P3D v6?

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

P3D v6?

Postby wildpilot » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:10 am

Anyone know if there will be a v6?

Having 'played' MSFS2020 I realise it is, whatever others say, basically more game than sim. Why? Many examples, one -- in real life you simply cannot land an airliner on a tight turn into finals and with no training and a ton of practice. In MSFS2020 it's easy as pie 1st time!! Fantastic scenery, HD game graphics and that is it's biggest draw. I guess you CAN probably tune it to a more realistic real flight experience.

But IMHO P3D is basically the best 'simulator' out there but with the big shortfall of ground scenery. I know many add purchased scenery but that's not for me. My budget is too tight for that. Because once you start spending you never stop. (That's another things MSFS2020 is trying to do :D )

P3D4+ is a very refined version of FSX with smoothed out, efficient, modernised coding and most of the bugs ironed out. I know it's not aimed at the casual user. It's aimed at the the professional market.

But it would be my dream to have a P3D v6 with a realistic earth imagery. But Google is a big time money maker and is exploiting it's monopolies to the extreme, such as Google Earth. So no way will you get GE scenery without paying a licence I would guess and that will probably be ongoing. Like the right to use GE for a fee. That's if it even gets that far!

Anyone heard anything?
wildpilot
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: P3D v6?

Postby Daube » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:35 am

wildpilot wrote:Anyone know if there will be a v6?

At this point, nobody knows if there will ever be a v6.
On the various P3D-related forums, people are expecting some update because the last one came in around 6 months ago. The current version 5.3 seems stable, but the complete lack of nice weather rendition, despite the introduction of the new cloud technology in v5, makes me think LM should first finish the v5 before trying to output a v6...

Having 'played' MSFS2020 I realise it is, whatever others say, basically more game than sim. Why? Many examples, one -- in real life you simply cannot land an airliner on a tight turn into finals and with no training and a ton of practice. In MSFS2020 it's easy as pie 1st time!! Fantastic scenery, HD game graphics and that is it's biggest draw. I guess you CAN probably tune it to a more realistic real flight experience.

The situation you described is just as easy in P3D and XPlane 11. So I guess P3D and Xplane are more game than simulators, according to your logic, right ? :)

But IMHO P3D is basically the best 'simulator' out there but with the big shortfall of ground scenery. I know many add purchased scenery but that's not for me. My budget is too tight for that. Because once you start spending you never stop. (That's another things MSFS2020 is trying to do :D )

Indeed the scenery in P3D is quite disappointing, including from a performance-perspective. XPlane is much better in that aspect.
Now when it comes to flight models, it's quite hard to tell which one is the best. All of them have their strong and weak points. However I know for sure I could never manage to gain altitude during a stall/spin in MSFS or in XPlane. This was only possible in FSX and P3D :)

P3D4+ is a very refined version of FSX with smoothed out, efficient, modernised coding and most of the bugs ironed out. I know it's not aimed at the casual user. It's aimed at the the professional market.

But it would be my dream to have a P3D v6 with a realistic earth imagery. But Google is a big time money maker and is exploiting it's monopolies to the extreme, such as Google Earth. So no way will you get GE scenery without paying a licence I would guess and that will probably be ongoing. Like the right to use GE for a fee. That's if it even gets that far!

Anyone heard anything?

I don't think you'll ever get streamed scenery in P3D, and surely not the refined one you get in MSFS, with smoothed out terrain tiles textures, and harmonized autogen etc...
You can get payware photosceneries like OrbX TrueEarth, but I really hope they improved the performance for scenery rendering in v5, because such sceneries in v4 were just a nightmare for my computer back when I tried them :/
In any case, there's probably a higher chance to see such a feature appear in XPlane than in P3D.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cevans » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:04 am

P3Dv5 is still my fav FS and 've tried them all. We will see as time goes on how things progress. Personally I would love to see P3D as ongoing.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:16 am

I would love as well. I stopped at v4 because I don't like (for now) the strange colors of the v5 as well as the current implementation of the clouds. But if LM could fix these two aspects, then I would probably try the new version... may it be v5.4 or v6...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D