Prepar3d Progress

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Re: Prepar3d Progress

Postby G.K. » Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 am

A few thoughts.......

...........After a few sessions on P3d I'm really not sure what to do next. One or two problems have arisen and I'm thinking of reinstalling the sim (groan).

In some areas over Europe there now appears to be big squares or rectangles of forest, it looks horrible with right angles everywhere, like a patchwork quilt. If I disable UTX they disappear.....something's gone wrong and I don't know what. (I used the migrator tool)

I have an old but good condition Saitek x45 that I used to use on LOMAC. It works badly with P3D and I now remember why I didn't use it on FSX. It's way too sensitive in the central position. 1mm of movement equates to +1500 ft or -1500 ft rate of climb........It's impossible to achieve level flight. My passengers are heaving as I speak. I've downloaded the latest and older 64bit SST software from saitek in an attempt to adjust the response curves, neither work, both give me the BSOD. My old Logitech FF stick will have to do for the mo but it's soon going to die judging by the noise it now makes.

My GT640 graphics card is barely coping being stretched to 99% much of the time.

The time consumed just fiddling is enormous, I really would like to spend more time flying without glitches. The ratio between Bug tracking and Bug mashing seems to be out of balance at the moment.

So do I spend more money on:
ORBX Global addons?
New Joystick?
FSUIPC 4 (to sort out my x45)
New Graphics card?
New Lawn Mower?
Loose Women?
Beer?
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby logjam » Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 am

Let someone else do the testing for you. I had the same problems with V1.2. Couldn't get my X45 to work properly or my CH yoke and pedals. The latest drivers from Saitek made it worse. Changed the X45 into a play station controller. I got a refund until everything's sorted out. Now I just sit back drinking beer, have fun actually flying FSX. O, btw, the Texan T6 from Iris does aerobatics like you wouldn't believe and you can do a really good fighter approach after buzzing all the cruise ships off San Diego North Island NAS.

<<q
logjam
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Thu May 01, 2014 1:03 pm

LoL you could be right logjam.

To be fair to P3d the joystick issue was the same in FSX. It's a shame because it's hardly been used, no doubt I'll think of something to sort it out.

I'm going to reinstall p3d and go with the ORBX global basepack and then perhaps the global vector add-on later.

The Volumetric fog in P3D really is sweet. The visibility layers in FSX were always horrible looking.

G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby krazyj » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 am

right so been reading through the posts and been searching around a bit.

and off the bat I have 3 pressing questions..

1. have they solved the 32bit issues with ram ect ?
2. has anyone tried to put the PMDG aircraft over, I know they say they dont work, but have anyone actually tried ?
3. I have an old Logitech G940 set which works great for fsx, will it work for P3D
4. ( yes I said 3 but came up with one more ) being a rotary bloke as well, have they fixed the shitty flight dynamics from FSX, can I do autos ect realistically now ?

thanks in advance
krazyj
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:03 am

I don't know if this'll help, but to the best of my knowledge....

1. Prepar3d V2.4 is technically still a 32bit program.

I say technically, because larger and larger chunks of it are being run as 64bit software ALONG SIDE of the 32bit program.

The Prepar3d development team is even farming out parts of the flight process to the GPU! :o

As to the RAM part - I've had absolutely no out of memory problems.

I monitor my memory usage every now and then. The max that I've seen being used was about 7GB.

But then I run a lot of ancillary programs while flying.

2. I can't help much on this one. I have minimal interest in big tubes, and absolutely no interest in the BIG name products like PMDG.

I've seen far too many people seeking support for those. Just my opinion.

However, I did find this - P3D Development Status Thread. Posted 12 September 2014.
PMDG have finalized a licensing agreement with our licensing partners that will allow PMDG products to appear on the P3D platform. We will initially be offering versions of our simulation products that are licensed to be used for general study and self-education purposes. We will follow those offerings at a later date with products that are licensed specifically for use within training departments and the training environment.

3. No clue. If you give me a Logitech G940 for free, I'll let you know. :D

4. "Realistically"? How is that judged. :think:

I know that A LOT of X-Plane enthusiasts will talk about it being extremely realistic.

Try this with X-Plane - land something like a Cessna 172 in the ocean. THEN take off. Not a problem.

Lockheed Martin is, among other things, a major defense contractor. Prepar3d is being developed for a more realistic training simulation.

They'll probably put a significant amount of time (later) into helicopters.

Whereas the FSX program isn't going anywhere, other than what the software houses may provide.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:27 am

krazyj wrote:right so been reading through the posts and been searching around a bit.

and off the bat I have 3 pressing questions..

1. have they solved the 32bit issues with ram ect ?

No, P3D is still a 32 bits application, so it will run into the same limitations as FSX.
That being said, they made a quite a few fixes to the memory handling, so P3D is less prone to out of memory errors.

2. has anyone tried to put the PMDG aircraft over, I know they say they dont work, but have anyone actually tried ?

Yes, the 737 seems to work if you managed to isntall it properly. I don't know if all the systems work properly though.
The 777 has an internal gauge that will recognize P3D and will prevent the plane from working.

3. I have an old Logitech G940 set which works great for fsx, will it work for P3D

Should work, the control system configuration is exactely the same.

4. ( yes I said 3 but came up with one more ) being a rotary bloke as well, have they fixed the shitty flight dynamics from FSX, can I do autos ect realistically now ?

Flight dynamics in P3D are just the same than FSX.
For helicopters, the main problem is that NOBODY wants to build a realistic one. The flight model of the sim has limitations for sure, but mainly it's the addon makers who are not willing to invest the efforts into building a realistic aircraft.
Dodosim did one, and that's all.
Nobody ever created anything realistic for the helos ever since.
All the simconnect/FSUIPC related tools like Helicopter Total Realism (HTR) should still work as in FSX, I guess.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Prepar3D