page a while ago, it gives a good explanation of how to speed up or jump in the Sim:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flig ... ravel-7043

As for the Mooney..........I have too many hobbies to buy extra software, I have to rely on the generosity of the fantastic freeware producers.

Make AND model is not required, it is make OR model. As it is an American produced Sim, I guess American rules apply, the following is from the FAA air_traffic publications:

Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type, model or manufacturer's name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number. When the aircraft manufacturer's name or model is stated, the prefix “N” is dropped; e.g., Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.
EXAMPLE-
Bonanza Six Five Five Golf.
Breezy Six One Three Romeo Experimental (omit “Experimental” after initial contact).

LNAV is the route you fly over the ground. The plane may us VORs, GPS, DME, or any combination of them, basically old school and an indirect route.
VNAV is Vertical Navigation and the specified altitudes at particular waypoints are entered into the Flight Management System. It will also take into account the speed you have set and vertical speeds to achieve an altitude.
And if the autopilot is not turned on and VNAV or LNAV or both are selected then the FMS will send a signal to the Flight Director to show the pilot the desired flight direction that the autopilot would have taken so the pilot can fly the same route by hand.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Shane Stachwick » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 pm

expat wrote:

First question, are you all up to date with downloads and contents.

I have only flown about at real world speeds, but I bookmarked this page a while ago, it gives a good explanation of how to speed up or jump in the Sim:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flig ... ravel-7043

As for the Mooney..........I have too many hobbies to buy extra software, I have to rely on the generosity of the fantastic freeware producers.

Make AND model is not required, it is make OR model. As it is an American produced Sim, I guess American rules apply, the following is from the FAA air_traffic publications:

Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type, model or manufacturer's name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number. When the aircraft manufacturer's name or model is stated, the prefix “N” is dropped; e.g., Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.
EXAMPLE-
Bonanza Six Five Five Golf.
Breezy Six One Three Romeo Experimental (omit “Experimental” after initial contact).

LNAV is the route you fly over the ground. The plane may us VORs, GPS, DME, or any combination of them, basically old school and an indirect route.
VNAV is Vertical Navigation and the specified altitudes at particular waypoints are entered into the Flight Management System. It will also take into account the speed you have set and vertical speeds to achieve an altitude.
And if the autopilot is not turned on and VNAV or LNAV or both are selected then the FMS will send a signal to the Flight Director to show the pilot the desired flight direction that the autopilot would have taken so the pilot can fly the same route by hand.

Matt

Hey! Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the simulation rate problem, I've actually made some progress on that. I was trying to use the rate function in cruise, with the copilot controlling the aircraft because of the trouble with the autopilot. Unfortunately the rate function is disabled if the copilot is flying. I fiddled around with the autopilot and briefly got it to work but it's still kind of hit-or-miss. But when the AP was working so did the rate.

With the ATC problem, it appears that the controller won't pronounce either the make or the model, just the tail number by itself. This seems to apply to the Carenado C182T as well, and MAYBE the Mooney (I'll have to check on that).

With the autopilot, I'm also curious as to how the ALT mode works and how it relates to the Vertical Speed mode. Sometimes I can get them activated independently of each other, other times they appear to be joined at the hip. And of course, whether they actually do anything with the controls has no degree of reliability. It's very different from FSX and I can't seem to figure it out.
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tiger1962 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:24 am

The MSFS G1000 is very different to the FSX version, it's far more realistic in operation. Set yourself up on a runway in any default G1000-equipped plane, and do this:

Click the ALT button to activate ALT mode.
Select your target altitude, e.g. 3000ft, using the ALT knob.
Click the VS button to activate VS mode.
Select your UP vertical speed, e.g. 700ft/min, using the vertical speed wheel.
Click the HDG button to activate HDG mode.
Click the center of the HDG knob to align the heading bug automatically.

Release the parking brake, set throttle to full, take off and maintain runway heading.
Climbing past 1000ft AGL, click the AP button and start admiring the scenery.

To descend again, select your target altitude again using the ALT knob.
Select your DOWN vertical speed, e.g. -700ft/min, using the vertical speed wheel.
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Shane Stachwick » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Tiger1962 wrote:
Click the ALT button to activate ALT mode.
Select your target altitude, e.g. 3000ft, using the ALT knob.

VS mode won’t activate. The pop-up label always reads “Turn Vertical Speed Mode ON” and the display that shows targeted VS only shows a series of dashes (- - - -)

At least that’s how it is in the default G1000 C172. Of course, with all the bugs I’ve encountered, I can’t help but wonder if that’s a known issue with this aircraft.

EDIT: It appears that I have to get in the air for it to work. It also seems that activating other modes (NAV for example) either shuts off other functionality like ALT/VS or disengages the master switch. I can’t seem to figure out the pattern, and which modes are compatible with which.
Shane Stachwick
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tiger1962 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 am

I'm more familiar with the Bonanza G36 to be honest, and that works as I described above. I hope it works for you, good luck!
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020