How are you finding it?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

How are you finding it?

Postby striker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:04 am

As an old timer in the Flight Simulator hobby, I'd be interested to hear of any of your thoughts of the new sim. I did just happen to buy a new PC last year. Not for this but I would have needed more than my old i5 8GB RAM one for sure.

Me still not sure. I'm certainly not making the move yet away from P3D5, which I love. Just tried MSFS 2020 out a few times in a few locations. Scenery can be great.

The user control, load times and flight characteristics have left me not completely impressed otherwise. And none of the aircraft are my kinda flying machines.

It's early days as we all know.

We shall see about patches, community input, creation of new freeware etc.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: How are you finding it?

Postby Fenson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am

Hey Striker, it's good to hear I'm not the only fossil enjoying FS2020! I find it literally a game changer, even got to see Bing's/MS's version of my house! Successfully downloaded and installed two planes but having a hell of a time installing liveries. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what I'm doing/not doing? I basically installed the liveries in the same fashion/path I successfully installed the aircraft. Keep on keeping on! <<q
Fenson
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby hertzie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:06 am

To Striker: about MSFS I should suggest to keep your money in your pocket and be patient for half a year.

To Fenson: send me a pm with the name of the plane you have troubles with and I'll see what I can do for you.

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:07 am

Fenson wrote:I successfully installed the aircraft. Keep on keeping on! <<q

I am really enjoying it too. It is a bit raw, but with updates and ad-dons, this is going to be a great Sim.
What aircraft have you installed?

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fenson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I have the F-18 hornet and the C-47 installed. The F-18 doesn't work the best, as we have been warned anyway by the builder, and the C-47 crashes the game when I either start or stop the engines, but as you say with the upcoming add-ons I'm indeed excited. The only thing that I haven't figured out is how to install the Klink liveries. I've made several attempts, but with no luck. I thought perhaps it was my game was not up to date but I checked it and all is well, oh well maybe someday!
Fenson
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby yancovitch » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm

would like to see what the c-47 looks like in fs 2020
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fenson » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:12 pm

actually yancovitch, i just downloaded it from this site 2 days ago, but it's no longer here. A beauty but not too reliable!
Fenson
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby expat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 pm

Fenson wrote:actually yancovitch, i just downloaded it from this site 2 days ago, but it's no longer here. A beauty but not too reliable!

I have been looking all over for it, but not had any luck....

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:57 am

Matt

The C-47 hadn't been authorised from the original creator, one of the greats in the FS design world, Manifred Jahn. So had to be removed. It seemed a very good addon and was way more fun, for me at least, than any of the defaults.

Good news is that there will indeed be plenty of freeware available over time.

And as predicted, patches have already been released. :D
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daube » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:17 am

striker wrote:As an old timer in the Flight Simulator hobby, I'd be interested to hear of any of your thoughts of the new sim. I did just happen to buy a new PC last year. Not for this but I would have needed more than my old i5 8GB RAM one for sure.

Me still not sure. I'm certainly not making the move yet away from P3D5, which I love. Just tried MSFS 2020 out a few times in a few locations. Scenery can be great.

The user control, load times and flight characteristics have left me not completely impressed otherwise. And none of the aircraft are my kinda flying machines.

It's early days as we all know.

We shall see about patches, community input, creation of new freeware etc.

Hi Striker,

I have to admit I share your opinion.
It's obvious the new sim has probably the greatest potential we've ever seen. But *right now*, it's not great. Mostly because of the lack of quality of the planes that are provided.
But as you said, these are early days and things will evolve fast.
SDK is progressing, developers are getting ready... good things will come soon :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:25 am

pete wrote:

Matt

The C-47 hadn't been authorised from the original creator, one of the greats in the FS design world, Manifred Jahn. So had to be removed. It seemed a very good addon and was way more fun, for me at least, than any of the defaults.

Good news is that there will indeed be plenty of freeware available over time.

And as predicted, patches have already been released. :D

Hagar pointed that out to me. Looks like there are a very lucky few who managed to get it before it was removed.
There is another one at allflightmods, it is only described as Freeware with thanks to a person who modded it. Just in case it disappears, I have downloaded the zip to my phone...I will try it out tonight.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 am

There is another one at allflightmods, it is only described as Freeware with thanks to a person who modded it. Just in case it disappears, I have downloaded the zip to my phone...I will try it out tonight.

You mean another C-47? Manifred told me he's found it uploaded elsewhere too and he's trying to track them down to get them removed. There is no authorised Manifred Jahn C-47 for MFSFS 2020.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby papituwall » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am

Let's wait for native MSFS of Mandfred and team aircraft.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 am

pete wrote:

You mean another C-47? Manifred told me he's found it uploaded elsewhere too and he's trying to track them down to get them removed. There is no authorised Manifred Jahn C-47 for MFSFS 2020.

I will send you the link by PM. If it is his, then it should be removed.
Edit....
It is Manfreds C-47

and they had the cheek to add this in a read me.....

The C-47 models were created under Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules using assets from
Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition, (c) Microsoft Corporation. See http://www.xbox.com/en-
US/Community/Developer/Rules

Redistributing this archive with any files added, removed or modified is prohibited.

This archive (or any parts of it) may NOT be included in other packages without the written
permission of the authors.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daddymac555 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi I have had a Microsoft FS ever since the first one came out. I have just got FS20. My thoughts are that the Flight dynamics are not very good, The autopilot is unreliable & does not always work, ie it will put you into a 360 roll. Real weather isn't working properly, not for the UK anyway. There is no replay to see how you landed etc. No tower view. I have used all the others on my system but still prefer FSX. To be honest I am a little disappointed.
I will say however it is very smooth.
Iff anybody on hear can tell me where can I find the files in file explorer.
Daddymac555
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020