Absolute disaster!

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Re: Absolute disaster!

Postby cevans » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:59 am

HI

Getting your W10 PC working again will almost certainly be a relatively simple process.

Please don't dive into a re-format. I have heard of folk doing this and loosing a lot of data un-necessarily. Is this a SSD drive?

What exactly happened?

If all fails there are plenty of PC service people everywhere who will fix this for a very modest fee.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:44 pm

expat wrote:............ It would appear you need to know where you want to go and not just select an airport in a region you want to fly in. Just a map with white dots that do not ID themselves when you put the mouse on them.

just a suggestion; have you tried zooming in on those 'white dots' ?
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:00 pm

What exactly happened?

What happened was that my C: got locked so I couldn't even boot the computer. I tried various command lines in the DOS window but nothing would unlock the drive. I therefore bit the bullet and formatted it (as I have been forced to do many times on various computers) and reinstalled Win 10. It now works better than before (not surprising as there is less on it) and I have been able to access my Microsoft account. All this to no avail as my fs20 redemption key has been associated with the downloadable version and will not work with my disc version. :doh: Microsoft assistants say there is nothing they can do to reset it. Not only that, but I can't even download it as there is some kind of conflict with an installed app - Code: 0x80073CF3. :( I have at least got fs9 working so I'll have to settle for that for the time being.

If all fails there are plenty of PC service people everywhere who will fix this for a very modest fee.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right - throw more good money after bad? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I live in UK by the way!
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby lairdofglencoe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:01 am

Having seen all the negative press on this new sim, my feeling is that this edition is barely a beta test, so I'll pass for now.
I think what really freaked me out most was that to enjoy a sim that costs relatively little, I have to spend thousands of (put any currency you like) on new hardware to make it run as well as FSX !
Somebody should remind Microsoft that most of us run laptops, not super gaming PC's fitted with with 2000+ dollar graphics cards with 16 or so Giga VRAM !
lairdofglencoe
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby lairdofglencoe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:14 am

Admitted that there are people who can "fix" a PC after it gets corrupted by FS20, that is not the point.
Here we have a program that by contract of sale says that it will provide some sort of service. Due to something beyond the control of the the user, it it then damages the PC to the extent that it needs a service engineer to fix it - this is BAD! And breach of Contract. Any ensuing repair costs shgould be at Microsoft expense. It is their software that has caused the problem (or their lack of instructions as to how to install and activate it correctly).
Let's say you bought the top-line version (so that you can have 15 high-detail airports you may never really want to fly into) - your friendly "service engineer" is likely to charge you about double the purchase price to "fix" your PC. Real bargain !!!
lairdofglencoe
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:44 am

Do you know what...
I took a motorcycle trip from Hereford to Cinderford on Sunday, 30th August, to see my Grandson who had just downloaded FS2020 onto his tower gaming computer for me to see and evaluate it...(buy it at £60?).
He took me for a trip around my favourite spot in California; San Francisco, and the surrounding areas, which I know so so well, since Flight Unlimited II, FS 2002, FS 2004, and FSX!
The new "scenery" is amazing...
...but... what was missing, was the excitement and enjoyment I had from all the familiar scenery from all the old Flight Sims...
...airfields, and airstrips!
The new sim out of the box seems to be missing all those familiar places!
Many of the regular Airports and Airstrips no longer appear!...where did Half Moon Bay (KHAF) go, I ask myself!
I'm an "Old Codger" now, and I well remember "Old Times" in all my sim travels around the world in the old Flight Sims since FS95, and the experience on FS2020 is never the same!
Would I spend £60 on FS2020....
..mmmmm....
Time will tell!
.... :D ....!
Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:05 am

Fozzer wrote:Many of the regular Airports and Airstrips no longer appear!...where did Half Moon Bay (KHAF) go, I ask myself!
!

