2020 is a game, not a simulator

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Re: 2020 is a game, not a simulator

Postby papituwall » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Same user experience as roitou, plus: Xplane9, FSW, Prepar3D v5 and DCS. Same result. My mouse goes direct to start MSFS.

You can buy Xplane 11, is a great game but you can be lost in the great number of addons needed to improve the base program.

Don´t forget P3Dv5. It should not be underestimated. The "punisment" to GPU and CPU plus the scenery and visuals are much better than previous versions, but the arrival of MSFS will leave it for professional (and academic...) use. Or maybe LM will buy in the future MSFS rights for professional...
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 pm

I wouldn't recommend P3Dv5 at all, at least not for now.
That sim has many strong points, mainly about the amount of available addon planes...
However it also comes with many problems:
- it's still using the 15 years-old scenery from FSX
- it has some improved clouds, but not even close from what you get in MSFS
- it has increased performance, but still suffers from the dramatic FPS hits by "complex" (lol) sceneries, such as any default major airport...

At least XP11 has much greater performance, while displaying a much greater amount of details, especially in the cities (and especially at night).
It also has quite a lot of good GA planes and liners. It lacks good military planes, recent or vintage though.
Weather depiction and water both are terrible though, just like the ATC.

So in the end, both these sims have interesting sides, but also some serious drawbacks.
That's why I would advise to wait a little bit more.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby papituwall » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:28 am

About P3Dv5, as with MSFS there are affirmations that run for the forums but...

1-The scenery is non only the FSX one, in the installer P3Dv3 = 8,05 GB, P3Dv4.5 = 9,25 GB, P3Dv5 =17,5 Gb .
This is an excerpt of ORBX in Vector page: Prepar3D v5 itself contains a completely new build of the default landscape and airports, the first time this has happened since the release of its predecessor, FSX.

2-OK

3-Paris Orly, in the default simultors always had a big impact, in this case is With Jetstream LFPO + A2A C182 (A2A's have impact in fps).

I usually have locked to 30FPS, I have unlocked for the picture 42FPS all sliders mostly full right.

HP Omen, i7 @4,2Ghz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1080GTX, installed in an 2TB HDD With P3Dv4 and DCS, Xplane is in a second 2TB HDD. MSFS is in a SSD.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 am

I would be curious to know what could make your sim permanently fubar...
If you messed up with the files and it doesn't work anymore, then why don't you just reinstall it ?

It was because the activation code became assocoated with the download version instead of my disk version. The whole mix up started because I did not have a mobile phone when I first tried to activate it.

Now my disk version cannot be activated as the code is already in use. Downloading it is not an option for me as I only have adsl on a metered connection. That's why I bought the disk version.

"Sad. so sad.
It's a sad, sad situation........" :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:30 am

Sinkrate wrote:
I would be curious to know what could make your sim permanently fubar...
If you messed up with the files and it doesn't work anymore, then why don't you just reinstall it ?

It was because the activation code became assocoated with the download version instead of my disk version. The whole mix up started because I did not have a mobile phone when I first tried to activate it.

Now my disk version cannot be activated as the code is already in use. Downloading it is not an option for me as I only have adsl on a metered connection. That's why I bought the disk version.

"Sad. so sad.
It's a sad, sad situation........" :cry: :cry: :cry:

That should make no difference. Any activation automatically links the DVD version to your Microsoft Store account. I am using the DVD version, but can also use the online version if I need to, it is all located and usable in my Store login. This is so you can install the DVD version on another computer and still play using your login.
When you start the Sim, what actually happens...??

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 am

When the disks have finished loading, it prompts me to log in to my Microsoft account and there is a box to input the activation code. When I input the code it says it is already allocated to a different version - the downloadable one, which I have never ordered and have definitely not paid for. I don't understand how this can happen but Microsoft says it cannot (or will not) do anything about it. It would appear that my disk version can never be activated. :evil:

P.S. Now my Microsoft Store is knackered (page can not be opened Code: 0x80131500) so I can't even try to reload FS2020. Yes, I've tried msreset.exe et al - nothing works - as usual! :roll:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Sinkrate wrote:

When the disks have finished loading, it prompts me to log in to my Microsoft account and there is a box to input the activation code. When I input the code it says it is already allocated to a different version - the downloadable one, which I have never ordered and have definitely not paid for. I don't understand how this can happen but Microsoft says it cannot (or will not) do anything about it. It would appear that my disk version can never be activated. :evil:

P.S. Now my Microsoft Store is knackered (page can not be opened Code: 0x80131500) so I can't even try to reload FS2020. Yes, I've tried msreset.exe et al - nothing works - as usual! :roll:

Have you tried this.....

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5ca63bb1bf

It worked for the guy who posted the same problem?
If you can get back into the store, maybe we can get this sorted, as the sim should be in your account for the reason I gave above. Microsoft support for this product is abysmal. It was only reading about the two aircraft problem here that I found out my problem was related and the same fix worked for me. Microsoft could not help, after two weeks I have no response from my Zendesk ticket and Aerosoft directed me back to MS :angry-screaming:
Don't give up it is a cracking sim, but the whole process is learning by doing... :cry:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 pm

jb44mag wrote:In my view, this is clearly a game focused on scenery. IMHO this is not a flight simulator. it is clear the developers have tailored the game for joysticks. There is no method to program the hat switch on the Eclipse yoke. The game relies too much on the keyboard for sim pilots in my view. A switch panel like the 4227 is not even recognized by the game. The scenery is marvelous. really! But the lack up actual simulator experience returns me to P3D. For that I am sorry, but disappointed in this effort. The developers produce marvelous games, but not a simulator.

