Need assistance

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Need assistance

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I recently upgraded from FSX to P3Dv4. Unfortunately I can't seem to get one of my favorite freeware planes to function. https://simviation.com/1/download?file=PV2_Harpoon_Pine_Island.zip&fileId=49331 here on Simviation. That's the repaint for the Harpoon PV2 file.
It seems to be strictly a graphical issue with the textures. Everything else seems to work, but the plane is invisible. I have tried everything within my limited knowledge playing around with the textures and trying different formats, no luck.

If someone has the time to take a look and even provide some detail as to what I can do it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nick
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Need assistance

Postby pete » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 am

Hi Nick and welcome.

The biggest obvious difference between P3D v4 and FSX or P3D v3 is that V4 will only run FSX Native models.

You can see the version of the aircraft model by opening the 'model'folder and then open the ****.mdl file with notepad (right click - open with notepad). It can take a bit to open depending on the filesize.

Look at the 1st line in the code - you will see these digits:

MDL8MDLH = This is originally a FS2004 model and will work in FSX and P3D up to V3.*

or

MDLXMDLH = This is what is termed 'FSX native' and will work in FSX all the way up P3D v4.*

The original PV-2 Harpoon is not an FSX native model and will not work in P3Dv4.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:34 am

Thank you for your reply Pete. It gets a little confusing with all of the prior port overs, but you simplified it perfectly. I'll know where to look to start with now. I truly hate to put that one to rest, but after using P3D v4 for many hours now, there is no going back for me. The performance boost is too great.

The PV-2 Harpoon was a work of art as far as freeware goes. My hats off to the developer, but I still have my little Lockheed L10E and am having a blast with it.
Nick
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 pm

The Harpoon was designed by Milton Shupe who is a gem in the world of FS.
He may well make a FSX native updated version of the Harpoon ---- you never know! For great stuff that does work in P3Dv4 -- most of his latest stuff is FSX native and works fine -- I fly a lot of them! O0
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Prepar3D