Halfmoon bay is there Fozzer, I was simming out of it yesterday.
I have to say the airport selection system is not very good at all. Often, the drop down does not recognise where I want to go or you have to zoom into the white dots to find out what the airport it is and you are so zoomed in you lose awareness of where you are in relation to that part of the world.
However, the graphics are incredible.....

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 pm

lairdofglencoe wrote:Having seen all the negative press on this new sim, my feeling is that this edition is barely a beta test, so I'll pass for now.
I think what really freaked me out most was that to enjoy a sim that costs relatively little, I have to spend thousands of (put any currency you like) on new hardware to make it run as well as FSX !
Somebody should remind Microsoft that most of us run laptops, not super gaming PC's fitted with with 2000+ dollar graphics cards with 16 or so Giga VRAM !

I think Microsoft was caught between a rock and a hard place.
This isn't a game. It's a simulator. Unlike fsx etc the planes react like they do in the real world. It's more difficult to fly although there is the ' easy' setting that gives a more simple ' game' experience.
But running fs2020 on a laptop?
I don't see how that could work while remaining a simulator.
View the hardware requirements clearly put up front by MS.
This isn't for laptops.
But MS marketing, pushing this in the X box division calls it a 'game'.
I think it will be on an X Box eventually.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Cusance wrote:
lairdofglencoe wrote:Having seen all the negative press on this new sim, my feeling is that this edition is barely a beta test, so I'll pass for now.

This isn't for laptops.

I have to disagree. I am running it on a Laptop, admittedly a gaming laptop, I have everything at "ultra" setting, but it works fine on a lappy. I use a Saitek Pro yoke and throttles.........Unfortunately as all the hardware companies out there dropped the ball in a very big phuq-ing way, my VRinsight panel makes a good door stop at the moment as does all of the other Saitek panels.....

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:01 pm

expat wrote:
Cusance wrote:

This isn't for laptops.

I have to disagree. I am running it on a Laptop, admittedly a gaming laptop, I have everything at "ultra" setting, but it works fine on a lappy. I use a Saitek Pro yoke and throttles.........Unfortunately as all the hardware companies out there dropped the ball in a very big phuq-ing way, my VRinsight panel makes a good door stop at the moment as does all of the other Saitek panels.....

Matt

Thanks, I stand corrected.
But by the sound of it, thats a beefy laptop.
I shouldnt have generalised. I took the original posting to mean just an average laptop.
A good high spec gaming laptop will cost almost as much as desktop gear.
I think the point being that this Simulator isnt FSX or an upgrade and should not be viewed in the same 'light'.
Its miles away and will require
some chunky hardware if you want to get the most out of it.
thanks for your correction. I should have been clearer.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 am

Cusance wrote:
expat wrote:
Cusance wrote:

Matt

Thanks, I stand corrected.
But by the sound of it, thats a beefy laptop.
I shouldnt have generalised. I took the original posting to mean just an average laptop.
A good high spec gaming laptop will cost almost as much as desktop gear.
I think the point being that this Simulator isnt FSX or an upgrade and should not be viewed in the same 'light'.
Its miles away and will require
some chunky hardware if you want to get the most out of it.
thanks for your correction. I should have been clearer.

I am not correcting anyone.... ^-^
I will admit that running it from a laptop is not the easiest thing to do. Once my yoke and throttles are in front of it, the keyboard is a little far away for comfortable usage, but I have a 17" screen at least. I will need to build a stand so the lappy is above the yoke possibly, that, or a USB keyboard, but then the table gets rather cluttered. However power wise the the laptop is more than up to it. I bought the sim and after install found that my old laptop was just not up to the job, so specifically bought this one so I could enjoy the sim at full settings. It is an ASUS A17 Tuf Gaming. I will admit that it only came with 8Gig of RAM. With this I could run on high settings, but I bought an extra 8Gig and now run on ultra.
And yes, it did cost me the same as a good gaming desktop...........But I don't have the space for a desktop set up, my desk is full of another hobby I have.....

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020