2020 is a game, not a simulator

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Re: 2020 is a game, not a simulator

Postby expat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 am

Sinkrate wrote:
The "patches", are bigger then the FSX base program before you start on the service packs, I find that a bit ridiculous.
Keep with it, the sim is really worth it.

I have had to change my internet contract to “unlimited” just to download the so-called “patch” for fs2020. I still have no idea how much of the file I have downloaded or how much is left to go. It just says “Downloading pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage…” but the white bar never gets anywhere near the end of its track; it just keeps resetting and starting again. How can I tell what the #^*$$~ is going on? :doh: Also, how can I shut off the annoying music so that I can use other apps at the same time? :evil:

There is a "fix" for that. You need to log out of FS2020 and then log in again.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:16 am

Very_Old_Man wrote:Question. Does 2020 contain Missions and the ability to submit them? Or must one make a Flight instead?

I have just found this....?

http://www.allflightmods.com/microsoft- ... simulator/

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sinkrate » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 am

There is a "fix" for that. You need to log out of FS2020 and then log in again.Matt

Not quite sure what you mean by “log out” as the only option I can find is to close the program (by clicking the cross in the upper right hand corner) and restarting it from the “start” menu. It doesn’t work – naturally, nothing ever does for me!! :roll: Is it supposed to stop the music or enable the file to download? I notice from searching the internet that a lot of people are having trouble with the file constantly resetting. :?
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 am

Sinkrate wrote:
There is a "fix" for that. You need to log out of FS2020 and then log in again.Matt

Not quite sure what you mean by “log out” as the only option I can find is to close the program (by clicking the cross in the upper right hand corner) and restarting it from the “start” menu. It doesn’t work – naturally, nothing ever does for me!! :roll: Is it supposed to stop the music or enable the file to download? I notice from searching the internet that a lot of people are having trouble with the file constantly resetting. :?

When you run the Sim, you are actually logged into the xbox account that you had to create during the installation process. When starting the Sim, you are automatically logged in as part of the start up sequence. Sometimes the Sim hangs some functions and the way to get around this is to log out of your xbox account and log back in again.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -sign-out-

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Doering » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Depending on your perspective when you purchase Flight Simulator 2020, some will treat it as a game (just tune in to reddit or AirForceProud95 videos). On the other hand, some will treat this as a true flight simulator, like myself. Just have a look at my videos. For each flight, I use my real world flying app (ForeFlight). I map the flight in ForeFlight and use the VFR or IFR flight plan and link this to Flight Simulator. Traffic and all the read outs (TAS, altitude, vertical speed etc) correspond between ForeFlight and the sim making the flight very realistic as a training tool when flying into new airports. Previews in ForeFlight are extremely accurate when analyzed in comparison with the sim. Just working on a “how to” video for flying into Courchevel (LFLJ), France - famous altiport in the French Alps.
My latest video at The Flight Level - World's Most Dangerous Approach - RNAV (RNP) Landing RWY 15 at Paro Airport- Bhutan - 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2KxjLdJgY&t=1084s
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:08 am

And there are those that play for fun, as in the words of the late great Garry Smith.. Simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction...
We are not lesser simmers just because we do not fly complex aircraft 'By the numbers'!
We are all using a game that simulates a simulator.. (how many use a joystick when flying a 172?)
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:17 am

When you run the Sim, you are actually logged into the xbox account that you had to create during the installation process. When starting the Sim, you are automatically logged in as part of the start up sequence. Sometimes the Sim hangs some functions and the way to get around this is to log out of your xbox account and log back in again.

Thanks Matt. My screen is not like the one in your link, but I managed to shut up the annoying sound by using the xbox panel which I recently discovered in the “start” menu. I am still stuck with the downloading problem though; nothing seems to cure it and it appears form the internet that many other people are having the same problem with pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage. Do you know how big the file is supposed to be? The download bar has got as far as 24% 2Gig but it doesn’t appear to occupy 24% of the download bar space??? :?
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Sinkrate wrote:

Thanks Matt. My screen is not like the one in your link, but I managed to shut up the annoying sound by using the xbox panel which I recently discovered in the “start” menu. I am still stuck with the downloading problem though; nothing seems to cure it and it appears form the internet that many other people are having the same problem with pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage. Do you know how big the file is supposed to be? The download bar has got as far as 24% 2Gig but it doesn’t appear to occupy 24% of the download bar space??? :?

That one is a known issue, many, many people are having this very problem. I did read that one person found a way around this, it involves download speeds. I have no idea how it functions, but for this package they limited thier download speed at their router to 2MB until this package had finished and then went back to normal. It cleared the problem for them.

Another fix is with Steam itself, try these:

Clear Download Cache
Clearing the Steam download cache will cause the Steam client to flush locally cached configuration data and acquire it from the Steam servers again.

Navigate to your Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Clear Download Cache

Repair Library Folder
The Steam library folder contains all of your installed games on disk. These folders need to be writable by all users in order to update properly. Sometimes these user permissions break and need to be refreshed.

