Prepared for Prepar3D ??

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Prepared for Prepar3D ??

Postby New Light » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 pm

What's the deal with Prepar3D? It sounds like they want to sell some type of hard-core, special ops pilot training program, but they're advertizing and selling stuff on all of the "basic, run-of-the-mill" flight sim sites and forums. I'm not a gamer, but not a pilot either. I can "fly" the A2A Piper Cub fairly well, and I can navigate the default Cessna Skyhawk with steam gauges or a glass panel, but I'm definitely not ready for submarine or astronaut training. So, Am I prepared for Prepar3D?? Are these guys going to send the FBI or FAA over to inspect my "training facility"?

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Prepared for Prepar3D ??

Postby ftldave » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Discussions about this usually end badly with arguments, locked threads, and moderator intervention. You won't find much agreement in the flightsim community about "what is going on" with the state of Lockheed-Martin's training software. That said, I'm a hobbyist, and I use FSX for fun and recreation. And I purchase from third-party vendors who sell FSX aircraft, scenery, and utility software.

Best thing to do is read the P3D EULA, read the words - what it actually says, and then decide for yourself what is going on.

ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 am

I DID read the EULA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought I was about to sign up for the military, major surgery, or a skydiving, scuba diving, or motorcycle riding course. Then I'm also considering all the dumb comments I've read and dumb things I've seen done on YouTube by P3D users :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that I think about, I HAVE BEEN developing some basic IFR skills over the last few years... A2A aircraft have been keeping me really honest too - I guess I AM a student... I'll think about it...

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am

To look at it another way I'm sure Lockheed-Martin will be happy to accept your money just as well as everyone else they have sold it to.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby pete » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 am

Like a lot of things in life. If no one is hurt, nothing is disturbed, and the way is open. Just get on with it and don't get stuck on what the lawyers got paid to write.

If you actually look deeply into a lot of things in life you probably would end up a shivering wreck who becomes a paranoid hermit.
Ask too many questions and you will run the risk of P3D being ruined for all of us. It's the best flight sim created.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ftldave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 am

pete wrote:It's the best flight sim created.

But too bad it wasn't created for hobbyists, for fun, and for recreation. I often wonder if the Internet and its "I want it, I'll get it" culture has had an effect on hobbyists in this situation. Anyway, I read the words, I work in IT, and I abide by what the software publisher, Lockheed-Martin, says.

I think Speak-No-Evil is the right monkey for "don't ask too many questions", right? :lol:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 am

Well said Pete!!!
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Very good input. I wasn't trying to stir anything up. I was just shopping around for another simulator. Their up-front, tough legal language just caught me off guard. I understand wanting to keep nitwits away in places like Pilot Edge or Vatsim, where you want people to be as professional as possible, but to draw up legally binding documentation to buy their product ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like some of you said, "do they want my money or not?"...

Thanks guys!

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Five points.

1) For most people, the Academic License, will give you everything that you need.

2) Reading the EULA, it makes it VERY clear that it is sold ONLY for "Educational Purposes", and IS NOT for "Entertainment uses". My "Educational Purposes" is to learn, and practice, aerial navigation. But so long as you can use it to learn SOMETHING, it is legal to use.

3) Reading the EULA, it makes it VERY clear that you DO NOT need to use it in a formal (paid course) classroom, and that YOU CAN use it in your home.

4) PLEASE, no not go on their website asking dumb beginners' questions. It's incredible how dumb the questions are on how to "Use this game". There are other places to look for help.

5) It's now a 64bit program. A lot of great 32bit FSX software will not work with the new version, and never will. The amount of NEW software is getting better, slowly. But you need to know this before you buy Prepar3d V4.x. Think of it as an investment in the future of flight sims.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby New Light » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks OldAirmail. Some of what I'm looking at is how much I can cross over. I bought XP11, but they're still working on AI traffic, ATC, and basic parking at regional and smaller airports. Their system of plugins and editors will take a nice chunk of time to learn also. They have just sorted out some issues with Saitek products also. So I've put XP11 away for the foreseeable future. FSX Steam seems like it would use a lot of my payware and work a bit better for $12 (on sale). Even though FSW is $12, I'm not sure if it's worth the time. P3D will run some of my payware and still bump me into a 64 bit program. $60 isn't bad considering I've spent around $10k in hardware and software, plus k's of hours tinkering on FS9 and FSX. So, yeah, I'm learning A LOT... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am

New Light wrote:Thanks OldAirmail. Some of what I'm looking at is how much I can cross over. I bought XP11, but they're still working on AI traffic, ATC, and basic parking at regional and smaller airports. Their system of plugins and editors will take a nice chunk of time to learn also. They have just sorted out some issues with Saitek products also. So I've put XP11 away for the foreseeable future. FSX Steam seems like it would use a lot of my payware and work a bit better for $12 (on sale). Even though FSW is $12, I'm not sure if it's worth the time. P3D will run some of my payware and still bump me into a 64 bit program. $60 isn't bad considering I've spent around $10k in hardware and software, plus k's of hours tinkering on FS9 and FSX. So, yeah, I'm learning A LOT... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

I've tried the X-Plane software and prefer the FSX system, along with all of the payware & freeware support.

