4.1 upgrade problem

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

4.1 upgrade problem

Postby pete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 am

Trying to upgrade to v4.1 from v4

Unzip- then -
Click on Setup_Prepar3D.exe - this is what I see

>>>Or -- Do you have to uninstall v4 1st?

Goes through

&

Next start P3d and see

Wonder what I am doing wrong ... ??
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 4.1 upgrade problem

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 am

You're simply doing it wrong :)
Since P3D version 3, the way to "update" your P3D is very simple: you just need to uninstall the part of P3D you want to update, and install the new one instead.
By "part of P3D", I mean "client", "content" or "scenery".

I suppose you wanted to update your P3D v4.0 to the v4.1, right ?
The situation is as follows:
- the "scenery" update contains just a few mesh and default sceneries minor corrections. Not worth the effort to download and install, really.
- the "content" update is just adding the rain effect to the default planes. It's up to you to decide if you need that or not.
- the "client" update contains all of the fixes for the simulator itself. That's the mandatory one.

If you want to update the scenery and/or the content, you simply need to navigate to the control panel in windows, select one of them (one at a time, that is...) and uninstall it. When it's done, you can trigger the install_content.msi or install_scenery.msi that you downloaded from Lockheed.
If you want to update the client, it's exactly the same method: uninstall the "client" from the add/remove programs in the windows control panel. However, upon uninstall there is an option to activate to keep your registration alive. That will save you a bit of time for the reinstall of the new client (done by launching the install_client.msi file).
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 4.1 upgrade problem

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

Just to bring a little clarification:
From the Lockheed website, if you want to update the scenery, you need to download the install_scenery.msi AND all of the scenery*.cab.
If you want to update the content, you'll have to download the install_content.msi AND the two files cont*.cab.
If you want to update the client, you just need to download the install_client.msi.
In any case, you do not need to completely uninstall P3Dv4.
Most users will simply update the client. This is done in less than 2 minutes.
Some users might want to update the content too, if they want the rain effects on the default planes (plus a few fixes too, I believe... nothing much).
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D