IP No. theory

Discuss Multiplayer flying. Arrange events, chat, recommend & ask questions here!

IP No. theory

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:56 pm

Could somone PLEASE explain to me the entire theory behind the mythical Internet Protocol? Mine changes each time I boot, but the IP on another computer I know of doesn't? How can I get a static one, and how do they get assigned?
Thanks, Dan
3DMark01 || [url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/]OCUK - The best UK shop
Dan
Major
Major

Re: IP No. theory

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:08 pm

Okay the IP no. is something that is assigned to you when you're on the net. Floating IP nos. mean that your ISP has a set allocation of numbers, and when you connect to them they assign you one for the duration of your connection.
A fixed IP normally means you are connected to a major service provider (such as a cable company) and they assign your line this permanent number.
Its all to do with TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) here is a short definition of IP;

Abbreviation of Internet Protocol, pronounced as two separate letters. IP specifies the format of packets, also called datagrams, and the addressing scheme. Most networks combine IP with a higher-level protocol called Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), which establishes a virtual connection between a destination and a source.
IP by itself is something like the postal system. It allows you to address a package and drop it in the system, but there's no direct link between you and the recipient. TCP/IP, on the other hand, establishes a connection between two hosts so that they can send messages back and forth for a period of time.
Last edited by ozzy72 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby eno » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:48 am

Most people in the UK have floating IPs unless they have a cable connection which is always on.. even with this you have to pay extra to keep the same IP.

Most broadband connections have floating IPs as you can turn them off much the same as a dial up connection. The difference with broadband is that for the most part they can be left on .... Dial up tends to have a 2 hr cut off.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Skittles » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:09 pm

I use a router so running IPCONFIG.EXE to determine my IP address is pointless.
Last edited by Skittles on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do computers and air conditioners have in common?Image
They both will work perfectly, until you open windows.
Skittles
Captain
Captain

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:23 pm

Thanks Mark.. and all others... Dan
3DMark01 || [url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/]OCUK - The best UK shop
Dan
Major
Major

Postby eno » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:02 am

[quote]I use a router so running IPCONFIG.EXE to determine my IP address is pointless.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:22 am

Or the easiest way of all, once you've connected to the net in your toolbar on the right you'll see two little monitors who's screens flash blue and black. Right click on them and then click on Status then Details, this will show you all you need to know ;)

Mark

Ps. If you want to see where things are going and by what IP addresses get Ping Plotter at www.downloads.com ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby eno » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 am

Or the easiest way of all, once you've connected to the net in your toolbar on the right you'll see two little monitors who's screens flash blue and black. Right click on them and then click on Status then Details, this will show you all you need to know ;)

Mark

Ps. If you want to see where things are going and by what IP addresses get Ping Plotter at www.downloads.com ;)

That'll only give you the internal IP that the router assigns .... it wont show your external IP @ least it doesnt with my router.
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Stevil_knevil » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:05 pm

I dont know if this is any help to you but i use this little program all the time especially for my Teamspeak2 server:  http://www.no-ip.com

It works well with some multiplayer games too although I cannot speak for FS2004 as I havent tried multiplayer yet, being new to the program.

It basically assigns an address so that when you run the program someone could just use EI "Dan.no-ip.info"
and that would automatically connect them to your current IP.

Hope thats of some help!  :)

Steve
MSI K7T pro2a
768 DDR ram
ATI Radeon 9800pro (H.I.S Ice q)
Athlon 2000XP
Windows XP pro
Stevil_knevil
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Multiplayer