UPDATE PREPAR 3D V4.2

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Re: UPDATE PREPAR 3D V4.2

Postby Daube » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:31 am

pete wrote:This is fast turning into a thread on payware rather than P3D 4.2

I would like to know about problems with freeware addons. If any. Simviation is a site that is focussed on freeware.

Yes, but payware are also very important.
Freeware aircrafts are less complex, thus less prone to problems. Freeware aircrafts that worked correctly in P3Dv4.0 will work properly in 4.2.
Only complex gauges and modules can be impacted by the updates.

I have downloaded 4.2 and tried to install in a different folder - thereby keeping 4.1 (which I love and don't want to lose)

However so far not working as it seems not to want to have 2 installs of V4 on the same pc ......... so though I have 'installed' 4.2 - there seems to be no way to run it and the version on my machine is still v4.1 ....
There is also no option to uininstall only 4.2 - only uninstall v4 which will probably uninstall 4.1 which is the last thing I want to do :doh:

Not the end of the world as I am quite happy to stick with 4.1 for the time being - it has huge potential in itself and I have very few bugs noticed.

I think you didn't understand how P3D updates work and you are trying unecessary complex techniques. ;)
You simply need to uninstall the client part of P3Dv4.
So if you are using P3Dv4.1 and you want to try P3Dv4.2, just uninstall the P3Dv4.1 client and install the P3Dv4.2 client.
If you want to revert back to P3Dv4.1, just uninstall the P3Dv4.2 client and install the P3Dv4.1 client instead.
Both operations should take something like 1 minute each, including the activation process ;)

In any case, you do not need to go through a complete sim uninstall/reinstall.
The "Client" is the only thing you want to update.
Ah, ok, if you want the new aircrafts and effects, you might also want to update the "content" part, which is a bit more heavy (but same process).
In my case, I have not updated the content or the scenery when I switched from P3Dv4.0 to P3Dv4.1, for example. I only updated the client and that's all.

EDIT: after a client update, I'd recommend you to delete the generated shaders too, just in case. I don't think it's done automatically, but I might be wrong.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 am

Well, I just spent the last 30 minutes typing a well written reply to that , and providing links and everything

only to have this site TIME me out and erase the entire REPLY I was typing

Gone erased

So, I will NOT be typing it again :twisted:

There will be NO Reply from me on this !!

This thread was started to keep everybody informed, rather payware or freeware.

BE INFORMED , RESEARCH , don't ASSUME !!

lotta simmers have a great deal of $$$$$ invested in their hobby as well as Freeware Developers and payware Developers

everybody needs to be informed of the TRUTH & FACTS , NOT just "HYPE", like that Disastrous Microsoft FLIGHT a few years ago which failed miserably !!!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 am

Simmers that have spent lots of money in FSX NATIVE addons should keep them in FSX. It is a very good simulator and won't be subject to updates.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm

papituwall wrote:Simmers that have spent lots of money in FSX NATIVE addons should keep them in FSX. It is a very good simulator and won't be subject to updates.

Sorry but I disagree :)
Some people (like myself :P ) have invested much money in FSX native addons that they can't use properly because of performance or memory problems that can impact FSX.
In most cases, these addons can work without issues in P3Dv4.
Some addons that didn't work properly have been updated to newer-P3Dv4 compatible formats for free.
Some addons have not been converted at all and they have to be bought again.
I can now use all of my addons (well, excepted one because it's too heavy for my old computer, both on P3D or FSX) without fearing simulator crashes, and enjoy them in a beautiful flying environment with lots of distant autogen and excellent shadows and more. <<q
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm

DAUBE

"I can now use all of my addons (well, excepted one because it's too heavy for my old computer, both on P3D or FSX) without fearing simulator crashes, and enjoy them in a beautiful flying environment with lots of distant autogen and excellent shadows and more.

Would you care to "LIST" those Add Ons, specifically ??? and not just generalize them into 1 category , so other users can compare !!!!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:59 pm

More information, for those who have LHC / Lionheart Creations (Bill Ortis) Aircraft ,,,

Directly from the LHC Web site as of 2/15/2018

Some Aircraft will NOT work as of yet in PREPAR3D 4.2

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Here the actual Product page of Captain Sims that lists whats actually compatible wiith the new version of PREPAR 3D and which Aircraft are NOT ,,,

Ones that are NOT yet compatible

L-1011

C-130

STAR FIGHTER

Weapons

Weather Radar utility

Captain Sim product web page : https://captainsim.com/store/
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 pm

FS LABS - CONCORDE FOR FSX Posts this on their web site

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm

BINGO and now the FACTS come out !!!!

as recently posted by PMDG's RS RANDAZZO he has posted the following on the PREPAR V4.2 Problems & issues !!

Simply put - more Bluntly LHM / Lockheed Martin screwed up Big Time !!!

even with PMDG and other Developers , both Payware & Freeware

Lets look at what Mr. PMDG RS RANDAZZO has to say about this Fiasco !!!

LINK : https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/531315-15feb18-updated-information-for-users-experiencing-trouble-with-prepar3d-v42/

Captains,

As I posted late last night, it appears that some changes were made to the final release version of the "update to Prepar3D v4.2" that ""were not part"" of the versions giving to the testing community at large, and these changes have had an "unusual impact on the PMDG 747-400 in particular".

By way of making sure we are all talking about the same thing:

Users of our PMDG 747-400 have been reporting that "after updating to P3D v4.2", it was "not possible to use the 747-400" unless first entering the sim using one of the default aircraft.

We have determined what causes this and we are in the process of testing a "prototype fix" to eliminate the issue for P3D v4.2 users.

I don't want to go into too much detail at this point, but it does appear to be something "Lockheed Martin decided to change" that is "not documented in the SDK".

We will take it up with them, as the change will have a "long term effect on users of products like FS2Crew", and as such it probably needs to be addressed by Lockheed Martin long term.

In the mean time, give us a bit of time to validate these tests and once we are comfortable that we aren't "breaking anything else" in order to fix this- we will push the update to you via our auto-updater. I will also post an announcement about it here as well.

ADDITIONAL VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

A few folks in the another thread mentioned that they were seeing problems in other PMDG products.

We have not seen any verifiable reports that could be duplicated for problems in other products but you are welcome to report them to our support team if needed.

I would also like to remind everyone that we have many tens of thousands of customer data points that we work with community-wide, so it is VERY easy for us to spot actual problems and separate them from problems that single users see that are not necessarily indicative of a problem with our products.

So please: during the complex process of upgrading a sim platform, please keep in mind that many other things you have installed (FSIUPC makes a great example in this case) might need an update from a developer and "cause wide ranging problems" that are hard to pin down.

Please take the time to remove things and reinstall them in an organized fashion and you will likely find the hassles can be minimized for everyone involved- and you will help to provide the community as a whole more valid data than simple jumping up and down on whatever product you happened to be trying to use when the sim acted wonky. :ph34r:

As is always the case- if/when we find a problem in compatibility between the constantly evolving P3D v4 and our products that can be verified and traced- we will fix it.

I hope we will push this "hot-fix" to you all during the day Thursday. Stay tuned!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby qwer0110 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Really new 64 bit Sim? Then maybe nothing should be compatible

gclub
qwer0110
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Prepar3D