Jim

I dont agree. Yes, if you havent got the right gear it may dissapoint. I use Saitek yoke, control, pedals, and multipanel and radio panel.
I have all those configured through Spad.Next which gives you three times as many buttons on the yoke as it recognises the three setups
although some basic functionality I have left with MSFS that recognised all this straight away.
I have used many simulators and there is absolutely nothing that compares with MSFS. But it isnt a Game.
You will need to learn a few things.
I run all on Ultra and hardest setting.
Flew, glass cockpit from Hamburg to Liege today.
I prefer to fly VOR to VOR that I get from the real world, as I find GPS boring.
All worked like a dream.
Everything responded as it should.
Approach and glide slope picked up perfectly.
This isnt a Game.
Sure there is room for improvement and infact we already have had two patches. Each fixes things.
If you are interested in Simulation flying then this is the package for you.
If you just want to mess about and fly round a bit without actually learning to use it properly then dont buy it.
Personally, I think it a pity Microsoft called it a 'game' as this confuses many I think
although from a commercial point of view I understand it.
It isnt a 'Game'. You dont 'play' with this. You need to learn navigation
plane control and a lot more.
Of course you can set it all to total assist and Easy. Yes at that point you may possibly call it a 'Game'.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Very_Old_Man » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Question. Does 2020 contain Missions and the ability to submit them? Or must one make a Flight instead?
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 am

Very_Old_Man wrote:Question. Does 2020 contain Missions and the ability to submit them? Or must one make a Flight instead?

Sort of......It has a load of difficult landing to perform, landings at odd places. Also a couple of bush flying tasks.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Very_Old_Man » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Follow-on. FSX has a Mission creation option which I got hooked on and submit missions for others to fly.
I assume there is not an SDK or Mission creation option... in MSFS Correct?
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 am

Very_Old_Man wrote:Follow-on. FSX has a Mission creation option which I got hooked on and submit missions for others to fly.
I assume there is not an SDK or Mission creation option... in MSFS Correct?

An SDK has been released and a developer option can be selected within the game menus.
No idea if the it is possible to produce missions with it..............I am a user not a designer, the last time I wrote any software it was for a ZX 81 :D

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 am

Have you tried this.....

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5ca63bb1bf

It worked for the guy who posted the same problem?
If you can get back into the store, maybe we can get this sorted, as the sim should be in your account for the reason I gave above. Microsoft support for this product is abysmal. It was only reading about the two aircraft problem here that I found out my problem was related and the same fix worked for me. Microsoft could not help, after two weeks I have no response from my Zendesk ticket and Aerosoft directed me back to MS :angry-screaming:
Don't give up it is a cracking sim, but the whole process is learning by doing... :cry:

Matt

Thanks for the link Matt, you are a lot more helpful than those Wayne Kerr’s at Microsoft! I tried all the methods suggested, but to no avail. I went for another clean sweep and reinstalled Windows again (it only cost me a couple of days work) and thus the store was renewed. After that, the first thing I did was reinstall fs2020 (another two and a half hours) so it went onto a clean windows package. When I went on line to activate it I got the same message; “the code has already been redeemed” so I resigned to download it directly from the store. It didn’t take as long as I thought it would – just one night, and when I started it (took about 17 minutes to load) I got a nice picture of an aeroplane but nothing else happened. I went on line to see if that would start it and now it wants to download a “patch” which apparently is about 25GB in size – on an adsl connection! How long will that take? :shock: So, am I getting nearer to activating this mother, or is Mickey just pulling my chain? :think: As a back up, I tried reinstalling FSX and now that’s up the creek. It only gives options to remove or repair but neither work. I tried the old MicrosoftKB928080 dodge but that didn’t work either – surprise, surprise! :roll:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:16 am

Thank you for the compliment, but I am just learning by doing, it is a painful process and I hate it. There is some good information already starting to appear on various sites, but you really have to look hard for it.
However it sounds like you are getting closer. As for the patch(es), it is compulsory and the sim will never run unless it is up to date via the Store / Steam. If you don't have a high speed unlimited connection then you are at a disadvantage. Assumption by MS that everyone has one is a bit off. Personally I would like an option to not install or revert back to a previous version. If there is ever and Apple OS like cock up with an update, then.......... :? :?
The "patches", are bigger then the FSX base program before you start on the service packs, I find that a bit ridiculous.
Keep with it, the sim is really worth it.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 am

The "patches", are bigger then the FSX base program before you start on the service packs, I find that a bit ridiculous.
Keep with it, the sim is really worth it.

I have had to change my internet contract to “unlimited” just to download the so-called “patch” for fs2020. I still have no idea how much of the file I have downloaded or how much is left to go. It just says “Downloading pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage…” but the white bar never gets anywhere near the end of its track; it just keeps resetting and starting again. How can I tell what the #^*$$~ is going on? :doh: Also, how can I shut off the annoying music so that I can use other apps at the same time? :evil:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020