1st impressions

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

1st impressions

Postby cevans » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Reminds me of Microsoft Flight a little more than any MSFS series so far. It seems to want to control what you can add rather than release a SDK for the community to make aircraft etc. Hopefully that will come!!

DO NOT like the load times and way it loads.

In real life I have trees beside my house and it has translated them into a large office / housing block.

All buildings I know in my area, many of them very interesting architecturally or historical, tend to be generic characterless blocks you might expect in suburban German towns or similar. I saw a historic castle that is an office block in MSFS.

No aspect yet of being able to produce aircraft from the community. Without this, it's on a countdown to only being used by a much smaller group as gamers will get bored, and simmers want open source
creations and variety. Only a small % want to keep spending $$$.

Total PIA to set up controls etc. Even when you do they are not 100% and often you have to re-do it.

It's pretty evident the difference between Google Earth and Bing maps. GE is far ahead. Wouldn't it be great if P3D did the next version using GE!!! P3D is already miles ahead of FSX.

I do like the overall scenery but there will 100% be patches released as there are so many glitches so far. Genuinely not sure if I like it yet.

And let's really hope they do release a SDK that can be realistically used by hobbyists to create addons.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: 1st impressions

Postby expat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Reminds me of Microsoft Flight a little more than any MSFS series so far. It seems to want to control what you can add rather than release a SDK for the community to make aircraft etc. Hopefully that will come!!
Early days, there was always a lack of extras each time a new Sim came out. As for control, you cannot opt out of data collection. The choice is either lots or less than lots....

DO NOT like the load times and way it loads.
Yes, I have had every version so far, click fly, go make a cup of coffee....

In real life I have trees beside my house and it has translated them into a large office / housing block.

It looks like the AI thinks we live on the Forrest Planet Endor.....Germany has a lot of trees, but bugger me, not that many. And my house it where it should be, but again the AI seems to think that all houses were built between 1930 and 1945....

No aspect yet of being able to produce aircraft from the community. Without this, it's on a countdown to only being used by a much smaller group as gamers will get bored, and simmers want open source
creations and variety. Only a small % want to keep spending $$$.

Early day, but if that is the case, I will get bored quickly. I was disappointed not to see a 737 and at least one warbird.

Total PIA to set up controls etc. Even when you do they are not 100% and often you have to re-do it.

I have to say it picked up and configured my Saitek yoke and throttle without having to do anything. It also programmed all switches and showed my a picture of what the functions were. Unfortunately VRinsight does not have any compatible software (yet?) for my nav panel....

It's pretty evident the difference between Google Earth and Bing maps. GE is far ahead. Wouldn't it be great if P3D did the next version using GE!!! P3D is already miles ahead of FSX.
Bing over Google Earth, I don't know, this is the first time I have used Bing, but the AI needs to learn. All boats and and most bridges were submerged and those bridges that were not...........Had trees on them :lol:

I do like the overall scenery but there will 100% be patches released as there are so many glitches so far. Genuinely not sure if I like it yet.
Me too, if you fly above 2000 feet, it looks fantastic. As for glitches, Beta testing is to make sure it does not crash, release is the true Beta testing....MS trawling the forums to see what the complaints are and then maybe patching them.

And let's really hope they do release a SDK that can be realistically used by hobbyists to create addons.
I do hope so other wise as you pointed out it will be a sim for a selected few. Without the ability to at least add aircraft from the community, I will lose interest. Payware is all well and good, but if you are on a budget, it will get expensive very quickly....

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dave T » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:45 pm

I think for the time being I will stick with what I have. I can fly lots of different aircraft, helicopters, gliders and do carrier ops which are all missing in MSFS and with lots of different liveries.
I will give microsoft a few months to convince me that its worth it to change to MSFS, I will let other people be Microsofts guinea pigs before I will commit to MSFS.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby viper_polo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm

There is an SDK, It's quite easy to use and there's quite a few scenery addons available already, alongside some people that have managed to get additional planes working in engine.
viper_polo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby expat » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:42 am

viper_polo wrote:There is an SDK, It's quite easy to use and there's quite a few scenery addons available already, alongside some people that have managed to get additional planes working in engine.

People keep talking about the SDK and available addons, but as of yet, I have not found either.............. :think:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby papituwall » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:39 am

HOW TO DOWNLOAD SDK

Go to General in menu.
In Developers, put Developer mode ON
You get a Menu bar, go to Help and select SDK installer

Some people should be informed before blaming MS
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 am

papituwall wrote:[b]Some people should be informed before blaming MS

Who is blaming MS here....?

If you have found stuff that others can't, no need to be high and nightly about it.

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby expat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:23 am

If you are looking for the SDK, it is here it is the link from the Sim.

https://cdn.playfab.com/2fb7c/etc/Sdk/M ... BNZZU4TTQA

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FelixFFDS2 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 am

Thanks - but I think it needs to be accessed from within the sim, as per the instructions!

<<darn it!>>

Felix/FFDS

expat wrote:If you are looking for the SDK, it is here it is the link from the Sim.

https://cdn.playfab.com/2fb7c/etc/Sdk/M ... BNZZU4TTQA

Matt
FelixFFDS2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020