P3D and Nvidea Inspector

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

P3D and Nvidea Inspector

Postby CHUCK79 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:18 am

I have a small anti-aliasing issue with P3D. I can't get it to look as crisp as FSX. I believe this is due to P3D not allowing Nvidea Inspector to override P3Ds' AA settings. If anyone is in the know about this issue (perhaps there's a patch in the works) a heads up would be appreciated.

Chuck
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P3D and Nvidea Inspector

Postby Capt_Cronic » Sat May 17, 2014 12:43 pm

no patch avail.
AA setings in nvidia inspector are still not fully supported
here are the p3d and NI settings that work best for me

Prepar3d.cfg

[Display]
MSAA=4
SSAA=0
VSYNC=1
FXAA=1
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

Nvidia Inspector
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Sat May 17, 2014 2:48 pm

P3DV2 has a conflict with Antialiasing, so that you can neither cancel nor improve the application settings, which are in some cases ineffective. So far as LM is reporting that is a DX11 problema and Nvidia are out. The result is that the image "clarity" is worse than in FSX (and FS9, his grandfather). Maybe with a NASA computer there is not a problem but with mid level computers it is. P3DV2 has inherited from FSX the dubious ability of having a different behaviour for each PC.

There is a setting in Nvidia Inspector that solves the problem and as per today (as far as I know) the only possible for improving the application setting:

EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT: SGSSAAx4 this is: AA_MODE_REPLAY_SGSSAA_4X . This value can be set effectively with Nvidia Inspector, and the image is improved, perfect in VC, great external views, and IMPORTANT, MSAA should be also 4 in P3D

FXAA: Without hesitation OFF, With ON the numbers of the gauges are blurred. This implies that the external views and runway lines have less quality, but are improved with the previous setting.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 am

Indeed, as written by the other members, it's almost impossible to get a good AntiAliasing in P3D.
The issue is exactely the same as FSX in DirectX10 mode, by the way.

A summary of the situation is: P3D and FSX DX10 will totally ignore the settings you set in NVidia Inspector, excepted the transparency antialiasing.
The Transparency AA will give you some smooth picture. Unfortunately, it will totally KILL your FPS as soon as anything transparent will appear on the screen, may it be smoke effects or clouds. That basically makes the sim unusable.

I prefer to stay with bad AA and keep enjoying a smooth flight in cloudy weather.
All of the P3D community is waiting for LM or NVidia to act on this issue, but there has not been a single step forward in years.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Prepar3D