Enhanced Oculus Rift DK2 support in Prepar3D

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:19 pm

This was on the LM Prepar3d site.

No pictures or video, just a download.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Enhanced Oculus Rift DK2 support in Prepar3D

Postby Daube » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for the notification !
There are some valuable informations on that page, from the features list:

Asynchronous TimewarpMaintain a smooth immersive feeling with framerates as low as 30 fps.
That's cool. I had heard before that one needed at least 75 FPS to operate the Occulus Rift correctly. So this is not that case at all, and I'm quite happy about that :D

Easy RecenteringLightly tap the Rift to recenter your view and position.
That quite a nice idea I think. It will allow an easy readjustment of the view depending on our position.

In-Rift NavigationNavigate menus, change vehicles, weather, location, settings, all without taking off your DK2.
I wonder how this will be done. The manipulation of the menus (and other things requirement keyboard input) was one of the major concerns regarding the Occulus...

Virtual Cockpit SupportClick dials, knobs, and switches. Mouse over gauges for easy to read tool-tips.
Hmm ok, it seems to me the Occulus Rift has nothing to do with that, has it ? :think:

POV-Hat ZoomUse your joystick's hat to zoom in and read small gauges.
Good, but I hope this will have a good response time.

In-Craft KneeboardLook down to see your kneeboard or ATC dialog once it is open.
That sounds cool. I'm wondering what it means, technically.... I hope it's not just a simple hole in the box, with a lot of marketting around :whistle:

Simple InstallerNo fiddling with configuration files or settings necessary.
Very good news as well.

The bad news is.... It's getting even more difficult to resist buying a DK2.... :mrgreen:
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Any good news is great news.

I hope. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby anprogrammer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi all, author of DCOC here! First off, there is a video on the site. You can see it here: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7LOAeL45Y[/youtube] (or by scrolling down on the linked site) if you'd like a preview before downloading.

Keep in mind, this is the work of me, an individual, in my free-time, not some company's product. So there will be bugs and glitches.

Virtual Cockpit SupportClick dials, knobs, and switches. Mouse over gauges for easy to read tool-tips.
Hmm ok, it seems to me the Occulus Rift has nothing to do with that, has it ? :think:

The thing is, the built in virtual cockpit doesn't support Oculus Rift distortions (your mouse will show in the wrong place), and tool-tips show up only on one side of the screen, in a small font. I've put a huge amount of work into making the mouse position properly in 3 dimensional space rather than just a 2d cursor on a 2d screen, and my plugin extracts tooltips and shows them in 3d-space on each eye, distorted properly, and in a larger font to accommodate the Rift.

Try it out, it's a real blast, and it's been a lot of work to make it work <<s . If you run into any bugs shoot me an e-mail at CrazyNorman@gmail.com

Feel free to ask any questions
anprogrammer
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 am

Thanks a lot for your explanations, greatly appreciated.
I wasn't aware of the distortion you mentionned, or the incorrect mouse position. In fact, I have no idea about the constraints introduced by the adaptation of the sim display to the Occulus Rift display. Looks like it's far more complex than I imagined. :oops:
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D