Wot No Hurricane!

The latest Air Battle game from Microsoft! Running on an entirely new platform, CFS3 is raising it's fair share of problems & opinions - Good & Bad!

Wot No Hurricane!

Postby DavidGH » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:33 am

Hi All,
I am just old enough to remember WW2, and I must say I'm a little surprised that there is no Hurricane in CFS3. It was still very much a front line fighter at the time in 1944, although Typhoons were superceding them.
Has anyone created a Hurricane for CFS3.0?
DavidGH
DavidGH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Wot No Hurricane!

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:35 am

I agree 100%. It was one of the few planes that was in service, and I think production, for the entire war from start to finish, and well before.
I suppose because, for what you got, a 300+ mph plane, with great maneuvrability, a number of weapons and payload options, using a standard stock engine, at a fraction of the cost of Spits, Typhoons and the like.

For my flying style, nothing can turn like it and maintain it's speed.

Anyway, enough with the fan club. If there is no Hurri available in the SimV downloads then there's none I know of but someone may know another site where you might pick one up.
Rest assured, I'm pretty sure someone will come up with something soon as it is such a glaring omission.
;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:30 pm

There will be Hurricanes made for CFS3 soon... I hope...

The Hurricane was still being made in 1943 BUT production ceased in 1944. The Hurricane was being replaced by Typhoons in 1943 and so I presume thats why they left it out.

I must say that it pissed me off too. I love the Hurricane. No other aircraft did more to save the free world and so I do hope we get one soon.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:54 pm

Aeroplane Heaven made a Huricane for CFS3, but it's payware
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DavidGH » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:34 pm

According to Jane's 'Fighting Aircraft of WW2' production of the Hurricane did indeed cease in Sept 1944. Jane's says that it was still a front-line fighter in 1944/5, and,fitted with rockets, was used in the Adriatic and the Burma campaign. Perhaps it wasn't used much in Europe by then.

But that's not really the point. The fact is that for much of the war the Hurricane was, with the Spitfire, the backbone of the RAF fighter strength, and for that reason alone I would have thought it should have been included in CFS3.

DavidGH

There will be Hurricanes made for CFS3 soon... I hope...

The Hurricane was still being made in 1943 BUT production ceased in 1944. The Hurricane was being replaced by Typhoons in 1943 and so I presume thats why they left it out.

I must say that it pissed me off too. I love the Hurricane. No other aircraft did more to save the free world and so I do hope we get one soon.
DavidGH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Polynomial » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:46 am

althought the spit got the claim to fame during the BOB, there was about 3 times the number of hurricanes and they got way more kills and all that kinda stuff
Polynomial
Major
Major

Postby DavidGH » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:41 am

What you say is true, but CFS3 simulates the events of 1944/5, five years after the Battle of Britain. By that time the Hurricane was no longer in production. It couldn't match the speed, maneuverability and fire power of more modern aircraft on both sides. But there were thousands still in use around the world. As I said, I don't know what part it played in the battle for Europe, but because it is such a famous marque, surely it could have been included in the sim anyway.

DavidGH

althought the spit got the claim to fame during the BOB, there was about 3 times the number of hurricanes and they got way more kills and all that kinda stuff
DavidGH
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 3