One other thing to understand is that Prepar3d is being developed for professional & military training. That development should take the software to new heights.

On the other hand, you won't get the full capabilities without a pretty good system - read maxed out. Reducing the settings will let you use an average computer. And while it will work on a laptop, that will never get you you the full capabilities.

"...I've spent around $10k in hardware and software..."

You might want to look into SPAD.neXt.

It's still being developed, but can already do just about anything that you'd want. It also works with almost all of the high end hardware & aircraft, including A2A. Many things that aren't possible with the hardware drivers that you're using now are child's play with SPAD.neXt.

Want to turn a button into a switch - no problem. Want to assign multiple functions to a button - just select "short" or "long" press to that button, and then select a command for each one.

As far as I know, ANY flight sim commands can be assigned to just about any hardware.

It's evolving so fast that there is no user manual, but once you learn the interface the vast majority of uses are pretty simple. See my simple Text to Speech tutorial
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby New Light » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for the lead on SpadNext. I've seen it mentioned but will look into it further.

As far as systems are concerned, I priced out an Alienware pc with an 8 core processor, with 128Gs memory, with 3 8G vid cards (1080s) and the rest of the trimmings for right at $5k. Then my wife ordered me a pc with a 4 core (i7 7700 ?) 3.?? processor, 32Gs mem with an 8G 1080 for $1,200. It's way better than what I have now, and should arrive today. I'll figure out if I'll keep it and upgrade the memory and add vid cards later. I'm not sure how far 4 cores will go with a 64 bit program regardless if it's XP11 or P3D. FSX should run like a rocket though...

I've reviewed the P3D site a couple of more times since my initial post here. Once you get past the bravado, it's a training software program - I am/have been training and practicing my piloting skills in as much of a professional manner as possible. What threw me off was that I enjoy learning. Learning IS entertaining to me no matter if it's serious as diving a rebreather, using an oxygen bottle for a jump, or making an 800m shot. My wife with attest to the fact of how angry I get when I mess up flying on a simulator or a dive student does something life/health threatening. Thanks for all of the great input!

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Sounds like you'll be fine with Prepar3d V4.

P3d will be able to use a lot of memory and may use most of the cores that are available. Interestingly, V4 (the 64bit program) will also use any extra video card GPU & memory, so the more the better.

I have New York City X and NY Airports X. New York City X would crash FSX within a minute. With Prepar3d V4.x - no problem with everything maxed out.

Yeah, no more crash to desktop on long flights. :dance:

P3d has VR built into it for the Oculus Rift & HTC Vive, if that's of any interest to you. Me, I'm happy with TrackIR because I have so many switches to use. I like to start with a cold aircraft, and for me, nothing beats actual switches & buttons.

"Learning IS entertaining to me..."

The same here.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby New Light » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Yeah, P3D looks rather nice. I see that Carenado has made their C152, C172N and Archer P3D compatible/available from previous purchases and F1's GNS, GTNs and UTX products are compatible across the board also. I'm sure Flight 1 and Carenado will continue to provide crossover for the rest of their products at some point. Most of REX's stuff transfers also which is nice too! Hmmm, I think I made up my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't gotten a Track IR yet. Currently, I have a 2012 i7 2.67 GHz processor, 8Gs mem, w 1G NVidia 530 that has trouble keeping up with UTX, GEX and REX, so I haven't wanted to push it any harder. The Track IR 5 is on my list of stuff to buy next year. I usually fly low & slow along I-10 from Pensacola to central Texas then along the Rio Grande N/S and then follow I-35N/S or I-20E/W and sometimes flying by Gulfport or Baton Rouge will crash the pc :lol: :evil: :lol: :evil: I don't have to worry about flying over New Orleans, Houston or Dallas - not that they would let a Cub or 152 in their airspace anyway... :| :P :| :P

VR is very interesting, but as you mentioned, there are a lot of buttons to press, knobs to turn and I still have to click on some things. I'll probably go with Track IR5 fairly soon.

Speaking of which, I haven't noticed anyone talking to ATC on P3D You Tube videos. Is there an ATC and AI traffic? I see the airports have taxiways, parking and look nice generally, unlike XP11.

Thanks,

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am

Well, apparently, I AM Prepar3D! I just finished my first circuit in the Maule Orion. It was a perfect 3 point landing just above stall speed! I definitely need a new pc though... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Prepar3D