Folder structure

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Folder structure

Postby cevans » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:39 am

Can anyone who has downloaded the new MSFS tell us what the folder structure is?

I'd like to know if they completely broken away from the traditional structure of airplanes with sub folders for panel/sound/model etc

Still deciding when to buy and what version. I never use the default planes much, even in P3D 5 with all the 'payware' aircraft included so not sure of it's worth spending out on the top version or just buy the basic

If there is no hope of being able to add general user creations in future I may not buy at all, or at least for now.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Folder structure

Postby papituwall » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi Chris,

If installed in default location, the program is in:

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

And addons here:

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

The exe is protected and cannot be accessed, is located in: C:\Program files\WindowsApps, but his folder cannot be opened.

The structure for aircraft has a main folder named (for instance): asobo-aircraft-208b-grand-caravan-ex, containing:

*RTC
*Simobjects/Airplanes/asobo_208b_grand_caravan_ex
Inside this last folder there are:
Checklist
Model (with many .BIN and .3DObject files)
Panel (small .cfg but long .xml)
Sound (.PCK and .xml files)
Soundai
Texture (in the Caravan 161 files). The .cfg is the same as in FSX. Because all the aircraft have only one livery I can not tell you how are additional textures
The aircraft.cfg is a short text but then there are several folders: ai, aircraft, cameras, cockpit, engines, flight model, gameplay, systems and target performance, plus several .flt files.

This looks really excessively complex.

Take into account that you can select two flight models, the classic (FSX) and the new one.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby papituwall » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:54 am

I have found this web, you can see how extra liveries are and its installation: https://www.msfsaddons.org/liveries/liv ... lines-a320
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby cevans » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi thank you!

I've bought the new sim and now appreciate the link to the how to create repaints. These will be default for now.

I've done a lot of repaints of various kinds as it's my main hobby. I'm stuck at home after a serious injury and this keeps me sane.

I do not like the way you need to be logged into MS to do anything including download the new sim! I bought the thing and gave them my $$$. Now they can butt out! :naughty: Hope it's only my FS that is shared.

This new access needs to be looked at carefully and personal privacy is quite a concern.

For now I'll get what I need then do what I can to keep MS out of my private system and non related areas of my pc.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:36 pm

papituwall wrote:Hi Chris,

The exe is protected and cannot be accessed, is located in: C:\Program files\WindowsApps, but his folder cannot be opened.

So if I clone my C drive for backup using Macrium Reflect or some program like that, will these 'protected' folders be backed up
and properly restored back? :think:
I suppose an email to Macrium is in order .
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:43 am

@cusance: Those files are part of a Microsoft system for its programs. I finally (changing ownership) have been able of opening the folder but the .exe is protected and can not be modified. I have read that in steam version there is not this problem.
I needed the exe for adjusting my thrusmarter pedals via thrusmaster but it is impossible.
I can not tell you about the backup.
Concerning a backup of addons, it's easy, all are placed in community folder, included aircraft repaits.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby papituwall » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:58 am

@cevans: Sorry to know about your injuries. I wish you a speedy recovery.
I'm not aware of the problem you mention of loggin in MS, not if Steam is the same or how the DVD version works, but if you want play with full scenery, an internet connection is needed. Play offline has a nice scenery but is not the same.
I have been alpha and beta tester since january, and the downloads were in the same way.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby napamule » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Keep MS out of your PC? You must be joking. To use MS2020 you HAVE to use Windows 10. Period! With Windows 10 MS doesn't need for you to install anything else. That alone is sufficient for MS to farm every iota of information (private or 'shared') from your PC and there is nothing you can do about it. MS spent $10 Million to buy servers to store all this 'demographic' information it is getting because Windows 10 'calls home' in the background. You pay them $$$ and they make $$$ by selling the information it collects. How is that? Par for the course when it comes to who is zooming who. They don't tell you everything do they. Of course not. So now you know the rest of the story!
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020