Laptop: Will P3D be acceptable?

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Laptop: Will P3D be acceptable?

Postby imchief » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am

Hello all,

It has been a few years since I have been on here but I have a question about running P3D. I have been a long-time user of FS9 and had multitudes of add-ons that suited me. I never had a machine that could run FSX well enough so I just stuck with FS9. Last year my 2005 desktop finally crashed. (don't hate. I'm cheap) Anyway, I am planning to build another top end desktop once I have a place I can set it up. (currently, the office has become the gym) In the interim I bought an MSI gaming laptop off of craigslist last year for $500 that is pretty good but i don't know if I would be happy with P3D running on it and I don't want to fork out $200 and not be satisfied. I ran into that issue with FSX. My last laptop could run it but I had to keep settings down and it would still stutter etc. So I uninstalled and just stuck with FS9 on my old desktop. The specs on the "new" Laptop are i7 6700, 16GB DDR5, GTX 960, 1TB HDD. I plan on buying many scenery add-ons and I know that helps with the overall look of the sim. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe
imchief
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Laptop: Will P3D be acceptable?

Postby papituwall » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm

It's difficult to say how P3D V4 will work in a laptop (or other PC) but the specs of yours look enough to run the program with medium settings. A SSD had better than a HDD mainly shortening load times.

Concerning your interest of addon scenery, here at Simviation you'll find lots of scenery and airports that wont kill your laptop.
To change the natural environment of the sim search for ALeclercq Terra Emergency Project.
This is not a payware site but I can not deny that ORBX FTX Global Base will improve the sim and Terra Emergency compatible. ORBX FTX Vector is good but can kill your Laptop, Ultimate Terrain is lighter and in spite of less accurate in geographic terrain is more accurate in roads and rivers and won't kill your PC.
Before buying an Airport check before here at Simviation for free ones including some demos more suited to a laptop.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Re: Laptop: Will P3D be acceptable?

Postby imchief » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I have been a member of SimV for years and have got many add-ons from here. I have never bought any scenery because the quality here was awesome. I have bought a few airplanes, (Aerowox B-200, Feelthere Caravan, Digital Aviation Cheyenne) mainly for the realism and systems emulation. The majority of my airplanes did come from here, however. Thank you again for the response.
imchief
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D