Surely not?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Surely not?

Postby striker » Mon May 24, 2021 10:29 am

Why has this happened? Just went to fire it up again and .........

I know they make you download huge files before you can 'play. But 78GB? Is this for real? :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand:

striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Surely not?

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Rule of thumb - Don't buy Beta programs.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Tue May 25, 2021 3:58 am

Oh yes; it’s true alright! You’d better get used to it if you want to continue using FS2020!

As for being a “beta” product, it was marketed as a finished product and priced accordingly. There was no mention of it being work in progress in the advert when I bought it!

This wouldn’t be so bad if updates were optional or if the program could still be used whilst updates are being downloaded. Unfortunately, that is not the case; they force you to download updates, as the program cannot be started without the online update check. :evil:

Alternatively, you could just dump it and get X-plane 11. The scenery is not as dense, but as far as I’m concerned, there is no point in having lots of scenery if it’s not realistic. Most of the scenery in FS2020 is just a generic splurge which bears no resemblance to reality. The main selling point is that you can download actual scenery in real time as you are flying – oh yeah, if your internet connection is fast enough! Those of us in the third world, with hard wired adsl connections, just have to put up with the default crap! :twisted:
This may sound like a rant, and by golly it is! :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:

Sorry. :shifty:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 am

I just launched it a few seconds ago and there was no update at all.
Before launching, as usual I went to the Microsoft Store application and forced the search for updates, it downloaded three, one of which was the XBox app.
Then I checked in Steam, and there were no recent updates or available downloads for MSFS.
Finally I launched the sim, and it went through the "checking for updates" loading screen as usual, but didn't report any updates.

My guess is that the launcher couldn't find your MSFS files on your computer. Did you happen to move them to some other folder perhaps ?
Is that path correct on your screenshot ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am

Sinkrate wrote:Oh yes; it’s true alright! You’d better get used to it if you want to continue using FS2020!

As for being a “beta” product, it was marketed as a finished product and priced accordingly. There was no mention of it being work in progress in the advert when I bought it!

This wouldn’t be so bad if updates were optional or if the program could still be used whilst updates are being downloaded. Unfortunately, that is not the case; they force you to download updates, as the program cannot be started without the online update check. :evil:

Well, they didn't force you to buy it, and it was clearly advertised as a program to be used online, with some recommendations regarding the necessary bandwith.
If you knew your online connection was bad, then MSFS was not the right choice from the start...

Alternatively, you could just dump it and get X-plane 11.

Yes, XP11 or P3Dv5...

The scenery is not as dense, but as far as I’m concerned, there is no point in having lots of scenery if it’s not realistic. Most of the scenery in FS2020 is just a generic splurge which bears no resemblance to reality. The main selling point is that you can download actual scenery in real time as you are flying – oh yeah, if your internet connection is fast enough! Those of us in the third world, with hard wired adsl connections, just have to put up with the default crap! :twisted:
This may sound like a rant, and by golly it is! :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:

Sorry. :shifty:

Your rant is justified and understandable.
However, you also have a very nice option that allows you to predownload a certain area (aka "pre-cache" or something like that).
If you fly always in the same place, you can benefit from the beauty of MSFS photorealistic areas using that method, for example by triggering the download during your absence.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EVVFCX » Thu May 27, 2021 8:12 am

Hi,

Not been online for a few days but have to comment about the update file size.
The update size used to be around 170GB and they did announce that in future the file size would be greatly reduced.
This update IV has been coming up on my startup screen for a few months, glad they have got around to releasing it.

For me to find that the airports I fly from look real on FS2020 is a bonus, I'm not that bothered about the 'eye candy' side of scenery.
As long as it brings back memories of flying for me then it will suffice.

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Fri May 28, 2021 9:53 am

I think the 170 GB refer to the original install package, not an update.

Concerning the sim update 4, I have just triggered it. I had to download a few hundreds MB from Steam to update the launcher.
After that, I launched the game, and the "verifying updates" screen appeared, loaded for a while, and finally indicated I have 3.45 GB to download.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Kabers » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I bought a new ssd for this :D https://twojfilm.online/
Kabers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby KayBur » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:44 am

Daube wrote:I think the 170 GB refer to the original install package, not an update.

Concerning the sim update 4, I have just triggered it. I had to download a few hundreds MB from Steam to update the launcher.
After that, I launched the game, and the "verifying updates" screen appeared, loaded for a while, and finally indicated I have 3.45 GB to download.

Sometimes it is easier to completely uninstall an application and reinstall it, because out-of-date data packages and files may remain on disk.
KayBur
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020