FS 2020 Info

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

FS 2020 Info

Postby B0ikat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Just a heads up for anyone that's missing out, there are a flood of new FS 2020 YouTube preview reaction and development vids popping up. Most of the flight demos are watermarked as "pre-alpha". There are a few MS 2020 development team interviews too.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: FS 2020 Info

Postby pete » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:29 am

Here is a good one

http://inspire.eaa.org/2019/09/30/an-in ... hG3cWBgY5c

Best news for Simviation is that it should be to some extent backward compatible and will allow users to create addons - apparently easier to do too (?).

Scenery uses Bing

Like these quotes:

“That’s just the way it is. I think there is a true love in Microsoft for Flight Sim, and maybe it’s subconscious, but it is who we are. It is in the fiber of the company’s being. It is older than Windows. I think there is a pride that comes with it, and I think seeing it come back in a meaningful way, I think makes lots of people proud.”

"Microsoft is incorporating a legacy mode that it expects will provide near-complete backward compatibility, so those of us who have huge libraries of old favorites won’t be starting entirely from scratch ....... In other news for add-on aircraft builders, every parameter is now exposed in plain text, with no more binaries. This means it’s going to be easier than ever to create high-quality add-on aircraft, or to tinker with the ones you already have. For those who like emulating glass cockpits, those displays are fully programmable based on straightforward coding instead of a library of animations, and support things like touch screens and synthetic vision. "
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 am

My biggest concern is all of the payware aircraft and scenery I have. I would hate to have to buy another license other than that it looks promising. <<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 am

On the positive side, there's a good chance for most of your sceneries to become totally useless for the new sim, given how the default world looks like :)
But sceneries like custom airports might still be useful, in some cases.
For the planes, despite what they said, I'm not so optimistic. Maybe some might work, but the thing is: most complex addons use complex gauges, systems and external modules (DLLs) that will probably not be compatible.
Simple planes like freewares might port more easilly, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort ? The contrast with the very high quality of the default planes might be cruel in some cases...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiger1962 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:22 am

Daube wrote:For the planes, despite what they said, I'm not so optimistic. Maybe some might work, but the thing is: most complex addons use complex gauges, systems and external modules (DLLs) that will probably not be compatible.

They've mentioned a Legacy Mode, if the new MSFS is 64 bit then the Legacy Mode would be 32 bit, so the older add-ons will work. Whether all of the other features in the 64 bit sim will work in the Legacy Mode remains to be seen...
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 am

All this worrying whether old product will still work is moot imo. Many if not most will have to do some serious upgrading of our PC's to run this satisfactorily. Just remember how optimistic MS have always been when they quote specs. So why not just deal with it as a brand new sim ignore the MS ownership and enjoy it. FSX will continue as a viable product for some time yet.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:58 pm

I would not put much faith with perfect backwards compatibility.
The flight models, we are told, are super advanced. The FSX planes, we are told, have a single flight model point, whereas the new sim's planes have 1000 per contact surface, so, when flying thru clouds, & 1 wing is in the cloud, that force will react on the plane. Same with stalls, when a part of a wing can stall first, instead of the whole FSX plane.

So, I'd rather regard it as a TOTALLY new sim, & keep my old planes where they belong.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 am

Tiger1962 wrote:
Daube wrote:For the planes, despite what they said, I'm not so optimistic. Maybe some might work, but the thing is: most complex addons use complex gauges, systems and external modules (DLLs) that will probably not be compatible.

They've mentioned a Legacy Mode, if the new MSFS is 64 bit then the Legacy Mode would be 32 bit, so the older add-ons will work. Whether all of the other features in the 64 bit sim will work in the Legacy Mode remains to be seen...

The legacy mode is not about 32 bits. A 64 bits sim is not going to run any 32 bits gauge at all. This is already visible with Prepar3Dv4.
The legacy mode they mentioned is purely about the flight model, where a plane created for FSX will fly like in FSX, without benefiting from the new flight model techniques of the new sim.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:43 am

Canuck1955 wrote:All this worrying whether old product will still work is moot imo. Many if not most will have to do some serious upgrading of our PC's to run this satisfactorily. Just remember how optimistic MS have always been when they quote specs. So why not just deal with it as a brand new sim ignore the MS ownership and enjoy it. FSX will continue as a viable product for some time yet.

The testers reported very good results (more than 40 FPS) at full graphical setting with computers equiped with I7 8700K CPUs and RTX2080ti GPUs, with 4K screen resolution.
Since the new sim will not use RayTracing technology, it will not be mandatory to use a RTX video card. Then, a GTX might give good results in FullHD already.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Roypcox » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 am

I sure hope so Daube!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Time to start saving up those pennies.
Many a mickle makes a muckle :lol:
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby EVVFCX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi all,

Interesting if videos are being put on youtube because the agreement with Microsoft in taking part in testing is to NOT put any videos or screen shots anywhere online.

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby B0ikat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm

EVVFCX wrote:Hi all,

Interesting if videos are being put on youtube because the agreement with Microsoft in taking part in testing is to NOT put any videos or screen shots anywhere online.

regards

Steve

These aren't videos from the alpha testing (or beta, even), but appear to be promo's from MS that were provided to invite-only previewers.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:56 am

I am not to concerned about upgrading as I did that a while back While my video card does not compare to the RTX card But I do not think that there are any that do because of the ray tracing that is what sets this card apart from all others. But I have so much other payware things like Active Sky and Active Sky cloud Art. I do not see how any of these will work in a different sim which means you will have to purchase another license.
Now so far the places I get my payware from has offered discounts which does help offset some of the cost but it still means more $$$$$ and right now I just can not do that.
so I plan on trying to put some $$$ away so I can get one of these cards.

the link below is about the cheapest I have seen so far for a RTX based card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=8754
<<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zeus981 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:08 am

Does anyone know what the story is about purchasing FS 2020 as opposed to paying a monthly fee to download data and fly .. I suspect the latter is to be the case.
zeus981
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020