Multiplayer Voice

Discuss Multiplayer flying. Arrange events, chat, recommend & ask questions here!

Multiplayer Voice

Postby The Ruptured Duck » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I purchased a headset a while back and ever since I have not been able to communicate effectively.  The best luck I have had was one time when one person could hear me, but it was so soft it wasn't worth the effort to communicate. 

My headset was some Logitech product which attached to your ears and around your head.  When I tested it through Windows, it worked and I can even hear my voice when I test it through the headphones.

Anyone have a clue?
"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing" -Ben Franklin

"Man must rise above the Earth to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only
The Ruptured Duck
Major
Major

Re: Multiplayer Voice

Postby Ang2dogs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Duck, You did the first test with the windows app and you said that the test confirms that your mic and headset is working, wich means that your PC is OK, and [glow=yellow,2,300]your good to go.[/glow] So here's what I learned about using voice thru the FSX multiplayer, most likely it's the other players that are not set up right, with that said here's what to do to make sure your multiplayer settings are working for you.

1st in your sound settings:

As you can see voice is at 100% and everything else I have set much lower. That's because it seems voice sets the standard for the volume for the other sounds. The settings I have for engines for example is just enough for me to hear my engines at just the level I like cause I just can't fly with out listening to my motors. So set up the first 3 settings to your likeing, but going over 25% (especially for Environment) might be the limit, and engines depend on the aircraft for adjustment, for cockpit sounds I belive 10% is just right to stay that way.
I also have a logitech headset and mic, once you have the above the way you like, than you can control the main volume with the headset volume control. Now on to the most common problem(s) concerning multiplayer voice.

Lets go to Network Settings,

If your hosting a session, Voice compression depends on how much bandwidth you get from your ISP, the higher the #, the better the sound, but that's only on your end, if other players got a slower connection and low bandwidth [glow=yellow,2,300]than it's them [/glow]and not you, I have a really fast connection, and the default setting works just fine, I didn't see no difference at 128.000 Kbps, even with another player that we both set to that setting, so I just leave it on the default. Now if the host has it on a lower setting the sound is low volume and scratchy or broken-up, again not your problem, so let's move on to the next situation.

OK whether or not you are hosting or joining, these settings are the ones that have the most effect on the multiplayer voice.

#1: If I'm not hosting I usally stay away from sessions that have more than 20 players (25 at the max). Because if you don't have cooperation amongst players, everyone is stepping on each other, and like I mention at the begining, most players don't have (or don't know how) to get there settings right. That's why some come in really low or, to loud, or to broken-up. (Also, On a different note, I notice the sim gets laggy with to many players)

#2 Pretty obvious, Got to have Broadband and it seems alot of players don't know how there connected to the internet, and that drives me crazy when they keep checking in and out trying to use voice, cause that disrupts the connection and is the most cause of the sim crashing during multiplayer.
So to anyone else reading this, please, if you don't have a broadband connection, your just going to have to deal with the chat window.

#3:As mentioned on #1, to many people on an open channel is chaos, enough said.

and #4: If you don't know how to use your radio, in real life , you wouldn't be aloud to fly an aircraft, (unless of course if you have a hearing disability). So I use, Only activated using aircraft radios, because that's the way it is in real life, and if some one wants to be ATC they can use the tower frq or the Center frq, and not to get off subject but using the radio as real as it gets can get as sophisticated as having ATC from ground to take-off to departure,etc. Also you can have a privet conversation with another player on a different channel (that's the only flaw with FS radio, you don't have to worry about line of sight communication) Also It's easier to get rid of the rift raff, I have a code word for friends, to switch to, another channel when someone is being disruptive, love using that kick button!

So with all that said and done here's the last thing that causes the most problem for players using voice for the first time,

Using the default CAPS LOCK on your keyboard as your mike button, just doesn't seem to work properly. So the cure for that is to assign a button on your joystick or yoke if you have one, which is much more realistic and works like using a real mike in a real aircraft. Here's how to do that:

STEP 1
Open your controls setting
open buttons/keys
go to multiplayer
were it says, Transmit Voice (START)
delete all assignments
click new assignment
pick a button on your joystike/yoke
make sure the repeat slider is blank

STEP 2
Ang2dogs
Captain
Captain

Postby skoker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Or...
Last edited by skoker on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skoker
Major
Major

Postby The Ruptured Duck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks Angus!

I knew about the aircraft radios being set to the right frequency, but I never thought about the voice or the key assignment.  It seems like something I would have already tried, but in my grand old age of 23 I seem to be losing the motivation to test every last theory of why some part of flight sim doesn't work! ;D

I will try this and get back soon!
"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing" -Ben Franklin

"Man must rise above the Earth to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only
The Ruptured Duck
Major
Major

Postby Ang2dogs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 am

[quote]Or...
Ang2dogs
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 am

As Jordan mentioned, the Sim V Server is remarkably simple and east to connect to, with a couple of clicks of a button, especially with we keen users of FS 2004, (and even some of our FSX Pilots), with little, or no problems!...>>>>

Instant connectivity!... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]...!

http://cockpit.netfrag.org:81/

...it also caters admirably for; "Teamspeak" users... :)...!

Paul...G-BPLF..FS 2004...FS Navigator... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby vincentcoolguy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:46 am

Is a headset really neaded?

I've got an sound recorder inside my webcam, and i have a microphone that i can plug into my computer.

Plz answer :)
vincentcoolguy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Ang2dogs » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Aslong as your voice isn't coming out of your external speakers, your ok. But if you can here yourself  (out of your speakers), than the person(s) that you are talking to will here you as an echo or distorted. I belive the sp2 patch has incorperated an option in the sound controls were you can use 2 different sound cards, so you can set up one for outside sounds (engines, enviorment,ect.), and the other set up for headphones just to hear voice and talk back.
Ang2dogs
Captain
Captain

Return to Multiplayer