FS 2020 Info

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Re: FS 2020 Info

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:39 am

zeus981 wrote:Does anyone know what the story is about purchasing FS 2020 as opposed to paying a monthly fee to download data and fly .. I suspect the latter is to be the case.

Nobody knows because for the moment, guys from Asobo and MS refuse to talk about it. The final pricing is simply not decided yet.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am

garymbuska wrote:I am not to concerned about upgrading as I did that a while back While my video card does not compare to the RTX card But I do not think that there are any that do because of the ray tracing that is what sets this card apart from all others. But I have so much other payware things like Active Sky and Active Sky cloud Art. I do not see how any of these will work in a different sim which means you will have to purchase another license.
Now so far the places I get my payware from has offered discounts which does help offset some of the cost but it still means more $$$$$ and right now I just can not do that.
so I plan on trying to put some $$$ away so I can get one of these cards.

the link below is about the cheapest I have seen so far for a RTX based card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=8754
<<r

Just save your money for now and don't buy any hardware.
The tech demo, from which we got the videos, ran on an i7 8700K coupled with a NVidia RTX 2080ti, if I understood correctly. However, since the sim does not use the ray tracing technology, an RTX card is not required. Maybe the RTX gives better performance for AntiAliasing on a 4K screen. But if you plan to play in full HD only, a GTX card might be enough.
And we don't know what will be the price of RT cards in one year, when FS2020 will *maybe* be released ;)
So now is not the time to upgrade your computer :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:45 am

Here is a small link to an article that makes a clear and simple summary of the various information we got out of all these videos and interviews so far. Quite useful :)
https://www.simflight.com/2019/10/03/mi ... -features/
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby zeus981 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:02 am

Daube wrote:
zeus981 wrote:Does anyone know what the story is about purchasing FS 2020 as opposed to paying a monthly fee to download data and fly .. I suspect the latter is to be the case.

Nobody knows because for the moment, guys from Asobo and MS refuse to talk about it. The final pricing is simply not decided yet.

The article on the simflight.com page ( https://www.simflight.com/2019/10/03/mi ... -features/ ) states-
"No local storage on your hard disk, but scenery data streaming via Internet then local rendering on your PC. 3 modes available for the streaming :
Adaptive Streaming : maximum scenery data details upon your Internet connection speed and reliability
Fully Offline Mode : no Internet required, you fly the default scenery provided out of the box, still good enough for VFR but with much less storage required than 2 PB!
Pre-Cache Mode : same scenery data than with the Adaptative Streaming mode, with all details, but you download a selected area before your flight performed without any Internet connection."
This suggests to me that we will pay for the product up front which will give the ability to fly in off-line mode and to fly in the other two modes (that the PR video is based on) we will have a user pays download fee.. i.e. the more we fly, the more we pay.
zeus981
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Where exactly do you see that this is suggested ?
MS said they don't know about the pricing yet. The rest is your imagination.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby zeus981 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:56 am

Daube wrote:Where exactly do you see that this is suggested ?
MS said they don't know about the pricing yet. The rest is your imagination.

I suppose if humans did not have an imagination, we'd all still be living in caves.. It is a process of 'joining the dots' on the information given out. MS obviously are not going to commit to a price until the product is finalised and they have a feel for how much interest there is in it, as cost of production never determines the price.. its just the floor price.. final price is all about how much will the consumer pay for it.... and in this case I'm betting its a question of MS working out how much will simmers pay per gb of download. Would anyone care to offer any other way that MS is going to re-coup the cost of 2000tb of data.
zeus981
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am

Same way that Google recoups costs of using data from Google Maps, or Microsoft's data from Bing Maps.

It's free for us, is it not?
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 am

If you are going have to stream all of the data than to me that is a big mistake because not all internet connections are the same which would more than likely translate to stutters especially during high volumes.
Now I know that streaming has come a long way but still it comes down to ones internet connections and bandwidth and if dial up still exists forget it. But no need to panic just yet this is all speculation.
Even now you do not have to put all of your scenery on your hard drive but to me it just does not make any sense not to. There is no way it would be faster.
I am not a big fan of streaming and it wont take long for some one to mess it up by tying up the servers.
<<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 am

garymbuska wrote:If you are going have to stream all of the data than to me that is a big mistake because not all internet connections are the same which would more than likely translate to stutters especially during high volumes.
Now I know that streaming has come a long way but still it comes down to ones internet connections and bandwidth and if dial up still exists forget it. But no need to panic just yet this is all speculation.
Even now you do not have to put all of your scenery on your hard drive but to me it just does not make any sense not to. There is no way it would be faster.
I am not a big fan of streaming and it wont take long for some one to mess it up by tying up the servers.
<<r

