Help! Vista won't play Combat Flight Simulator 3

The latest Air Battle game from Microsoft! Running on an entirely new platform, CFS3 is raising it's fair share of problems & opinions - Good & Bad!

Help! Vista won't play Combat Flight Simulator 3

Postby Fly2e » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:06 am

"When Ken upgraded his computer system, it came with Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system.

Suddenly, he found that some of the programs that had worked on his old Windows Me-based system, weren't running on the new Vista OS.

Specifically, Combat Flight Simulator 3.

He succinctly puts his problem this way, "I have an original version of Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 that I played on my old Windows Me. When that system died, I was stuck having to buy the new Vista, which seems is only compatible with an unlimited credit card."

Running legacy programs (those written for earlier operating systems) can be a challenge, but there is a way to get most of them at least up and running.

It seems a number of people are having the same problem as Ken. It is to be noted that Microsoft writes both the game and the operating system, so one might be forgiven in thinking that the two would work together.

One of the first things to do when something doesn't work is post the problem on the web. There will invariably be others who have had the same experience and even some who have solved the problem.

In Ken's case, one user suggested Ken make sure he has installed all the latest updates for the Vista operating system, then try putting the mouse pointer over the game icon and pressing the right mouse button. When the dialogue box opens, instruct the computer to run the game as administrator.

If that doesn't work, right click again and choose properties. Here a new screen will open up with a tab at the top that says, "compatibility." Click that tab and then click the first box to enable the game to play in XP mode. Press OK and the game should play.

Getting legacy programs running in a way they should can be a challenge at times. Sometimes they require certain components that didn't come with the new operating system. Active X comes to mind here.

Other times, the older program doesn't recognize a more modern graphics card, or fails to install entirely.

In both Windows XP and Vista, there is an ability to tell the operating system to operate the program as if it were an XP or even Windows 95 program. The key is the compatibility tab on the program's properties sheet.

On Apple computers, the key is in ensuring you have a folder with Macintosh's OS 9 operating system. Some older programs will not run under the new OS X system. These programs will let you know when they come up with a message saying OS 9 couldn't be found.

Of course, the reverse is true when buying a new program for your computer. Make sure, before you make your purchase, you have carefully checked the system requirements for the program and that your system meets the criteria. There is nothing more frustrating than getting your purchase home, only to find out your memory is lower than what is needed, or your graphic's card is not up to snuff for the new software. "
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Help! Vista won't play Combat Flight Simulator 3

Postby Fozzer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:29 am

I have boxes and boxes of Computer PC games dating back to the early 1990's, (and 1980's), and if I want to run them, as I do, I have to reinstall my Operating System; Win '95, '98SE; Graphics Cards (3DFX Voodoo, etc); Direct X, etc...etc...

...one of the many reasons why I still use Win XP as standard, and Win '98SE as back up. Much of my older, more used, programs and Drivers will not run under Windows Vista, (or Win XP), even under "Compatibility Mode"...;)...!

As Dave says....peek very carefully at the specifications printed on the box before you buy...;)...!

F....an "old-time" Computer Game enthusiast... :)...!

...I keep ALL my "Old" Hardware and Software for such occasions... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby IndioBlack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

"Compatibility Tab ?"
What a load of horse-dung that feature is.
Almost every flight sim written before XP will not work in XP. I don't expect Vista to be any better.
Bill Gates makes his money by selling new operating systems every few years that force you to abandon your favourite programmes and buy new ones. He's a true hero of capitalism.
IndioBlack
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Plugpennyshadow » Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 am

This is not about CFS3 as such but it is related.  Does anyone remember the game Fighters Anthology?  A really simple control setup and flight model.  The flight models, weapons performance and such were drastically improved by the modding community and the game provided many hours of fun.

Then came the faster puter chips and busses.  The program will run on XP and Vista machines such as my current one, but the planes respond uber fast.  Nothing else is overspeed, just the pitch and roll rates of the user planes.  And no work around has been found as far as I have been able to tell...

I keep a Pentium 2 based machine just to fly FA on...

It has been my experience that stuff does just get dated and it is no longer cost effective to update such items as FA or CFS3.  As I understand it, CFS3 didnt sell as well as was hoped?  The different game engine I believe?  Perhaps the demise of the franchise is in part our fault?

Just my two cents...
Plugpennyshadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby IndioBlack » Tue May 19, 2009 3:40 am

Maybe games do get dated. But Bill Gates accelerates that dating by deliberately making them obsolete in his pursuit of money.
Back in the old days, the programmers used to turn out flight sims that were so full of features that they only just played on your current system... but the promise was that the next generation of computers would be able to take full advantage of all the features.
What happens with the next generation of computers now, is that they won't play your old games at all.
IndioBlack
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jimclarke » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

I had a Dell notebook computer with Vista and it ran CFS3 just fine.  Maybe there is some incompatability between certain makes/models/specs?

I don't know, I'm not real computer smart.

Jim
No God? Know God!
jimclarke
Captain
Captain

Postby foxtrot yellow leader » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I have a dual core 2.0 ghz with an amd 64 processor 2 gb ram a niva ge force graphics 256mgs card with 60 percent free hard drive.  I cannot get ms combat flight simulater3 to play.  It always studders for 3 to 5 seconds then freezes.  Read your forum so tryed properties on the game to run admin.  didnt work. Tryed to reconfgure to 98 or 95 or me the games reads file is ei :-Xhter missing or corrupted.  Tryed turning down the graphics card no work The Xp operating system has all services paks and newest drivers.   HELP  HELP
foxtrot yellow leader
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Plugpennyshadow » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 am

Get Acronis Boot Manager Suite 10.0 and install any operating system you want.  I have Win95, Win98, WinME, WinXP Pro64 and Vista Ultimate64 on my machine.  95, 98 and ME share a partitioned 500gig Sata Drive.  XP Pro64 and Vist U64 are on their own 300gig Sata Vraptor drives.

I play Fighters Anthology, with a patch designed by one the modding community, CFS 3 and many more.  I just have to change OS to do it.  I simply re-boot.  I did have some interesting times getting some right Vid Card and Sound stuff for some of the legacy programs working.  I have a 3DFX Voodoo card and a real old SB soundcard on PCI slots in my machine.  They dont work at all with XP or Vista.  But when I boot 95, 98 or ME they have the drives for them.
Plugpennyshadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 3