Compatibility Choice?

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Compatibility Choice?

Postby WPadgett » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 am

Running Prepar3D 1.4 on a laptop with Win 7 Home Premium in Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) compatibility mode.

The learning center starts with a blank screen then slowly fills in as I click in various spots.

In the map, airport information window - if there's more information than the window can display, I'm not able to get the display to scroll down so I can view the rest of the info.

Anyone encountered and overcome these problems? Is there a recommended or "best" compatibility mode I should use for Win 7?

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Compatibility Choice?

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm afraid that you are going to loose out for several reasons.

What is the max resolution of the laptop?

I'm willing to bet that the max resolution of your laptop is lower then P3d requires.

And if you're running Windows NT, it's probably an old computer. The card & driver are probably on the underpowered side.

From their site;
"Prepar3D is only compatible with Microsoft Windows operating systems (currently XP, Vista, and 7) and it will not be ported to Apple or Linux operating systems."[/b]

Windows NT is not a supported OS.

From their site.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:25 am

I'm running P3D, v1.4 on an i5 laptop, Windows7 64bit 4GB ram.
Runs perfectly, faster & smoother than FSX. I have not changed anything regarding compatibility modes. The thang just works. (Installed in default directory!!, as is my 2x versions of FS9, & FSX)
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 am

The key to his problem is not that he's using a laptop.

But that if he has a laptop running Windows NT, he's using a non-supported OS.

AND if he's using a laptop that has Windows NT on it, the laptop itself due to it's age may not be capable of running Prepar3d 1.4.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby WPadgett » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:I'm running P3D, v1.4 on an i5 laptop, Windows7 64bit 4GB ram.
Runs perfectly, faster & smoother than FSX. I have not changed anything regarding compatibility modes. The thang just works. (Installed in default directory!!, as is my 2x versions of FS9, & FSX)

Thanks for your reply!

I'm also running P3D, v1.4 + FS9 & FSX on an AMD laptop, Windows7 64bit 4GB ram and my experience is similar to yours except:

Try this; Go to the "Map" - go to KSFO [or any LARGE airport with MULTIPLE runways] - click on the airport then select the airport. The airport information window should appear along with a small diagram of the runways. In the airport information window is a list of radio frequencies, field elevation, then runway information [numbers, length, surface material, ILS frequency & heading], - are you able to scroll down that window to view ALL the runway information? I know there are a few other ways to access this info but I like this method AND believe my inability to scroll is a bug or compatibility problem. Works fine in FS9 & FSX on the same computer.

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WPadgett » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 pm

My mistake! The learning center problem is in FS9 & FSX on my laptop with Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit. Sorry.

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D