For those like myself, who suffer from slow internet connections, there is a "pre-cache" mode allowing us to slowly download the local scenery prior to our flights in that area.
Kind of like Ortho4XP, but with a much better result :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 am

This is ideally going to be for XBOX from a article I read there is not a computer on the planet that can run this the way it was intended to run. Form the same article I read that this was going to be subscription based program
the data will be streamed which means you better have a good interne connection or the results will not be all that great.
There has been no minimum system requirements released as of yet. But of course every knows what a joke that is. Now mind you you can create a system that will run this game but not the way it was intended to do
It states that you will need a Eight core CPU and around 12 Gigs of ram and in case you do not know an 8 core CPU is not going to be cheap around $500.00 and than of course you will need a mother board to support it the cheapest I found was $175.00 shipping not included.
so you are looking at $700.00 roughly but do not forget about ram video card GTX series 10 at least and a Power supply 500 watt min. you will spend close to if not over $1,000.00 I would guess about $1,500.00 should do the trick.
not to bad but I do not have an extra 16 hundred dollars laying around, If any does let me know :D :lol:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

garymbuska wrote:

This is ideally going to be for XBOX from a article I read there is not a computer on the planet that can run this the way it was intended to run. Form the same article I read that this was going to be subscription based program
the data will be streamed which means you better have a good interne connection or the results will not be all that great.
There has been no minimum system requirements released as of yet. But of course every knows what a joke that is. Now mind you you can create a system that will run this game but not the way it was intended to do
It states that you will need a Eight core CPU and around 12 Gigs of ram and in case you do not know an 8 core CPU is not going to be cheap around $500.00 and than of course you will need a mother board to support it the cheapest I found was $175.00 shipping not included.
so you are looking at $700.00 roughly but do not forget about ram video card GTX series 10 at least and a Power supply 500 watt min. you will spend close to if not over $1,000.00 I would guess about $1,500.00 should do the trick.
not to bad but I do not have an extra 16 hundred dollars laying around, If any does let me know :D :lol:

That article was most like some FS-bashing based on uninformed sources.
We already have quite a lot of info regarding the performance of the sim and how to use it.
And no, it is not "ideally going to be for XBOX".
You should read more reliable sources ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby PsychoDiablo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Daube wrote:
garymbuska wrote:

That article was most like some FS-bashing based on uninformed sources.
We already have quite a lot of info regarding the performance of the sim and how to use it.
And no, it is not "ideally going to be for XBOX".
You should read more reliable sources ;)

This, it'll be released for PC first and i haven't seen anything about paying a subscription.
PsychoDiablo
Captain
Captain

Postby Cusance » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:08 am

Daube wrote:On the positive side, there's a good chance for most of your sceneries to become totally useless for the new sim, given how the default world looks like :)
But sceneries like custom airports might still be useful, in some cases.
For the planes, despite what they said, I'm not so optimistic. Maybe some might work, but the thing is: most complex addons use complex gauges, systems and external modules (DLLs) that will probably not be compatible.
Simple planes like freewares might port more easilly, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort ? The contrast with the very high quality of the default planes might be cruel in some cases...

I was catching up on some of the comments and this one struck me. I must assume that MS kept firms like ORBX in the loop.
But having seen the scenery that MS plan to provide 'out of the box' I kinda wonder what these add on companies, specially the ones providing scenery
can provide for this new Sim. Seems to me that the default scenery is so accurate, something a lot of reviewers have commented on, just what's left to add?
I was planning on upgrading my stuff but will now hang on to see what the requirements will be of this new sim. One thing that worries me slightly is that all the demo
videos seem to have been running on a RTX 2080i ??
Not exactly run of the mill. It would be nice if, apart from SAYING the system will adapt to lower cards, we actually saw that.
but I guess that's for later reviews.
I think if I was a scenery provider, I would be a bit concerned though.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:54 pm

The thing is, the default sceneries will only include two kinds of buildings:
- the "photogrametry" buildings, made from extrapolation of the aerial pictures of special types
- the "autogen", made of generic buildings placed accurately on top of the photorealistic ground textures, anywhere photogrametry is not available.

Both of these will look very good... but only from a certain distance.
In the case of photogrametry buildings, things could get a bit ugly when viewed from very close.
In the case of generic buildings, well... they are generic.
So in both cases, there is room for a good OrbX-style airport scenery with accurate 3D buildings that would be beautiful even from very close distance (think about hangars, jetways etc...).
But yes, sceneries based on landclass are probably not going to happen in FS2020... and that's not a bad thing ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby B0ikat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 pm

For VR fans, the development team now says...

https://www.pcgamer.com/vr-is-a-very-hi ... ator-team/

With all the things everyone wants to see in FS2020, I hope everyone understands that the development team, at some point, has to "red line" the development so they can actually get around to releasing MS2020.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020