Sorry FSX

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Sorry FSX

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:55 am

To start - there's an update to V2.5 already.

Prepar3D v2 Hotfix (2.5.12943.0)

The hotfix addresses the following issues:

Corrects issues with library object shadows
Respects effects flagged as on ground
Fixes issue with Scenery Library requiring a restart
Properly handles the cursor position in SimDirector’s text boxes

So it "Fixes issue with Scenery Library requiring a restart" which was one of the problems that I had with V2.5.

But it now has GREAT looking ground shadows.

It may be that I just haven't had a location where the ground shadows were very dramatic, but judge for yourself.

I think that NOW Prepar3d has progressed, visually, far past FSX.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Sorry FSX

Postby pete » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:40 am

Is that default scenery?

I keep thinking 'I'll wait to see if there are any more patches and then get it if not'. Then there's another patch. So again I'm waiting for the next patch .... (yes I HATE patches!)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:54 am

The thing I like about my trusty FSX (and FS 2004) is that its; "sorted", and all I've got to do each day, is fire it up...and pretend to fly!... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:36 am

pete wrote:Is that default scenery?

I keep thinking 'I'll wait to see if there are any more patches and then get it if not'. Then there's another patch. So again I'm waiting for the next patch .... (yes I HATE patches!)

Unnfortunatly, no.

That's Gran Canaria island from the Canary Islands photo scenery.

I made this post just before I went to sleep, so, perhaps I should better explain. :oops:

The hotfix corrects a few basic problems that have caused other problems.

The biggest for me, is having to make scenery changes and then to shutdown P3d, re-start P3d, choose the location again, etc.

If that bothered me, I can only suspect how much that would annoy scenery developers. :D

But the hotfix also mentions something about shadows, and I wanted to see what, if any, improvements there were.

And where have I been flying lately? Gran Canaria. Ergo off to GCLP.

Set to sunrise & start flying.

Nice picture.

End of story.

Almost.

I reloaded FSX sometime past to use for comparison.

FSX & P3d share the same scenery library, although I don't load any scenery into FSX unless I need to. So, essentially, FSX is basic FSX.

Well, after adding the Canary Island photo scenery into FSX I went to the same location & time of morning.

It didn't look anything like the shot in this post.

Again, MY FSX is basically basic.

There were a few very minor, and very small scenery popping incidents that may have disappeared. That I can't say for sure, as I've only flew briefly last night.

Time will tell, but with all of the small improvements visually in the past few months, I think that Prepar3d V2.5 is now much better than FSX.

INSTALLATION

This is a simple drag & drop procedure, it's not an executable!

You have to copy the files from the hotfix folder into the appropriate P3D folder, replacing the older ones!

It's simple to do, and worth the minor effort.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:38 am

Fozzer wrote:The thing I like about my trusty FSX (and FS 2004) is that its; "sorted", and all I've got to do each day, is fire it up...and pretend to fly!... :dance: ...!

Paul, you aren't going to give up on FSX until your computer fails in another 15-20 years. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:52 am

OldAirmail wrote:
Fozzer wrote:The thing I like about my trusty FSX (and FS 2004) is that its; "sorted", and all I've got to do each day, is fire it up...and pretend to fly!... :dance: ...!

Paul, you aren't going to give up on FSX until your computer fails in another 15-20 years. :D

Its wonderful the way that you have decided to extend my life for another 15-20 years....

...I just hope it works... I shall be well on the way to/past 100 by then!!.... :dance: ...!

Paul...I like living longer!... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrplanecrazzy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 pm

I upgraded to 2.5.......spent the whole weekend recovering from that install............went back to 2.4.....
Waiting for instructions......
some things/files are missing or moved................?????
Google...........
Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K - ASUS Z97-A - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO - 1.5TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM - Corsair 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz - 900 Watts -Apevia Warlock Power Supply LG 49" 4K Monitor 4096x2160
mrplanecrazzy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Were you having a problem installing Orbx FTX Global? That can be easily fixed.

The Addon Scenery is gone, but there's no problem adding it back.

As you can see from this list I have four "addon" folders that actually exist on another drive.

When I did the uninstall/complete install the links were broken, but the data was still on the other hard drive.

All I needed to do was to re-establish the junction links and start adding my scenery back into prepar3d.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 pm

I don't yet own Prepar3D but I sure want it. The thing with FSX and when it was developed multi core processors were not what they are today and FSX was not developed for the use of multi core. Prepar3D pretty much took developers of FSX and they changed that and that made Prepar3d more stable with new processors and operating system. Win 7 and above use DX 11 by default.
I am running Win 8.1 and FSX is very unstable and trying to do to much will have it crashing to desktop fast, if I setup a flight and get pressed for time but still want to complete flight and compress time to 8X, when I change back to normal it will crash out. Long flights and want to try to record landing with FSRecorder it will sometimes crash out.
So I can't wait to get Prepar3D

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D