The new FSX compatible Flight Simulator

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

The new FSX compatible Flight Simulator

Postby pete » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:07 pm

From the Prepar3D website
Training meets reality with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation software. Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning.

Prepar3D (pronounced “prepared”) is a visual simulation platform that allows users to create training scenarios across aviation, maritime and ground domains. Users can train anywhere in the virtual world, from underwater to sub orbital space.

Prepar3D furthers the development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D

It will be interesting to hear from people who use it or intend to use it.

I have purchased the 'Academic license' ( $49.95) myself but haven't got around to trying it yet .....
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The new FSX compatible Flight Simulator

Postby Fly2e » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D
In 2009, 2010 Lockheed Martin announced that they had negotiated with Microsoft to purchase the intellectual property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP product. Microsoft ESP is the commercial-use version of "Flight Simulator X SP2". On May 17, 2010, Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called "Prepar3D" (pronounced "Prepared"). Lockheed hired members of the original Microsoft ACES Studio team to continue development of the product. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail license cost of $US499.00. A developer license is also available for a monthly fee of $US9.95. In March 2012, along with the release of version 1.3, the pricing strategy was revised. The Professional edition is now available for $US199, with an Academic License available for $US49.95. Prepar3D furthers the development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D. Click link to learn more and tell us what you think of this Simulator! Prepar3D
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 pm

For the serious simmer (as in home cockpit builders) this is looking like a significant possibility. At about $200 the professional version is NOT all that expensive, particularly when you compare to the other expenses involved in a simpit. This has me seriously thinking.

Even for a desktop sim...... if this is truly a "professional' level product (flight schools!)...... when you compare it to a more "game" level sim like FSX the price difference for the better product is NOT all that much.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what our members do with this.

best,

.......................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RAFSB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 am

I have the Professional version at home and use it as a "Test bed" for mission building and FSX addons of RCAF aircraft.
I am a volunteer instructor at our Regional Community Aerospace Facility located at CYKF. Here, we have 14 basic flight sim stations in one room and 8 advanced flight stations on the "flight deck".
The flight deck is having a major refit as we have installed Prepar3d on the 8 sim stations. Our next step is to rebuild our cockpit to that of a F-35 with 4 monitors. That was done this week end.We also have a 2 place UAV sim, a moon sim and a ship sim.
Here are a couple of shots of the Facility. More to come as I take the Pics.

As you can see we are renovating. :dance:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/widdcycahqk58sv/LHY8qGvaQh

Here is another link to our facility.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubr7xz5glh64i ... 202012.pdf
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Great post Ron! RAFSB,( I assume that's the name ) And good idea Simv staff in starting this forum board..
I can likely afford to get into this (Prepar3d), but I need someone to push me over the edge.. Does this program run smoother, are the graphics improved, do you need to go through a lot of fuss if you upgrade your PC? If you purchase this without having FSX already installed, does it have its own version of FSX?
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby RAFSB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 am

Hi Steve.

It is a stand alone program but not like FSX as it does not have a start up screen. You start in the mooney at an airport.
Yes, I feel the graphics are better and it runs smoother than FSX.
I used to have a AMD 4800+ dual core, 2 gig ram and a ATI 4750 vid card. Prepar3d would run for about 20 minutes and then shut down. I now have a AMD A10 Quad core with 8 gig of ram and use the onboard ATI 6000 series vid card with 2 monitors and it is awesome.
Remember, it is expensive at $200.00 (US) for the Pro version. Better to read up on it before you make a desision. Check out their site.

Peter
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Certainly is a great idea adding this program as a topic to the new site.

Wonder how it works with Windows 8?

Looking forward to reading more on this program... :D
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Peter (RAFSB), has invited me to a tour at their fascilities at CYKF Sunday afternoon. And a chance to try Prepar3d. Thank you so much Peter! I am looking forward to it.. I hope you don't mind I posted this but I wanted to share with our friends at Simv!

EDIT: Had a nice tour of the fascilities and got a nice look at Prepar3d. Thanks Peter! Very impressive..
I'm going to buy Prepar3d but I have decided to upgrade my PC first. This thing I'm using is over 7 years old. It was nice to see it set up on another system before I dive in. Due to limited time and the fact that I wasn't used to the stick or the aircraft, I didn't fly but still got a good look around.
Last edited by Steve M on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby F35LightningII » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:59 am

Flying Trucker wrote:
Wonder how it works with Windows 8?

