Prepar3D v4 Available Now!

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Re: Prepar3D v4 – Available Now!

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 am

Flight Simming is getting wayyy over complicated anymore

you need to do this and update this and that, then when done update even more of this and that, so that this and that are compatible and will work, etc.

geshhhh be nice if everything just worked out of the box so to speak, just like FSX did when it 1st came out kinda

kinda miss the days of simplicity ;) :shifty: 8-)
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby pete » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:38 am

Jetranger wrote:Flight Simming is getting wayyy over complicated anymore

you need to do this and update this and that, then when done update even more of this and that, so that this and that are compatible and will work, etc.

geshhhh be nice if everything just worked out of the box so to speak, just like FSX did when it 1st came out kinda

kinda miss the days of simplicity ;) :shifty: 8-)

Yes .... I remember those days ...... things were indeed simple :D (but great at that time!)

Me? I am always looking to the future and the dream of flying in a real live world in VR ........ it's a slow climb to get there ..... but I'm enjoying the journey 8-)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daube » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 am

In such a case, FSW would win without any contest.
The visuals are splitted into three categories: the plane, the scenery, and the sky.

Let's start with the scenery:
FSX and P3D share the same default scenery and are quite ugly by default.
FSW has the same default scenery, excepted it's enriched with FTX Global ground textures and autogen textures. Additionally, FSW draws the ambiant occlusion, which gives a more consistent rendering to the objects on the ground (especially with autogen).
P3D can only compensate a bit with its more elaborated shadows.
FSW wins on the scenery rendering.

Now to the planes:
The default FSX planes are now too old graphically.
P3D default planes are also "not so young", although some of them are ex-paywares, which grants them superior graphics and features compared to FSX.
FSW planes are built up from scratch, completely new models.
So FSW would win on the "default plane" graphic level.

Finally, the sky:
Well, concerning the sky, everything is strictly identical between FSX, P3D and FSW. Same textures, just a bit of differences in the shaders leading to strange results in FSW at the moment.
So by pure default, this time P3D wins the match, but that might be just a temporary win, until FSW gets fixed in one of the next updates.

So FSW appears as the winner of this comparison, yes... However, we all know which sim is the best really. Our winner is in reality the worst of the three sims at the moment.
Situation may change with future updates though, and FSW might have a chance to reach... the 2nd position in the best case :D
P3Dv4 FTW ! :dance:
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am

I am betting that it won't be too long before we can look out of the P3D v4 VC and see Google Earth real world scenery (I know we can already do it in a separate window but it's not the same at all) - but some commercial vendors will probably not like that .......... :think:

It would be something that would completely transform my experience into an amazing world.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Alain59 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm

How big is the download file for Prepar3D v4. I am asking because I am allowed only 60G per month
Alain59
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Alain59 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

I am on a metered Internet connection with a relatively limited data plan. How big is the Prepar3D v4 download?

Also, will my older Orbex add-ons work with v4?
Alain59
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Prepar3D v4 Available Now!

Postby Daube » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Sorry for the late answer.
The total size of the download is 12 GB.

Concerning the OrbX addons, they are being converted. The airports were not compatible until a few days ago, because their ObjectFlow dll was not converted to 64bits yet, but I believe it's done now (or at least in puclic beta stage).
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Prepar3D