router ports

Discuss Multiplayer flying. Arrange events, chat, recommend & ask questions here!

router ports

Postby Deja » Fri May 06, 2011 7:24 am

I manually set all 101 ports in my router only to find out that when I checked them they ALL failed...EVERYONE failed. i have no idea what i did wrong but it was all for naught. I turned off the windows firewall and they still all failed. I really want to fly online but I am thinking I have a bette rcahnce of getting my license, buying my own plane and flying in the real world easier than on-line! I don't understand why it has to be this difficult. Gamespy is impossible and I'm ready to hang up the joystick.

Any help?

Thanks, Dave
Deja
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: router ports

Postby Strategic Retreat » Tue May 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Difficult to help you unless you tell at the very least what kind of router you use, but... usually a router has more than one single RJ45 net connection (the net cable socket), and MY router allows to open ports based on the PC connected to a given cable socket.

For an example, if I open port 8080 on the socket 1, which goes towards my game PC, the other three PCs connected to the other sockets would not be able to access said port unless I enter inside the router's software and enable it to the sockets their PCs are connected as well, and so I believe behave all the other multi-socket routers out there.

Are you sure, in short, that the ports you opened were opened towards the socket where your PC is physically connected to the router?

Your router, to be able to call itself such, should have the ability to assign open ports to each and every computer connected, even the wireless clients, and you might, just might have instructed your router to open the ports you need to wards perhaps an unused socket. Try searching on the manuals.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Re: router ports

Postby ShaneG » Thu May 19, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote]I manually set all 101 ports in my router only to find out that when I checked them they ALL failed...EVERYONE failed. i have no idea what i did wrong but it was all for naught. I turned off the windows firewall and they still all failed. I really want to fly online but I am thinking I have a bette rcahnce of getting my license, buying my own plane and flying in the real world easier than on-line! I don't understand why it has to be this difficult. Gamespy is impossible and I'm ready to hang up the joystick.

Any help?
ShaneG
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Multiplayer