FSX works fine with Windows 8 so I presume Prepar3D won't have a problem.
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply F35Lightning11... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I tried using it with my Windose 8 64-bit set up. It's a dual core AMD A10 5700 with Radeon HD graphics running at 3.4Gb. 8Gb memory. FSX gold with acc works really well. However, there are some issues with PrepR3d using any Saitek equipment. I use a Saitek X45 in FSX, but it won't work properly with P3D. Neither will X52 ( I hate the twist stick anyway) Or will yoke and rudder. Now if you try for the 1st little while it seems to run almost ok, but, and a big BUT. After closing down P3D and using other programs, you start up again. everything goes haywire. The rudder won't turn left, the throttle won't advance properly and won't cut. All sorts of things. I tried everything, but Saitek won't respond, neither can you communicate directly with P3D. They do have a great return program though. I got my $200 back, but I will try a developer license as soon as they have a version for Win8. <<u
logjam
Major
Major

Postby RAFSB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Hello logjam,

We have 9 PCs running Prepar3d at our Aerospace Facility and all have the Saitek X52 and all work very well. Just haven't had the time to do a setup yet.
I use the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Rudders at home with Prepar3d and haven't had a problem yet.
HP AMD A10 Quad Core 12 gig ram, 2T HD twin monitors running from the onboard video.
Last edited by RAFSB on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:15 pm

logjam wrote:I tried using it with my Windose 8 64-bit set up. It's a dual core AMD A10 5700 with Radeon HD graphics running at 3.4Gb. 8Gb memory. FSX gold with acc works really well. However, there are some issues with PrepR3d using any Saitek equipment. I use a Saitek X45 in FSX, but it won't work properly with P3D. Neither will X52 ( I hate the twist stick anyway) Or will yoke and rudder. Now if you try for the 1st little while it seems to run almost ok, but, and a big BUT. After closing down P3D and using other programs, you start up again. everything goes haywire. The rudder won't turn left, the throttle won't advance properly and won't cut. All sorts of things. I tried everything, but Saitek won't respond, neither can you communicate directly with P3D. They do have a great return program though. I got my $200 back, but I will try a developer license as soon as they have a version for Win8. <<u

Try using SPAD, it works with Prepr3d.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby RAFSB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 am

Yesterday we,(Regional Community Aerospace Facility) officiall launched Prepar3d. Along with invited guests and the News Media we set up a confrence call with the Prepar3d Team in Orlando Flordia.
We had 15 Rpyal Canadian Air Cadets (822 Tutor Squadron) manning the sims. We now have 11 sims with Prepar3d installed. This included the F-35 cockpit.
Below is a link to the News broadcast from last night.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=909740
RAFSB
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby johnman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello Out There,

I Have just downloaded and installed Prerar3D - No problems with the installation !! Was able to jump right in and start flying !! Getting used to a New UI was a bit of a Challenge - it seems to be doing the same thing - a bit different - I was happy to find out that I can migrate My Favorite Air Planes - just by dragging them across the HardDrive !!

I got the developer version - I figure that way If it doesn't work out - I don't have to renew !

I was impressed with the Default Scenery - much better that the original - However Generic - and I am looking forward to migrating some of my favorite areas . :lol:

So far Prepar3D looks like a Keeper - I have run into a couple of little speed bumps - I run a Logicteh Extreme 3D Joystick - Everything works great - except for the Throttle ??? - I have tried Calibration and changing the sensitivities and nul points - No Help ! I'm using the 9and 3 keys till I get a new throttle cable ! If anyone has any suggestions for a cure I would be much appreciative !! :D

I have also noticed that Lights are either All On - or All Off - CNTL L Turns the landing light Off - but it seems there are Two Landing Lights - One on top of the other ?? _ and it only turns one off ??? - I guess I'll wait a bit - to see if any thing else turns up - and the do a post on the Prepar3D site Forum !

I Just wanted to let fellow Flight Simmers know that Prepar3D is definatly worth a $10.00 trial - Give'r a couple Low Passes - a touch and Go or two - and if She fly's straight and level - Its worth the money !

I'm looking forward to deleting FSX off my Hard Drive and Going with a New Ride ( Maybe Not Quit Yet !! ) :dance:

Johnman <<q
johnman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to Prepar3D