Navigate to your Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders -> Right click on folder -> Repair Folder

Change Download Region
The Steam content system is divided into geographical regions. The Steam client automatically detects its current region and uses content servers located in that region for best performance. Sometimes, servers in a specific region may be slow, overloaded or have a hardware failure causing download issues. It is advisable to temporarily switch to a different download region to use another set of content servers.

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region. You may need to test several regions other than your own.

I also frond this, it may help....:

58098: Looping download on “pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage

The content manager is stuck in a downloading loop on the “pc-fs-base-bigfiles-0.1.59.fspackage” and not progressing (about 17 GB into installation).

A potential work that works for some is to go to close Microsoft Flight Simulator, find the last downloaded files on your specified drive :\MSFS\Official\OneStore and delete them. Relaunch title and it will attempt to download again.

Some have also downloaded the content from another machine and copying it locally. We are working on this issue and will keep you updated.

Good luck
Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jb44mag » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:53 pm

OK since I started this discussion I will update my conclusion. I quit 2020 and went back to P3Dv5 until 2020 update 3 which allowed me to use my DIY switch panels. I have been back to 2020 and have programmed my DIY switch panels, CH Throttle Quadrant, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals, and Honeycomb Alpha accordingly. I am running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6 core 3.6 GHz, 32 GB installed RAM. GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER graphics. Program installed on 1TB SSD. Not the most powerful setup, but OK.
My opinion follows. Your milage may vary.

Pros:
-with all graphics set to maximus, I get >40FPS - This is better than I get with P3D max graphics.
- Scenery is much better than P3D, That is what makes 2020 a pleasure to fly. It could be much better if 2020 didn't use Bing Maps-I know Bing is MS product.
- Weather display is very good.

Cons:
-Few planes yet from 3rd parties
-Asobo planes are not finished products. Not yet Simulator quality, but OK for game play, I guess. Every plane has switches non operational. about half the switches on 747 are inop.
Carenado planes suffer from missing small things, but normal for carenado, from my experience. I have 20 or more Carenado planes for P3D. Speaking of scenery, Bing maps
are outdated and inaccurate. If you are simulating planes it is a negative that adobo planes don't have doors that open. Carenado does. The programming on the 350i does not work at all, from my flying experience.
- Have to have an Xbox membership to fly.
- The biggest problem of all, IMHO is deficient navigation, especially IFR flights. I have experimented with IFR flights from KVNY to KONT. ATC gives altitude changes but not heading info/changes. Asking for vectors takes the plane way beyond what the flight plan calls out and never vectors for landing. IRL IFR flights, ATC always gives course changes. VFR Flights with GPS Navigation works, how do you land at an airport that is IFR only?

Conclusion:
I am still flying 2020 but switch to P3D if I want to fly an accurate IFR. Or "round engine" planes. I think 2020 is a great game, but a poor simulator. I keep hoping MS will improve as a Simulator. But, it is important to remember Asobo is a game producer. I don't think they have any simulator experience. What I don't understand, key commands are radically different from FSX/P3D where most of us simmers came from. I am afraid MS/Asobo has a accomplished a very good game, I guess. But not a very good simulator. After all, 2020 is the Game of the Year, NOT Simulator of the Year.

If navigation is not fixed I will probably get so frustrated I will shelve 2020 and go back full time to P3D.

I would be interested in comments/rebutals from other "Simmers"

-Jim
jb44mag
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:03 am

MSFS game?

Air Safety Institute uses MSFS to demonstrate a fatal GA accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBUVMCbmFQ
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby striker » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:32 am

jb44mag/Jim

Thank you for a well written summary of basically what I think too. (Though I don't/won't use payware).

It seems a different kettle of fish to what us who've been simming for decades are used to. It seems normal to have stuff in 'beta' with bugs galore. After all the game itself is labelled as beta.
I don't think I've ever seen this kind of thing with previous Microsoft FS or P3D.

Yes the scenery is a scale above P3D as it's roughly real-ish. I have heard P3D have some big improvements in store in this area.
I also have the massive disadvantage of taking 6 hours to download the typical 20gb updates which makes me forget it. I am also a real life private pilot current on PA28's.

The other thing that does put me off is that you have to set up key commands and then only to find that the key you are used to is already used by FS2020 for something else. Certainly a stressful game for those who want a quick easy flight.
And I still haven't found out how to change aircraft, location, time, season, etc mid flight?

Great game for screenshots though.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Well for me it is the first time I have not bothered with an immediate purchase since MSFS v4. Reading the various problems over the past 1 year plus. I am glad I missed it thus far. I will stick with FSX and P3D and occasional XP for the moment. Looking forward to P3Dv6. Who reckons that will ever appear??
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby udidwht » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:42 am

Sim is very early in development still. It won;t be what it is now 2 years from now.
udidwht
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Authority924 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:42 am

FS2020 still has a lot of optimisation issues, I can't play using any joystick and even a gamepad controller, seems to me this game was designed specially for keyboard and it won't give you the full experience as many other Flight simulators
Authority924
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:41 am

Authority924 wrote:FS2020 still has a lot of optimisation issues, I can't play using any joystick and even a gamepad controller, seems to me this game was designed specially for keyboard and it won't give you the full experience as many other Flight simulators

This is the least serious answer I've seen in any forums in several years.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020