Dual Monitors

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Dual Monitors

Postby G.K. » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:33 am

I've been experimenting with various layouts for my dual monitors and come across several issues that for me are a problem.....These problems fall into three possible categories: ......Problems occurring because I'm not an expert, I don't know what I'm doing......Problems caused by my low (ish) spec rig....problems within P3D itself.

I'll post some of these issues on the P3D forum at some time but I thought I'd put this post hear because it's a nicer forum 8-)

I'll start with the rig (or my ignorance?):
2 monitors that have different connectors. One is DVI-I (digital and analog) and the other is DVI-D (digital only). I'll gladly admit that I know nothing about the tech specs of my monitors and the merits of either connector.

anyway, that aside I thought I'd see how the sim went if I used one monitor. I switched one monitor off using Nvidia control panel and low and behold I had a significant increase in FPS, no real surprises because my little ol' gt640 2gig is not a top spec card. I then switched monitors (control panel) and got an even better FPS increase.......So the DVI-I monitor worked better than the DVI-D......I have not the vaguest idea why.......see I told you I didn't know what I was doing.

So quick question.....would I be better getting another gt640 2 gig (one for each monitor) or should I save up pennies and go for a top end card?

Another question.....Does anyone bother with specific Monitor drivers and does it make a difference?

Issues related to P3D (or again, perhaps my ignorance):
I get the blurries now and again. This seems to be a known issue with v2.2 ......I got them in the alps, switching between cockpit and external views. When I go back to external view the textures all over the terrain or blurred to hell and it takes several seconds for them to go away. Using resource monitors neither the cpu or gpu are struggling at the time.

Things started OK but now For some reason when I load a flight it comes up in what it thinks is full screen....but it isn't, it only occupies the centre part of the screen like a window. I have to disable full screen, maximise the window and the re enable Full screen to get back to normal. A pain in the backside. I've tried resaving flights in full screen but no joy in getting rid of this. I did experiment with different screen resolutions, the issue occurred after this.

Using dual monitors I usually have the dashboard, throttle quad and GPS on my right hand monitor.........When I click on the dashboard the throttle and GPS disappear, they've gone behind the main panel and I can't get them back without moving everything around again.....I've tried Docking, undocking, locking, unlocking I've even tried dicking, ducking, flicking and even flocking but to no avail. (perhaps if I chuck a sock at it?)

.....anyway, your thoughts are always appreciated.

I've gone back to using one monitor for the time being......The sim on my rig works much better that way. Still very Pleased with it in spite of the few niggles (and LM are working on those)
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Re: Dual Monitors

Postby G.K. » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

G.K. wrote:Things started OK but now For some reason when I load a flight it comes up in what it thinks is full screen....but it isn't, it only occupies the centre part of the screen like a window. I have to disable full screen, maximise the window and the re enable Full screen to get back to normal. A pain in the backside. I've tried resaving flights in full screen but no joy in getting rid of this. I did experiment with different screen resolutions, the issue occurred after this.

Solved that one and it was my ignorance.......There's an auto fill screen option that I had forgotten about.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Re: Dual Monitors

Postby papituwall » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:03 am

If you use dual monitors there is a free application that solves the full screen problem in FSX-P3D and has other improvements: FS- Simtimizer

You can found it here: http://www.friendlyflusi.at/index.php?page=Thread&postID=127639

The page is in German but the program has an English manual.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Return to Prepar3D