HELP

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

HELP

Postby Heinz57 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:31 pm

Help!!!!! I have just come out of a 5 month hospitalization, and I'm afraid I have forgotten most of my MSFS log-in and log-out procedures. I used to be an avid simmer, but I'm now relegated to barely getting past all the updates I missed by being in the hospital. Can anyone help me log on properly and do the same for logging off so I don't have to futz with all the error messages fumbling around the way I'm doing right now? I am sure I will have even more questions later on, but right now I would be ecstatic if someone could help me with this problem. Thanks.
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: HELP

Postby Sinkrate » Fri May 13, 2022 2:16 am

Logon should be automatic when you click on the MSFS shortcut it goes to your Xbox account and logs you on from there. You might need to download a new version of Xbox to make it work again. They changed it just to wind you up. Don’t let them get the better of you; just take a Valium and chill out or you could find yourself back in hospital. Personally, I wouldn’t waste too much time on the pig; just dump it and get yourself a copy of X-plane11 or go back to FSX!

I think if you could be a bit more specific about the error messages you keep getting, someone might be able to give you some more useful guidance.

Good luck!
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Fri May 13, 2022 4:54 am

Don't worry, there's nothing complex.
You just need to ensure you perform the necessary steps in the correct order.

1- First of all, since you've been away from your computer since quite a long period, you should ensure your Windows apps are still up to date. To do so, you need to go to your start menu and launch the "Microsoft Store" application. In there, go to your 'library" (button on the bottom left of the window) and push the button on the top right to trigger the search and download of updates. It might download a lot of things, so be patient and wait for it to complete. You might even want to reboot your computer once it's done.

2- You need to ensure you are still logged on to the Microsoft XBox network. To do so, go to your start menu, search for the application that is called "XBox" (a green icon with a white circle and green X inside) and launch it. When it appears, check if you are logged in with your Microsoft live account (it should show it in the top left corner). If not, log in. You can then close that window, the XBox app will remain active, showing a small black&white X icon next to the clock in the Windows taskbar.

3- If you have bought MSFS on Steam, you should launch Steam and let it download the update(s) for the MSFS launcher. If you have bought it on the MS Store instead, I guess the step1 might have done the trick already.

4- Launch MSFS. If needed, it will ask you to log in to your MS Live/XBox account, like in step 2 above. Then it will proceed loading and it will start to download the updates you're missing. At that step, ENSURE THE PROPOSED INSTALLATION PATH IS CORRECT ! Else it will not find your original files and it will then redownload everything...

That's it.
Ah, also, there is not "logout" thing necessary here. You never need to log out MSFS. You can just close the sim (ALT+F4 works well too :) ).
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Heinz57 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:54 pm

Thanks for the info, Daube. I have another couple of questions for you:
1. When I'm flying, how do I return to the entry screen with the globe of the world on it?
2. How do I return to the screen where you have the option to quit to the desktop?
3. Where can I find all the tutorial clips that got me addicted to the new MSFS in the first place? (I've been addicted to it since it was Bruce Artwick (or Artwig) back in the dark ages) I especially need the episode where they describe how the cameras can be employed.
That'll do for now. Suffice it to say that this program has gone a long way to helping me in my rehabilitation from my long hospital stay, and I look forward to your (or any) reply.

Heinz L. Knoedler
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Heinz57 wrote:Thanks for the info, Daube. I have another couple of questions for you:
1. When I'm flying, how do I return to the entry screen with the globe of the world on it?

You press the Escape key on your keyboard, and at the bottom of the screen you have a choice to return to the main menu.

2. How do I return to the screen where you have the option to quit to the desktop?

You can quit to desktop at any time, either by pressing ALT+F4, or by pressing the Escape key and use the menus at the bottom, or by clicking on the cross to close the MSFS window (if you are in windowed mode, not in full screen).
ALT+F4 is probably the easiest and fastest choice.

3. Where can I find all the tutorial clips that got me addicted to the new MSFS in the first place? (I've been addicted to it since it was Bruce Artwick (or Artwig) back in the dark ages) I especially need the episode where they describe how the cameras can be employed.
That'll do for now. Suffice it to say that this program has gone a long way to helping me in my rehabilitation from my long hospital stay, and I look forward to your (or any) reply.

Heinz L. Knoedler

Ah sorry I don't remember about these. Maybe another member can post the links here ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Heinz57 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:01 pm

Thanks again , Daube. Another question: Downloading stuff from Simviation: how do I do that?
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:18 am

By going to the "files" part of Simviation (as opposed to the "forums" part which is here): https://simviation.com/1/front-page
You can browse and download addons for the various simulators, including MSFS.
When you download an addon, you get a ZIP file that you need to unpack using a dedicated program (7zip, Winrar, etc...).
You obtain a folder that you need to drag and drop into your MSFS "Community" folder, where all addons are supposed to be dropped.
Then you can start the sim, your addon should be visible inside.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Heinz57 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:08 pm

note for the design team: on the Lufthansa livery for the Boeing 737 Max: on the tail, inside the yellow roundel which contains the Kranich, you forgot the blue circle, about two inches - maybe less - wide, on the real plane there is a blue circle that surrounds the Kranich. It just doesn't look right without that blue circle. You might consider an update. I've been flying Lufthansa for years at least since 1062, and I've always liked the Lufthansa Livery, but nothing more than I liked the blue band that changes to a yellow band with the Kranich in the center as shown on the 707-036 and 727-036 tail liveries in the 60s.
e
Heinz57
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020