Interesting video comparing side by side visuals of the new MSFS and FSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FS2020 vs FSX visuals comparison

Postby Dave T » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm

FS9/FSX have served me well but they look very dated when compared with FS2020. Why do you have to be logged in to view anything related to FS2020, is there a reason that FS2020 subjects are locked?
We are all waiting to see how much FS2020 is going to cost and how Microsoft are going to market it.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Very_Old_Man » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 pm

My understanding right now is FS2020 is going to be online and/or using Xbox.
Guess like their failed attempt before?
Sure no indication of any DVDs version!
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Doering » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Very_Old_Man wrote:My understanding right now is FS2020 is going to be online and/or using Xbox.
Guess like their failed attempt before?
Sure no indication of any DVDs version!

There will be an option to fly off line by pre-installing scenery.
My latest video at The Flight Level - World's Most Dangerous Approach - RNAV (RNP) Landing RWY 15 at Paro Airport- Bhutan - 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2KxjLdJgY&t=1084s
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Very_Old_Man » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Let me understand. An option to fly off-line. So pay MS and download some (all?) scenery to your system?
Then be able to "use" the package off-line? Think I read a requirement of some 150Gb on ones system.
I am still using the Vista OS on my system. Am I going to have a problem?
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:06 pm

If I recall correctly, FS2020 will be Win10 only.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:47 pm

It's actually called Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS. There is no 2020 or 20 in the title at all.
It will only run on Windows 10, not on any unsupported operating systems.

It will, it has been said, be released for PC first, then Xbox at a later stage. Both off-line as well as on-line flying to get the benefit of realtime AI & weather.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Doering » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:58 pm

Very_Old_Man wrote:Let me understand. An option to fly off-line. So pay MS and download some (all?) scenery to your system?
Then be able to "use" the package off-line? Think I read a requirement of some 150Gb on ones system.
I am still using the Vista OS on my system. Am I going to have a problem?

Yes, I think the hard drive market will see a bit of a boost!
My latest video at The Flight Level - World's Most Dangerous Approach - RNAV (RNP) Landing RWY 15 at Paro Airport- Bhutan - 4K
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Very_Old_Man » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:51 pm

I should have read the piece about min. specs. So my Vista won't get the job done.
Min. OS appears to be a 2019 version of Windows 10. Sigh...
I seriously doubt I shall go with the new FS.
My Vista seems to still be working just fine with FSX!
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 am

Well you're not "forced" to go to the new FS, are you ? ;)
Your FSX will keep working fine, and if you are satisfied with it, you don't need to change.
You can eventually reconsider this if your computer breaks down and you are forced to buy a new one.
That new computer will have Windows 10, then you'll have all options open: reinstall FSX and your addons, or buy MSFS, or P3D, or XPlane, etc... Whatever attracts you most :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:42 am

Concerning the video above, it certainly shows how much years have passed since FSX came out.
I personally can't wait to spend time exploring the world in MSFS and discover all these unknown (or famous) landscapes.
However, I'm getting concerned about the addons a bit. There is not much communication regarding the freeware community.

One recent info I got is that 3DSMax is currently the only 3D edition tool able to export models for MSFS. Less expensive or free alternative tools (blender etc...) seem not to be supported yet.
As a consequence, for now, usual freeware creators are simply unable to create anything for MSFS, and this is a major issue.
I don't know if anybody here has got any additional, or more up-to-date informations about this ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Doering » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:45 am

Daube wrote:Concerning the video above, it certainly shows how much years have passed since FSX came out.
I personally can't wait to spend time exploring the world in MSFS and discover all these unknown (or famous) landscapes.
However, I'm getting concerned about the addons a bit. There is not much communication regarding the freeware community.

One recent info I got is that 3DSMax is currently the only 3D edition tool able to export models for MSFS. Less expensive or free alternative tools (blender etc...) seem not to be supported yet.
As a consequence, for now, usual freeware creators are simply unable to create anything for MSFS, and this is a major issue.
I don't know if anybody here has got any additional, or more up-to-date informations about this ?

Yes, so true. It maybe years before freeware creators can really contribute to this new addition. Have a look here to see if there is any more info.
https://fs2020faq.wordpress.com/
Cheers
Doering
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby villagedefrance » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am

Daube wrote:One recent info I got is that 3DSMax is currently the only 3D edition tool able to export models for MSFS. Less expensive or free alternative tools (blender etc...) seem not to be supported yet.

The MSFS SDK is still under development and not yet available to Alpha Testers but it should contain its own "Plane Editor" and "Airport Editor".
I can't wait to have a look at them, but it is most unlikely that it will be tomorrow (July 9th) with the release of the next Alpha 5 build. We will have to wait a bit longer for the SDK I think.

Microsoft and Asobo are fully aware that giving the tools to create and enrich the sim is essential, if they want to produce the best flight simulator on the market.
The FS9/FSX community is a vibrant reminder of this, still going strong after 16 years.
villagedefrance
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020 vs FSX visuals comparison

Postby Delta_ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:37 am

Very excited about this new flight sim. I think they could have gone further with the visuals. Think about that has been achieved with open world games like grand theft auto and the ground detail is incredible. Regardless I am looking forward to this release. I need a new graphics card so will probably wait until the 3080 range is out and also will need to pick up some new flight controllers or joystick.
Delta_
Major
Major

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020 vs FSX visuals comparison

Postby SubZer0 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:29 am

pete wrote:Interesting video comparing side by side visuals of the new MSFS and FSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Thanks for sharing, Pete.

By the way... it's been YEARS! Hope you've been well, bud. It's rare I see a name I still remember when I pop my head in here every now and then but it does happen! 13+ years and here we are... amazing.
SubZer0
Major
Major

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020