Clouds/weather payware

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Clouds/weather payware

Postby pfevrier » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 am

Hi guys,

I used to fly with FSX and had REX then, but I've made the transition to P3D v4. i'm obviously stuck between REX and Active Sky... I'm just looking for some advice, pro/cons, feedback from you guys. Just trying to make an informed decision before I give up my hard-earned money =)
Thanks!
pfevrier
Major
Major

Re: Clouds/weather payware

Postby Daube » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 am

REX is supposed to release some new product called SkyForce3D or something like that, which is told to bring some new technology or textures into the sim for the clouds.
However, after my experience with the textures in REX 4 Texture Direct, I do not think I'll buy any additional product from them. They do good stuff, the quality of the software and textures is great, but I just don't like their clouds, aesthetically.

So I kept going with the freeware HDEv2 clouds instead. They look good, they don't impact the FPS so much, and they are free.
For the weather engine, for me it's Active Sky all the way. I love the simplicity of this software, it's easy to use and there is just one or two settings to adjust (maximum number of cloud layers, for example) to avoid the FPS hit.

The historical mode is the key feature for me. It lets you have the real weather of a certain date, not just the current real weather. If you want to fly over some place where it's currently raining, you can switch your flight date to a sunny day and enjoy a sunny weather which will look much better than a simple sunny weather theme.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flacke » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Daube wrote:REX is supposed to release some new product called SkyForce3D or something like that, which is told to bring some new technology or textures into the sim for the clouds.
However, after my experience with the textures in REX 4 Texture Direct, I do not think I'll buy any additional product from them. They do good stuff, the quality of the software and textures is great, but I just don't like their clouds, aesthetically.

So I kept going with the freeware HDEv2 clouds instead. They look good, they don't impact the FPS so much, and they are free.

Hello Daube, HDEv2 Clouds is what I use also, and I LOVE them. The Cumulus clouds are so hi-res and realistic that they look just like the real Cumulus that I sometimes fly in/around in real life. They look gorgeous in bright sunlight and I could not live without them now. And, FREE is hard to beat.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

Exactly, this is also what I think about these clouds :)

Back when I bought REX4 TD, I took some time to search for nice clouds in the application. They propose a lot of differrent cloud sets, but I really didn't like most of them.
Their sky and water colors are really nice though !
And if I'm not mistaken, I bought it during some sales, so I can't really complain about it.

That being said, the HDEv2 clouds got reinstalled at the end. The combination of HDE clouds with REX skies is good. :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D