Prepar3D v2.2 Now Available for Download

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Prepar3D v2.2 Now Available for Download

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Prepar3D v2.2 Breaks Through – Now Available for Download :D

My computer says that I have 1 hour and 30 minutes.

I'm requesting that all riff raff wait until I'm done. :lol:

The videos look GREAT!
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Prepar3D v2.2 Now Available for Download

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:35 pm

All done, 44 minutes.

Unfortunately I need to hit the sack early.

Good luck, happy downloaders. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Capt_Cronic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 pm

:clap: anxiously awaiting your results :clap:
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby G.K. » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:22 am

Just installed the patch.

CPU i5
Graphics gt640 2 gig
8 gig ram
FSX and P3D on separate drive.

Most settings on high (Not Ultra)
water high
Autogen building and trees high
2 layers scattered clouds
1 Vis layer
no traffic
Frames locked at 30
2 screens (1 with monitoring apps)
NO HDR ;) :lol:
No lens flare
Aircraft (self and ground) and VC shadows on.

P3D handling all graphics settings not using Nvidia inspector on it yet.

Through the swiss alps getting steady 30 fps

Manhattan diving between the buildings and above: 20-28 fps. very smooth though.

smooth, smooth, smooth.......

If I switch terrain, sim object, autogen shadows on the FPS drops drastically into the teens. Some improvement may be gained if I turn down other settings....dunno yet.

Nvidia inspector and resource monitor tell me that my bottle neck is now my GPU which is stretched at a constant 99% in New York - Alps it's at 50-80%. No artefacts or glitches though.....CPU is running steady at between 30-40%. I have altered the P3D config adding AffinityMask=14, this seems to help.

Sorry this is brief but I got some work to do.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Just tested the 2.2 version, just patched, not a full reinstall. I did however delete the shaders and other folders that are recommended to delete on the LM forums. As a consequence, I had to completely reconfigure the sim graphical options, key assignments, and re-declare my various sceneries in the scenery library, because everything was gone... :roll:
Also had to tweak a bit the Prepar3D.cfg, since I regenerated a new one. For the moment, I have only set the WideViewAspect to true, and the LOD_RADIUS to 8.5.
I haven't yet added the various modules to the DLL and EXE.xlm, will do that later.

It is indeed a huge improvement over the past two versions 2.0 and 2.1.
The FPS limit, set internally to 30 FPS, was quite stable, even with the fairly high level of details currently set in my options.
I have tested over a France VFR photorealistic scenery, with added freeware extremely dense autogen. The autogen bug is gone. I can now enjoy the scenery with the pop_free_autogen active, and no flashing areas at all. No OOMs yet, either ! :clap:

I was using the "Fair Weather" theme, in order to see some cloud shadows. That option seems to become expensive once the clouds become too dense, but in fair weather it's quite comfortable, I could maintain the 30 FPS limit, with some minor oscillations. I will soon test with unlimited FPS. The effect of the varying lighting when you fly under a cloud, in an open cockpit airplane like the Waco, is really pleasant. <<q

Also, I could test a fast jet. Mach 0.8 only (annoying overspeed because of my ordnance) at low altitude: no autogen popping, no flashing, and no blurries
In 2.0, I could fly Mach 1.5 with almost no blurries, I will try that again in 2.2 later (I didn't have the right plane). 8-)

So far I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results. :clap:
My computer is an old i7 960 @3,2GHz (overclocked to 3,6 GHz I believe...) with a NVidia GTX480.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 pm

Just got home from work, and I'm starting the FULL install.

They recommend removing four folders. I've created a folder on the desktop and moved them there.

A full install, is also what they recommended on the last V2.x "update". My guess is that problems may occur if you choose to "update" the older install.

The original V2.x gave me more headaches than joy, so I didn't mind at all. ^-^

After the last update to V2.199x things worked MUCH better, so I started installing FSX planes & scenery into that version of Prepar3d.

Now that I was getting things setup to suite me, I find I have to do it all over again. :x

But, I will do it. Because I think that they must have a reason. :whistle:

Having moved, rather than RE-moved those files/folders, I will probably be able to simple copy and paste some sections back into the appropriate XML files.

For instance, I see no reason to remove my saved airport starting points. Those saved "starting points" are the best way I have of remembering what special scenery/airports I've downloaded & installed six months or a year from now.

Think about it for a moment - You've downloaded and installed a Gig of scenery/airports in the past six months. Will you really remember ALL of the airports? Or will most of them go unused because you don't recall the airport code, or the town's name? "GEE, how come I need to buy a new, LARGER, hard drive?"

All of my flight instrument settings. You want me to wipe it ALL out & start from scratch? NO.

I don't know just what is essential to replace. Obviously, there is a lot.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt, and do a full install. But this "Full install", every time that they want to do an update, is starting to get tiring.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment - I have made some expedient, and certainly non-standard, modifications. There is NO WAY that they can know all of the foolish things MANY of us have done.

Probably, for most people, a straight "update" will be fine.

I'm still waiting for the install to complete. :violin:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Capt_Cronic » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:35 am

I just installed the patch and a few addons

:D WOW :D

I still need to tweak my settings (only minor tweaks) but I am VERY happy with what I see so far.
I have already removed FSX and dont think I will ever have to go back !

after I get the rest of my payware scenery installed, I,ll post some pix.

again, VERY satisfied :clap:
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby G.K. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 am

OldAirmail wrote:
For instance, I see no reason to remove my saved airport starting points. Those saved "starting points" are the best way I have of remembering what special scenery/airports I've downloaded & installed six months or a year from now.

Think about it for a moment - You've downloaded and installed a Gig of scenery/airports in the past six months. Will you really remember ALL of the airports? Or will most of them go unused because you don't recall the airport code, or the town's name? "GEE, how come I need to buy a new, LARGER, hard drive?"

:

I have trouble remembering where my backside is these days........I had some great airports in FSX but I hardly ever used them for exactly that reason.....I'd forgotten codes.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

G.K. wrote:
OldAirmail wrote:

:

I have trouble remembering where my backside is these days........I had some great airports in FSX but I hardly ever used them for exactly that reason.....I'd forgotten codes.

What I've done after installing some of those GREAT scenery/airports, is to save the flight BEFORE I fly it.

I'll use a location (the longer & more standardized the better) & airport code as the saved flight name.

Jetranger has a system, and I'm using a modification of it.

Examples;
USA California Death Valley L06
USA Idaho Oakley 1U6
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:01 pm

QUESTION: Am I the only one with SimConnect problems?
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 pm

I don't know the How or Why of it, but SimConnect is now working.

BTW - I saved the Control folder from the old %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 and copied it into the "new" %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2.

All my flight buttons & switches etc. were restored without any problems that I can detect.

There ARE a lot if changes in the XML files that I looked at (briefly). But this seems to be a safe bet. :D

BTW 2 - Prepar3d V2.199x has no Cessna 172 in it.

When I copied it from FSX to P3d, I ended up with all white 172's.

Now with P3d V2.2x they have their external paints. :clap: :dance: :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Capt_Cronic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:10 am

I used my old control settings file from FSX and it worked perfectly
a real big plus for those who want to make the change from FSX to P3d :D
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D