VR headsets

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

VR headsets

Postby cevans » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Anyone used VR headsets with P3D or FSX?

Oculus Rift aside (due to it's cost) I see many available where you put in your smartphone. Wondered if anyone has tried and if the sim is smooth. (I know CPU etc will play a large part in that too)
I hear great things about them for watching 3d videos on youtube and for other gaming.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: VR headsets

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:43 pm

I've been looking at this, not to expensive to give VR a try, can't afford it yet for a while.
https://www.trackhat.org/

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 am

Maybe read what amazon users say about them

Amazon US

Amazon UK
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shadowcaster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Shadowcaster wrote:I've been looking at this, not to expensive to give VR a try, can't afford it yet for a while.

Cheers
Rich

Completely the wrong answer different subject sorry. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers
I must learn to read the posts properly
:lol: Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:12 am

cevans wrote:Anyone used VR headsets with P3D or FSX?

Oculus Rift aside (due to it's cost) I see many available where you put in your smartphone. Wondered if anyone has tried and if the sim is smooth. (I know CPU etc will play a large part in that too)
I hear great things about them for watching 3d videos on youtube and for other gaming.

I would advise you to completely forget about any headset made to get a smartphone inside.
These are just terrible.

Concerning the Occulus, until now it has been the main and best VR experience available for FSX and P3D, but only if you couple it with a payware utility called FlyInside. That utility will help you trigger a few features of the Rift and also integrate it better in the sim to improve the usability. For example, you can call any 2D popup window and integrate it as a 3D object in your sim. You can for example call a window in which you display your maps or charts, and move it to the passenger seat as if it were a tablet or something like that.

The screen resolution of the current VR headsets is too low though. There are some tricks to trigger some kind of supersampling which improves the quality of the pictures, but the instruments are still a bit hard to read without leaning forward.
In November a new batch of VR headsets will reach the market, all part of the Microsoft "Mixed Reality" product range. Makers like Acer, LG and Samsung are part of it. It seems Samsung will bring the best headset, called the Samsung Odyssey, with OLED screen with 1440x1600 pixel per eye (2880x1600 in total) at 500 dollars. I don't know how long it will take for these helmets to be compatible with our sims, though.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby tjitah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Completely agree with everything Daube said. I got my Oculus in February and was both disappointed and thrilled with it. Thrilled because the sense of immersion and spatial awareness is awesome. Disappointed because the resolution really is quite terrible. You can hardly read the instruments, so it is mostly about the "sensation" of flight and spatial awareness rather than procedures. Those smartphone headsets will be even worse, don't think they will even be able to handle the frame-rates. People need GTX 1080 graphics cards to run flight-sims with Oculus, I don't see how a puny smartphone will manage.

For what it's worth, I tried FlyInside for FSX, P3D v3 and V4 and X-Plane 10 and 11 and found the performance and experience by far the best in good old FSX.
Last edited by tjitah on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Canuck1955 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:I've been looking at this, not to expensive to give VR a try, can't afford it yet for a while.

Rich

I agree. I have been a TrackIR user for well over 10 years and in the last year also picked up Trackhat. Wish I had waited a bit as it is now offered as wireless but none the less it is better than TrackIR as it is not affected by light sources behind the user. Unfortunately TrackHat doesn't seem to get the same coverage as the others but it deserves more attention.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D