Prepar3D...The new FSX compatible Flight Simulator!

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

Re: Prepar3D...The new FSX compatible Flight Simulator!

Postby BE58D » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

OldAirmail wrote:There is a sim for you. Its called X-Plane 10.

Watch this video - Exclusive interview with Austin Meyer over X-Plane 10. Watch it ALL the way through.

The depth and dynamics of X-Plane 10 is fantastic, within it's core. But outside of a few aircraft and a city or 2 Laminar Research depends on a cadre of devoted fans and payware companies to fill it out. In time it just may be THE next flight sim.

For me it's not so hot, in that the vast majority of airports consists only of runways. And I'm talking about some major east cost airports, not just the small cities that I like to fly to. The scenery companies seem to concentrate on mountainous areas and islands. It's as if they think that everyone lives in California, Alaska, or Colorado. I have lived on the East Coast most of my life and enjoy this area. To each his own.

So after I was told to "just create the airports, it's simple", I just ignored X-Plane 10, "it's simple". I do have some unique talents, but I'm about as artistic as chopped liver. And at my age I have more to do. Like comb my 3 hairs, brush my dentures, adjust my hernia belt, clean out my hearing aid, shift the donut cushion under my butt. Oh, the list is endless. :lol:

Our interests are different. When I have time to fly, I just want to fly. If I need to get into the details, I do. I wanted a GPS in a touchscreen with REAL concentric knobs, and I made it happen. It wasn't hard at all, but it seems that no one else did it the same way as I did.

Either Prepar3D or X-Plane 10 will win out in the end. I already have X-Plane 10, but I'll wait until Prepar3D Ver. 2 comes out before I decide where to invest my time and money.

I tried X-Plane 10 demo version, liked it... I bought the full Regional - North America version and unfortunately I didn't find it easily configurable to my Saitek products for one, two the lack of AI traffic, three working with ATC is not easy... actually, I found it impossible to even do! The lack of GA and Commerical aircraft is another pitfall, along with the lack of airport detail (e.g. just runways, taxiways, etc) unless it's a MAJOR airport. The overall graphics are superb!!! If they'd fix the fore mentioned, I'd buy it again (sold off my copy).
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Prepar3D is not completely compatible with some FSX aircraft, and some third-party vendors won't support their products on P3D, i.e. won't discuss P3D issues at all. It's the licensing that's the ugly albatross around P3D's neck, licensed for academic study, not for recreation. Thems the facts, like it or not. Sure, we're all "studying" flight and aviation, but ... And, sure, people can wink-wink-nudge-nudge all they want and enjoy P3D if they choose to do so. Me, I have no need for it since my FSX rig is stable, runs great, looks great, and the third-party support for FSX is still the best, with no sign of slowing down. Being an IT professional, I have to take software licensing requirements seriously, so I'll pass on Prepar3D for now.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 pm

"It's the licensing that's the ugly albatross around P3D's neck, licensed for academic study, not for recreation."

I tried looking up the definition of "academic study". The clearest that I found was from the University of Greenwich;
Academic study
Programmes/courses connected to studying and thinking and not with practical/vocational skills.

But I don't think that this will work RE: Prepar3d.

Anyone who has me for a lawyer is an idiot. BUT...

I don't think that they (L M) say that you have to be in a paid course related to aeronautics. And no wink, wink needed for me, I am learning the basics of flight. IF I bought the "Academic" version and intended to use it to teach a flight class with it, THAT would be a clear violation.

This is an area totally different from installing software on your work computer that was bought for, and installed on, your home computer.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby CHUCK79 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Here's a link to a license comparison page:
http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvie ... omparison/
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JBaymore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 pm

ftldave wrote: It's the licensing that's the ugly albatross around P3D's neck, licensed for academic study, not for recreation.

The real point is that for a GOOD simulator for the SERIOUS simmer....... $200 is not much money when compared to something like about $50 for most otehr game-y type things. Forget the academic version.... just cough up the money. It is not too many Starbucks coffees that you'd have to skip to pay the difference.

best,

..............john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 am

Whenever I read this on the ELU...>>>

"To see which version of Prepar3D® is right for you, please reference the chart on the right. As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."

....I say to myself..... :shock: ....

"This piece of Computer Game software is not meant for you, Foz!".... :o ....!

Whenever I fancy purchasing a new "game" for my computer, including Flight Simulators, I expect to see it on the shelves of my local Game Store, for me to pick up, pay for, take it home with me, and have fun with it!... :D ...!

This does not seem to be the case with Prepare 3D... :cry: ...!

Its not intended for casual "Gamers", like me, so I'll stick to the more familiar Flight Sims, FSX, FS 2004, etc, which are available in the Shops... :D ...!

Paul.... ;) ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RAFSB » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 am

You are right Foz. Prepar3d is not for the "Casual Gamer". It is not a replacement for FSX. It's a "Training tool"
I'm using it to test aircraft, ships and land vehicles to create missions (search and rescue) for our Aerospace Facility.
We are running 10 new HP AMD A-10 computers with Prepar3d (Win 7) 1 also has Ship Simulator 2008 with a ships control, and the 10th is being put into a fighter cockpit to run the LM F-35.
We are also installing Prepar3d on a i5 PC that will run our UAV sim. So far so good.
We should have everything running at full steam by mid=April. Expect pics. :)
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 am

Wonderful, RAF!... :D ...!

Many thanks...

That clears up a lot of possible misconception, regarding; "Prepare 3D", used as a Flight Simulator, (for casual "Gamers", etc)... ;) ...!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 am

What they are really saying is that they are not going to take support calls /email from a bunch of gamers. It is for a "professional" environment.

If you can be self-sufficient for the stuff you need to use it....... or get the support you need from thrid party places like SimV........ my guess is it'll be just fine.

If you call them and say "this sucks for a game"... they will simply point you to the EULA.

best,

................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Prepar3D