Info on addons (?)

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Info on addons (?)

Postby cevans » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 am

Just been reading this about the Marketplace Partner Program

I see no mention or even hint of the aspect of open source freeware creation or backward compatibility. If you're into payware fine. But many of us are not. I would even say the majority of us are not, going by download numbers.
hummm. Why am I suddenly less enthusiastic? :think:
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Info on addons (?)

Postby pete » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:33 am

The way I read that is that is is an additional way for payware companies to sell their content within the 'game' or sim. It could especially apply to xbox users I would think.

I don't read it that non participants will be excluded from creating content.

As for backward compatibility and freeware I have yet to see anything about that.

They should remember freeware gave the FS series the popularity it has had and continues to have, and built it's foundations.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Doering » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

pete wrote:The way I read that is that is is an additional way for payware companies to sell their content within the 'game' or sim. It could especially apply to xbox users I would think.

I don't read it that non participants will be excluded from creating content.

As for backward compatibility and freeware I have yet to see anything about that.

They should remember freeware gave the FS series the popularity it has had and continues to have, and built it's foundations.

Quite true, but I don’t think there is going to be any backward compatibility (out of the gate) given the new technology and coding. Perhaps down the road we may see some backwards compatibility from some creative developer(s) as there is so much great stuff in FSX.
My latest video at The Flight Level - World's Most Dangerous Approach - RNAV (RNP) Landing RWY 15 at Paro Airport- Bhutan - 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2KxjLdJgY&t=1084s
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:39 am

I'm not sure if I want backward compatibility with my older add-ons. I would rather consider MSFS as a totally brand new sim, which it is, & not try to fit older add-ons into it. I would rather use add-ons that are written for the game, than those that are modified.
Just saying.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:55 am

I don't want to see the creative community left behind and only payware available for it. Period.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:27 pm

I agree, my first point of call is freeware. Those devs are doing it for the love of the sim & the hobby. I'm not really into the tubes, button flying & bus driving, & there is a huge amount of very interesting freeware props out there. Oldies, & low's 'n slow's .
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Recent news is that the SDK will ship on release date too. However they also mention that the SDK is, by preliminary accounts of major developers, incomplete, not alway functional, does not work as expected, or is lacking in documentation. It is still unknown if the SDK will continue to be polished over time, or if it will be up to the community to use the SDK to develop more useful tools, much as how things went with previous sim versions.

I have told many of my sim friends the same thing...
I am reserving any decision to move into MSFS, or any judgement of the sim itself, until it is released and can be fully explored and reviewed by "real" users.

The current alpha testers are stuck with a NDA, and are more interested in youtube hits anyways. MS is using them to blow sunshine out the exhaust end of the sim, and until real users get their hands on it, we won't know if its better than the current popular sims in use now.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Doering » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:32 pm

pegger wrote:The current alpha testers are stuck with a NDA, and are more interested in youtube hits anyways. MS is using them to blow sunshine out the exhaust end of the sim, and until real users get their hands on it, we won't know if its better than the current popular sims in use now.

Quite true to some degree. I’m pretty sure the sim is going to be the best we’ve seen visually, especially for VFR flying. If the flight dynamics are not up to par with the best we have now, then there is going to be a lot of disappointment. But somehow, I think we are in for a phenomenal treat with the implementation of the new technology. Cheers and blue skies.
My latest video at The Flight Level - World's Most Dangerous Approach - RNAV (RNP) Landing RWY 15 at Paro Airport- Bhutan - 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2KxjLdJgY&t=1084s
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:04 am

zswobbie1 wrote:I agree, my first point of call is freeware. Those devs are doing it for the love of the sim & the hobby. I'm not really into the tubes, button flying & bus driving, & there is a huge amount of very interesting freeware props out there. Oldies, & low's 'n slow's .

There has to be some realism here folks. We have all seen the trailers and the various videos.
Are we really expecting to be able to port these older planes into this new sim, and more
to the point would you even want to? Seeing how this new sim works, how the planes are constructed, how they fly
I am not sure how realistic it is to expect some old models from FSX, quite possibly upgrades from FS9 etc be compatible with
this new sim. The expression 'chalk & cheese' comes to mind. At some point I feel I must leave that behind. doesnt mean uninstall, but not expecting to have these old
models ported to the new sim.
I agree with a post in this thread: I am going to see this as a new sim and use for the time being the planes provided.
Right now there is no reason to assume that it wont be possible for designers to create planes for this new sim.
Nor that they wont be able to make them available as freeware. But I have a strong suspicion that it wont be that simple
to port planes over from FSX.
We will see.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jez2768 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:41 am

hi i think with the new flight sim will just have to wait and see regarding add ons youve got to remember this is new yer pluss its been over ten years since fsx came out
jez2768
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020