ATC vs FMC - FSX vs Prepar3D

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

ATC vs FMC - FSX vs Prepar3D

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 am

I recently tried to have a go with FMC flight plans in FSX. (Stock downloaded AC and Honeywell FMC). Turned out to be a big disappointment really.
And it is all ATC's fault.. :think:

I have researched and learned that ATC that ships with FSX is very limited and "unintelligent".
1. It does not "recognize" SIDS or STARS.
2. It is oblivious to the data you entered into the FMC, and ends up giving you conflicting flight levels etc.

This means you need to fly your flightplan either by ATC instructions, or by FMC, but not both.

So far all "comparisons" I have read between FSX and P3D are about graphics, the "look" etc.
But this has got me thinking now.
Has Prepar3D got a new and improved ATC, or is it still the old "less than perfect" FSX ATC?

Can you in Prepar3D, log a flight plan, get taxi clearance, get departure clearance from ATC and then once "on route,"
when ATC instructs you to "continue own navigation", are you truly done with ATC, or will it interfere with your flight levels--as happens with FSX?

:?: Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: ATC vs FMC - FSX vs Prepar3D

Postby Daube » Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 am

As far as I know, the ATC in P3D is exactely the same as FSX.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sprocket » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am

Daube wrote:As far as I know, the ATC in P3D is exactely the same as FSX.

Thanks. Searching the net if found this is indeed the case.

Like I said, I started looking at FMC, but I don't like it. It is unrealistic that you could fly a heavy with no ATC input at all, other than flying vatsim
or similar....for which I am not ready by a long shot.

As such then I prefer to fly with ATC directions.

Thanks
Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Thu May 22, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm not a fan of using FMC's at all, but they are in fact the common method for routing the aircraft in the real world. ATC is responsible for orderly and safe separation of aircraft in their airspace. It is a common mis-conception in the virtual flying world that the Air Traffic Controllers actually steer the plane (ie: tell you which way to turn). They do for specific reasons, but generally the plane is departing on a known route or clearance, and controllers just get them on their way.

Now I'm not a real pilot, so If someone with more experience wants to add to this, by all means...
The basic principle of the matter, is that the ATC and the pilots both know the standard procedures for flying in and out of the airspace. The pilot plans his flight route, files his flight plan, which is either accepted or revised by the controllers. Then, before the plane even pushes from the gate, the pilot knows exactly where he is supposed to be going, and the controllers down the line know that the pilot knows the route. All the controllers need to do is provide basic enroute clearances to get the plane moving in or out of the airspace.

For example the Pilot calls up for clearance at the gate. The route is already submitted to ATC some time earlier. The pilot receives a clearance which sounds something like..."World Travel 234 Heavy cleared to the Metropolis City airport via the fancy3 departure radar vectors spiffy then as filed. Climb via the fancy3 departure. departure frequency is 123.45. squawk 2301." if the pilot is ok with this route, he/she will read back the clearance to acknowledge it, and it is now mandatory for the pilot to comply with that EXACT clearance. Thus he can safely input some info for the route into the FMC.

If I'm not mistaken, there's actually a text based clearance/control interface with some aircraft where the information is received in the FMC from the ground, and the pilot simply amends his FMC route with the received information.

So yeah...FSX/FS2004/<insert simulator platform here> are not that smart on their own for ATC. Thus using the FMC for routing with SID/STAR routes usually upsets stock ATC.

Forget Vatsim...try some of the more relaxed online communities where the same folks that like to fly online also like to control occasionally. Checkout FSopen, or fsxbeyondgamespy for some good online atc sessions with competent controllers and a more relaxed learning atmosphere than Vatsim. If you never try, you will never learn. and the simulator is a PERFECT atmosphere to learn is it not?
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D