"New" Video card setup

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

"New" Video card setup

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 am

Long story short: My motherboard will accept two video cards, so I put my "old" card in the other slot today.

This IS NOT a SLI or Crossfire setup. I just wanted to try spreading the load, if possible, and see if I could get a few more video connections.

Both cards are in the Radeon HD series, with Eyefinity. That means that each card can run three monitors at the same time.

What you see are Windows screen captures, not photos. That means that there will be no monitor bezels in the pictures.

This picture, when captured, is 4640 pixels wide, by 1680 high.

The screen (not counting the bezel) is 40 inches wide (101.6 cm). So this little picture isn't going to give you the REAL idea of what it looks like in person.

But it may help you in deciding if a triple monitor would fit your needs.

For the most part, ALL of this is the same for FSX.

This is Prepar3d V2 running in a 9 inch USB monitor, At 1024 X 600.

Not only is there no problem, but it's actually faster!

This looks the best in real life, far better than it does here.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: "New" Video card setup

Postby Hestntonpms » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Are you saying that you have two different video cards plugged into your Mother board and both of them are able to be used at the same time?
I didnt know that was possible , as a matter of fact I thought it was impossible so I never bothered to try .

My mother board will support up to 4 GFX cards and I have a few laying around, I have a GTX 660 ti still in it's box and a 550 ti still in it's box I wonder what will happen if I try to connect it to my mobo and have 3? The GTX Titan, GTX 660ti and GTX 550ti . . .

I am always afraid to destroy something, I don't care so much if I smoke the 660 or the 550 but if I smoke my main card I'm gonna BUG !! LOL
Gigabyte X79 Chip set Mobo
Intel-i7 4820K CPU/Liquid cooled
Single GTX Titan 6gig GPU/ extreme air cooled
16 gig/1600 MHz quad channel DDR3
1 T/B -Raid-0 array,Risking it all for every ounce of performance until I go with SSD's
Hestntonpms
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: "New" Video card setup

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 am

For those who missed my reply elsewhere, the answer is YES. :D

If you have two, or more, PCIe connectors on your motherboard, you can do it.

BTW - there is no "special", or "standard" color.

Most people use two identical video cards, and set them up to work as one, more powerful, card.

It doesn't double the power, but it can, to some degree, take the place of a more powerful/expensive card.

In my case, the two cards are different, but of the same family, i.e.. AMD Radeon HD.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Prepar3D